Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Direct Injection Info, Adding injector.

This was an article written by ZZPerformance about fueling with the LNF motor. The same motor in my cobalt SS. They added an 5th injector to work with the direct injection without any problems. I'm not sure if this should go in Advanced Tech, but I know this is worthy for the n54 tech guys. This is how they get more power from D/I with my motor, maybe you guys can use it for yours somehow.

The Ecotec 2.0 liter turbocharged LNF engine has proven to be nothing short of amazing. In stock form, it produces
    130 horsepower per liter of displacement, making it the highest output motor that GM has ever put into production. But it gets better! Add a handful of bolt-on modifications and you can add close to another 100 hp. You can also upgrade the turbocharger to a larger unit, and gain even more power! Perhaps even better, the LNF can also continue to average more than 30 miles per gallon even with 500 or more horsepower available when you hit the throttle. Part of the success is due to the direct injection fuel system utilized on the LNF engine. Direct injection, commonly referred to as DI, means that the fuel injectors actually spray directly into the combustion chamber, rather than into the intake ports as done in more common port-fuel injection. DI has the benefit of more accurate fuel placement and timing, which creates more horsepower even while using less fuel. However, it does bring about a new limitation. Rather than being able to spray fuel at any time, DI is limited to a window that is less than 40% of the engine cycle. The reason for this is simple. First, you can not start spraying fuel until the exhaust valve has closed. If the exhaust valve was still open, then fuel will spray right past the valve and burn in the manifold. While this strategy can be combined with retarded ignition timing to help spool a large turbo, it can not promote proper combustion when revving through the power band. Next, the DI injector must close with enough time for the fuel to travel where it needs to be before the spark plug fires. Spraying fuel too late in the cycle results in poor combustion and even misfires. Horsepower will typically decrease if the injector duty cycle is pushed past 40%, although this number varies based on the actual open and close angles utilized.

So what does this mean and is it important? Well, if you are running the stock turbo and filling your tank with gasoline, then you have nothing to worry about. The factory LNF fuel system can supply enough fuel for any amount of airflow that you will get from the stock turbo. When switching to E85, things change. Since the LNF burns approximately
    30% more E85 compared to gas, the fuel system can now reach its limitations. The LNF uses two fuel pumps. The pump in the tank is of the common variety. It is an electric pump that supplies fuel with a regulated 60psi. This pump has very high flow for a factory pump. It can support up to 750(flywheel) horsepower on gasoline and 550 hp on E85. However, there is a second pump required in order to increase fuel pressure to more than 2200psi in order to spray directly into the
    combustion chamber even while the air pressure in the cylinder is already several hundred psi. This mechanical fuel pump is driven by the intake camshaft, which means that its output varies based on engine speed. While this is great when revving higher to make power with bigger turbos or aftermarket cams, it also means that at low engine speeds, available fuel volume is decreased. Anyone who runs E85 fuel with an aggressive tune to bring in boost at lower RPMs quickly finds out that the fuel system is not going to keep up. While the mechanical fuel pump is pumping slowly, but the turbo is already moving a lot of air, the pump simply does not move enough fuel. As a result, the fuel pressure will drop. While the ECM compensates by increasing the length of time that the injectors are open, this means that fuel is being delivered outside of the optimum injection window. Horsepower will then drop off or stay flat instead of climbing. Once the engine RPM is high enough to allow the mechanical pump to deliver enough fuel, then power will pick up again. Due to this problem, many
    have set up their ECM to bring in the boost slower in order to avoid the situation. However, this was no longer necessary
    after ZZP released our intake cam with larger fuel pump lobe. The larger pump lobe on this cam increases fuel pump piston travel by 27%, resulting in fuel flow increases of more than 20%. This has proven to adequately provide fuel on setups making more than 400 ft lbs of torque! When the factory cam is driving the pump, fuel system limits can be reached somewhere more in the area of 325-350 ft lbs of torque. Although this has become a popular mod for customers running E85 and/or larger than stock turbos, it is not for everyone. Others would prefer easier bolt-on modifications rather than swapping out the camshafts. Some people already have our cams, but still want more fuel system potential to run larger turbos pushing more than 450 ft lbs of torque when the boost hits. For these customers, we developed the new ZZP LNF5,
    which is a 5th injector system. The concept behind this kit is simple. When your mechanical fuel pump can no longer keep up
    with fuel system demands, you can divert some of the fuel from the DI fuel system and spray it directly into the intake manifold. Our 5th injector kit includes an adjustable controller that you mount inside the car. The controller allows you to set the boost level that you would like the 5th injector to begin spraying. It starts at a low duty cycle in order to keep the air
    fuel ratio from changing abruptly. The controller also includes a high boost setting which is the boost level at which your 5th injector will reach 100% duty cycle. The fuel injector mounts to the intake manifold in an existing hole, so the manifold does not have to be removed from the engine. In fact, the entire install can be completed in less than an hour. Simply unbolt the
    factory EVAP solenoid, mount the 5th injector kit, re-install the EVAP solenoid on the supplied bracket, and connect 4 wires.
    It is that simple.

While the LNF5 does not require tuning in some applications, it is usually beneficial to fine tune the ECM to match up better with the added fuel delivery. We can supply tech support for this type of tuning, and we also offer ECM files with these changes already in place. Feel free to contact us if you need help setting up your ECM file.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very good article
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    very good article
    Wish there was more to it! I feel like there is so much more
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Moved to advanced tech.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Moved to advanced tech.
    Thanks, maybe we can get some more views and comments about this. If this is even applicable for the n54.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks, maybe we can get some more views and comments about this. If this is even applicable for the n54.
    It's applicable to advanced tech, we'll see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It has been brought up before. I remember when there was more nitrous testing going on someone was talking about running a wet kit to overcome the fuel limitation we were seeing.

The major issue with running a single additional injector pre-manifold is distribution. We already know that air distribution isn't perfect with the N54 and depending on injector placement you might not get even fuel distribution into THAT air. So...we could definitely work on it but we need to monitor each cylinder individually in the testing phase at the very least.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    It has been brought up before. I remember when there was more nitrous testing going on someone was talking about running a wet kit to overcome the fuel limitation we were seeing.

The major issue with running a single additional injector pre-manifold is distribution. We already know that air distribution isn't perfect with the N54 and depending on injector placement you might not get even fuel distribution into THAT air. So...we could definitely work on it but we need to monitor each cylinder individually in the testing phase at the very least.
    It was me with the stand alone fuel supply. More can be read here http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...eel-horsepower . It works perfectly with the nitrous although I do not think its the best as you mention in regard to distribution and wouldn't chance it in the long run. My objective was to go with the six fogger solution if the pump worked out well which it did. Then I lost interest in the car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    It was me with the stand alone fuel supply. More can be read here http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...eel-horsepower . It works perfectly with the nitrous although I do not think its the best as you mention in regard to distribution and wouldn't chance it in the long run. My objective was to go with the six fogger solution if the pump worked out well which it did. Then I lost interest in the car Click here to enlarge
    Ah nice!

Yea so the direct port wet setup seems great especially since you could set it up with a nitrous kit and have the fuel injectors just come on for higher boost and just go higher if you were going to spray. But due to the aforementioned air distribution issues I would still think monitoring each cylinder would be necessary no?

BTW, whats with the loosing interest? Click here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Ah nice!

Yea so the direct port wet setup seems great especially since you could set it up with a nitrous kit and have the fuel injectors just come on for higher boost and just go higher if you were going to spray. But due to the aforementioned air distribution issues I would still think monitoring each cylinder would be necessary no?

BTW, whats with the loosing interest? Click here to enlarge
    Monitoring each cylinder is hard, it's not like each one is monitored in the stock system. You just need a reliable set up that sprays same amounts into eAch cylinder and a system that can shut things down if the secondary fueling system fails.
    Single injectors in the boost line is so 80'sClick here to enlarge

I lost interest because I couldn't get a gearbox upgrade system fast enough and widening the rear of the car to fit bigger tyres was far beyond what I wanted to spend on the car. Then Weistec came along and I am playing with a 63.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

would probably be better if there was an after market intake manifold to spread the flow evenly..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    would probably be better if there was an after market intake manifold to spread the flow evenly..
    In some race series local to me a 335 was used that run a conventional fuel system with motec. The interesting part was that they used another BMW manifold that was complete. So there is something that matches maybe with the used of a adapter or maybe even straight on. It's easy doing a secondary system with small injectors over the DI. If anyone is interested they can search Afrox BMW 335i South Africa.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Lazy. Managed to find a picture.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    034Motorsports makes an axillary injector control box. @RabbitPusher used it for years with success. The only issue I could with the n54 is if injecting extra fuel would mess with the fuel trims. I believe it would based on what we've seen with meth injection.