Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Who's going to be the first with a meth piggy + custom ATR map as a package?

With Cobb ATP/ATR on the horizon and meth having such a strong presence in the N54 community, who will be the first to bring to market a simple dedicated meth system (boost controller or something a tad more sophisticated) with a custom meth map for the various octanes availible? A JB4-lite meth kit, for example, around $500 for the whole package?

As for a cobb flash meth failsafe, why can't such a meth piggy send the DME a signal that immediately triggers limp mode on flow disruption?

In any case I see this platform making huge leaps forward once the flash and piggy worlds collide in harmony, as has been initially shadetreed with the JB4+Cobb stacking that dzenno has discussed at length. Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Terry already has a meth kit out for flash tunes:
    BMS WW Quick Install Meth Kit Non-Integrated For Flash Tuning
    Only $369.00

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The failsafe doesn't have to interact with the DME. Failsafes and meth has been done on plenty of flash tunes before.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Aquamist, Coolingmist and Snow all have kits (very expensive ones) with flow sensors, guages and failsafes built in that do not need to work with a tune at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes, Terry has a non integrated kit. It's marketed for flash tunes but in reality it's just a meth pump with a boost switch. I'm talking about a kit with a dedicated controller and custom Cobb map intended to work together. The custom map would run increased timing/boost over any OTS map, and I suppose would come with remote support for fine tuning.

I need to add that this is specific to us brand-loyal cobb fanboys! I understand there are a myriad of non-cobb meth options.

DME failsafe interaction is required on a meth tune because the timing (if taking advantage of the cooler burn) will cause det if the meth fails. This is of course assuming the DME is controlling timing in the first place, and not the piggy. 4G63 evo's have been doing this for years running aquamist controllers and gauges which can trigger an ECU fault on meth failure - but they typically run open source tuning or stand alone ECU's at that level. Subies never really embraced meth as much as the N54 crowd has, mostly due to Cobb having the vast majority of the tuning market captured and there being no straight forward ECU-meth controller interaction to reducing timing and/or boost on meth failure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Ah, I see where you're going. This is the reason I sold my Cobb and went to BMS. Really wanted to run meth and figured there was NEVER going to be a time then the flash tune could integrate a meth controller and lower boost or timing in the event of a no flow situation. Some guys are aleady running Cobb with meth and the Race maps I really didn't feel like waiting and am more than happy with JB4/meth combo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Why not just stack them? I thought I read on the other forum that full Meth integration isn't at the top of COBB's list so who knows if they will ever get there. Beyond the overall expense, there doesn't seem to be any major issues with stacking them. Run an ATP/ATP custom map (or OTS map) for non-meth and then raise boost/timing with Meth using the JB4.

Another option I thought I saw discussed was somehow integrating a Meth failsafe into the throttle causing the throttle plate to close upon loss in flow. Not sure how feasible this option is but it might be a way to stick completly with COBB and have some sort of Meth integration.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Nobody will be the first, because ATR is a pipe dream. I've heard about this for over a year now, but its pretty much vaporware at this point. I wish BMS had a handheld flash tuner :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Access Tuner Pro is some tuners hands now. ATR should be coming eventually. Definitely not a pipe dream.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Access Tuner Pro is already in beta form at many tuning shops, so it's not vaporware by any means. ATR beta for the masses however, I'll see it when I see it. I was a fairly proficient ATR tuner in the Subie game which is why I'm excited to see it hit the N54 market with all the intelligent people here. One thing I could never figure out is triggering an inherent ECU/DME protective mode via controller board or aquamist output, and use it as a meth failsafe. Then I sold the STi for my 135i.

And sure, Cobb won't take the lead on a meth controller kit, that's why I'm suggesting that a piggy guru (ahem, Terry) come up with a cheap controller board that can produce a failsafe signal (R&D) to cause a custom cobb map (ATP) to trigger limp mode in the DME upon meth failure. The map would be a high boost / high timing race map with the safety of a DME integrated failsafe.

Why not just stack a JB4 and a custom map? Because a turn-key meth kit to seamlessly integrate with cobb's massive business model seems like a cool oportunity that might have me busting out my soldering kit if someone doesn't do it first! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I had thought about stacking them at first but raced a buddy of mine with a JB4 on Map 2 wtih DP and DCI(I was FBO + Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC Aggressive) and we were dead even on 3 different pulls. After that I asked myself, what am I really gaining by using Cobb for pump gas? Nothing really, I could sure find a way to spend that $650 if I sold the Cobb too. I'm really happy with the JB4/Meth and was really happy with the Cobb. Obviously the JB4/Meth is alot faster than Cobb on pump gas. I'm glad I've tried multiple tunes. Maybe one day I'll try PROcede....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Access Tuner Pro is some tuners hands now. ATR should be coming eventually. Definitely not a pipe dream.
    So why would the tuning shops get it? It's the users that are going to push it and prove it on daily driven vehicles. How long have they been talking about it now? Are they helping Unfor tune his single turbo, too? LOL