Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Cobb 2+ Logs..... Boostin' like the Rockies

Anyone seen logs like this before? If I wanted to see mountains I would go to Colorado...

I sent a bunch of logs to Rob to troubleshoot, and expect to get to the bottom of it (I applaud COBB's customer service Click here to enlarge) but I am curious if anyone has insight into what could be going on. Mods are Cobb stage 2+FMIC v301, cp-e FMIC & downpipes, resonator delete, Mr. 5 style intake w/ MS drop in, ets charge pipe with TiAL Q bov...

Plugs, injectors, coils and HPFP are less than 7k miles old. Stage 1 ran perfect with impeccable logs FWIW. When going from peak to valley the BOV is audible. I have NO idea what is going on, IMO the second half of the graphs look pretty good with timing coming back up nicely and boost flattening out. My TiAL Q has a 10# spring... I tried ordering the 11# to see if maybe that had something to do with it, but it didn't help at all so I went back to the 10#.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Can you try logging the WGDC bank1 and bank2? Base value doesn't mean much here...anything is possible but i'm thinking you may have a boost leak..post those WGDC logs up
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

That doesnt look all that bad, make sure have have traction fully off next time. Also if you squeeze that into a 1 inch log scalled from 0-30, it will look procede ish and no one will every know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

look at his throttle plate, its flat...its not traction control
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Are we look at the same thing? The throttle plate is not flat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Traction control is completely off... And every valley corresponds to a bov release and a jittery feeling.... Nothing like a misfire, but rev-bov-rev-bov, etc. etc.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

What gear are these logs in? Maybe you are unsure of what you hear, but what you are describing is impossible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Lol that's what I thought too... hence why I have no idea what is going on... It sounds EXACTLY like the BOV going off. I don't doubt it could be something else though.

both are 3rd gear

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

And is it safe to assume you do not have traction issues during these runs? If not, it simply seems like the wgdc is not working well at all with your turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I've got snow tires on in 55*F temps, so traction isn't great, but I didn't feel anything break loose during the pulls. Turbos are OEM, replaced about 10k miles ago.

Dzenno, here is all I logged for WGDC for the first run:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity, are you running the stock throttle map? Also, what is your ROM version?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

If it was a boost leak wouldn't the madness continue through the high RPM's? That's what I don't get.. .everything smooths out above 4700 RPM

Linear throttle map, 6MT, I8AOS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zasquatch Click here to enlarge
    If it was a boost leak wouldn't the madness continue through the high RPM's? That's what I don't get.. .everything smooths out above 4700 RPM

Linear throttle map, 6MT, I8AOS
    Was gonna say the ST map has known oscillation issues down low but surely not up to 4700 RPM. Thought I had an idea but based on what you're telling me it's not the same issue. Could be an altitude issue being that you are probably far above sea level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

My thread title is misleading.... I'm in eastern CT, probably 20 feet above sea level during the logs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

It's not the waste gates. I am seeing the same thing. It is basically result of Cobbs hybrid approach between boost targeting and load targeting for Stage 2. That's exactly what I've been complaining about the whole time: choppiness. It can be felt in the butt dyno and heard in the exhaust note. The severity is also irregular which ultimately destroys the driver's confidence in the car.

What I've noticed is that this can be somewhat smoothed out, albeit temporarily, by deleting the throttle and idle adaptations in the ECU! You can use either BavTool or INPA to do this.

I can't wait for Cobb to release ATR for our platform. I am tired of choppy power, boost and load delivery! This has been my biggest gripe with their software and I still believe to this day that GIAC have the smoothest tune out there! Less powerful, but smoother, more predictable and one that inspires more driver confidence.

Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Damn, that looks remarkably similar to my second log. That makes me feel a little better that it's not a hardware issue at least. I wonder how many have this issue? You would think they would want to fix it, as it makes going WOT almost unbearable...

I guess I'll see what Rob has to say and wait for your DIY on clearing adaptations via INPA Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I've talked to some local guys here who also run Cobb Stage 2. They see the same thing.

Cobb have been quiet recently, similar to the time before they released Stage 2 into Beta. Cobb ATP is out and they recently discovered and eliminated a fueling limitation in the stock ECU tables (source: dzenno). My bet is that they will release something new very soon!

BTW, try the Sport maps. They seem to be doing a bit better. I am planning on running the Sport maps in the race season.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm hoping the updated maps fix this oscillation issue... I tried the Sport and they do the same thing but much less severe. Same thing with bumping down to stage 2 - the problem is still there but not as aggressive.

It's been going on since September, when I sent Rob my first log capturing the issue. At this point I just want smooth power!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Just FYI, and no offense to Cobb, but I switched back to JB4 on my 1M because I felt oscillation in their maps as well...

And upcoming income tax refund = finally being able to use my WW meth kit. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

BTW, we have the same ECU number which is nothing more than just the last 6 characters of the firmware version BMW put on the ECU...

Here is what INPA sees on my car (BavTool has a bug and reports differently):

Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Cobb said on another forum they have fixed the occilation issue and should have beta stg2 + maps out next week

I just received my Cobb in the mail :-)
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    BTW, we have the same ECU number which is nothing more than just the last 6 characters of the firmware version BMW put on the ECU...

Here is what INPA sees on my car (BavTool has a bug and reports :
    Interesting...l cant wait to get my hands on your English INPA!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Cobb said on another forum they have fixed the occilation issue and should have beta stg2 + maps out next week

I just received my Cobb in the mail :-)
    True that, I just hope this is the same oscillation issue they are referring to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

the stock throttle Stage2+FMIC map oscillates down low and it's quite obvious in the exhaust note. Linear seems fine though. The new "revised" maps will make a bit more power up top Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I dont have these problems which is weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast