Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

COBB/RB Turbos Tuning Discussion, Dynos, Logs, etc.

Thought I'd start a new thread on this topic so its kept clean of other topics at hand. I have worked with Cobb (Rob Irish) in helping them test and learn about the way the flash side of tuning the N54 works. A lot of interesting information has come up in the last year or so, especially since a couple weeks ago when Cobb actually got a pair of their own RB turbos on their 335i.

Some key points so far:

1) No fuel limits exist currently in the stock fuel system. The major one related to MAF calculations has been addressed in the DME's operating system's load control logic and fixed.

2) COBB is currently using the Aquamist HFS-3 with dual 1.0mm nozzles with 80/20 meth.

3) Their RB car has the following mods:

Full catless exhaust (AE catless + Cobb in-house catless downpipes)
    Helix FMIC.
    AFe Intakes
    Forge DVs with the heavier yellow spring
    Custom charge pipe

4) The highest power map "so far" is set to run STOCK fuel pressure at the HPFP. LPFP pressure is left unmodified. We have tested upping FP past stock with no changes to power output or response. At the moment, my car is running a modified HPFP pressure map that requests about 2500psi down low tapering it down to a requested HPFP pressure of 2174psi, holding out to redline. Asking Rob@Cobb about this he tells me this was just left over from testing and we are back down to STOCK HPFP fuel pressure now with the new map I literally just got and haven't tested yet.

5) Car made 496whp/486wtq on the procede in March last year which was setup as follows: stock timing curve, race gas, 100% meth, M14 nozzle, AE catless exhaust and Helix FMIC, with wonky AFRs.

6) Tomorrow, I'm hitting the dyno again. Difference between then on procede and now on Cobb in terms of mods/setup/tune is as follows: STOCK catback (resonator, rear cats and mufflers) instead of AE catless which I sold, AR catless downpipes still on it, BigTom FMIC instead of Helix. Meth is 80/20 with a single CM10 activated using the CMGS VC-2 controller based on boost, set to turn on at 4psi, flowing about 600-650ml/min flow tested to a bucket.

7) The new/latest map from Cobb which I just got and haven't had a chance to run before has some wgdc changes to prevent some throttle trimming that was observed (a bit less wgdc down low, a bit more wgdc up top). Also, timing has been slightly raised in midrange and peaks at 11.5deg. Adding more timing up top didn't add power so it was left there.

8) Car made 262whp BONE STOCK on pump gas on this dyno, 282whp with FBO (with AE catless exhaust and Helix FMIC) and stock turbos on pump gas.

Here are logs with the above setup. This is what I've run this morning. This ISN'T the latest and greatest map just yet. I'll update with logs once I have them later on today. In the new logs I'm expecting to see the HPFP fuel pressure back down to stockish levels and some cleanup to the little throttle trimming that was happening in these logs.

Attachment: 2012-02-17-20psicobb.zip

Looking forward to the dyno. Hopefully I'll get to also try taking off the stock catback while there and do a before/after to see how much the 100% stock catback impacts numbers especially up top.

Another thing I'll try to do is to see what the vacuum readings are on the vacuum line going down from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate and compare that to the wgdc logs. I'm especially curios about this in the 6-7k rpm range to see how additional wgdc impacts adding more boost up top (6-7k rpm) and if in fact more wgdc "could" mean more boost up top or not. Currently we can run more boost to 6k rpm than 20psi but at 6.5k rpm so far max seen was 19-ish psi and 17.5-18psi at 7k rpm. Tried stacking a JB4 as well on top to up boost in the 6-7k rpm but additional PWM didn't help raise boost past what Cobb already did with about 68% wgdc peak (as seen in Cobb's AP logs).
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    6) Tomorrow, I'm hitting the dyno again. Difference between then on procede and now is as follows: STOCK catback (resonator, rear cats and mufflers) instead of AE catless which I sold, AR catless downpipes still on it, BigTom FMIC instead of Helix. Meth is 80/20 with a single CM10 activated using the CMGS VC-2 controller based on boost, set to turn on at 4psi, flowing about 600-650ml/min flow tested to a bucket.
    To be fair, you should add that you also now have a properly coded injector that won't misfire Click here to enlarge

Awesome progress ! Can't wait for the dyno results, I wish you all the best!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kalud Click here to enlarge
    To be fair, you should add that you also now have a properly coded injector that won't misfire Click here to enlarge

Awesome progress ! Can't wait for the dyno results, I wish you all the best!
    I didn't want to throw that out yet again for a few reasons: 1) always leads to a senseless discussion 2) shiv gets heart palpitations when he hears the word "misfire" 3) misfires were happening PAST the peak hp at 6500rpm...but i guess we can throw that out there as well now that you mentioned it

One thing I actually DID forget to add is that my car made 262whp on this dyno BONE STOCK. It did 282whp with FBO and stock turbos on pump gas. I'll see if I can get a baseline as well on my last run up there...

Thanks Kalud!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

ar catless dp + stock exhaust ftw! lol

appreciate all the work and testing you do!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well I agree 100% with you on the fact that it leads to senseless discussion. I pointed it just because its still needed in the list of updates you did. Focus was on fixing your misfire issue at that time and not on making the most power. Everyone learned a lesson, we are over it now (I hope). Your car runs better that ever, that's the goal. Everyone follow your quest and learn.

[/MISFIRE_DISCUSSION] Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kalud Click here to enlarge
    Well I agree 100% with you on the fact that it leads to senseless discussion. I pointed it just because its still needed in the list of updates you did. Focus was on fixing your misfire issue at that time and not on making the most power. Everyone learned a lesson, we are over it now (I hope). Your car runs better that ever, that's the goal. Everyone follow your quest and learn.

[/MISFIRE_DISCUSSION] Click here to enlarge
    Yeaaa, let's end that discussion...even though i'd love to respond again, let's just drop it Click here to enlarge moving on

cheers
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Another thing I'll try to do is to see what the vacuum readings are on the vacuum line going down from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate and compare that to the wgdc logs. I'm especially curios about this in the 6-7k rpm range to see how additional wgdc impacts adding more boost up top (6-7k rpm) and if in fact more wgdc "could" mean more boost up top or not. Currently we can run more boost to 6k rpm than 20psi but at 6.5k rpm so far max seen was 19-ish psi and 17.5-18psi at 7k rpm. Tried stacking a JB4 as well on top to up boost in the 6-7k rpm but additional PWM didn't help raise boost past what Cobb already did with about 68% wgdc peak (as seen in Cobb's AP logs).
    That is extremely interesting! I can't wait to see the result.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
    ar catless dp + stock exhaust ftw! lol
    I totally love the car with the stock catback in place man, had a full catless on for 2.5-3 years and daily driving the car just wasn't fun anymore with the booming noise inside between 1500-2500rpm...when its just your weekend car I'd slap that HPF exhaust on in a heartbeat and crank it wide open Click here to enlarge hopefully its not hindering performance much up top but we'll see
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

My favourite exhaust setup! Silky smooth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Dzenno, just curious... are you going for any sort of RB record (LM style)?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, just curious... are you going for any sort of RB record (LM style)?
    I'm always after records ehhehe but i usually end up breaking other things first...a couple times lol...but at least i try to learn from mistakes and try not to make the same ones again..

too bad @LostMarine as well as hotrod182 aren't around with the N54s any more, really enjoyed the competition...they both had really damn fast N54s
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I'm always after records ehhehe but i usually end up breaking other things first...a couple times lol...

too bad @LostMarine as well as hotrod182 aren't around with the N54s any more, really enjoyed the competition...
    Just wanted to correct your #5, Procede rev 2 ran 2 degrees of offset even when ignition correction was set to 0%. Apparently it's fixed now though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Just wanted to correct your #5, Procede rev 2 ran 2 degrees of offset even when ignition correction was set to 0%. Apparently it's fixed now though.
    To be honest, I've seen that CPS offset and I know first hand from Shiv about that extra offset there even at zero but what/how/how much/etc about it, who the $#@! knows what exactly was going on at that time when logs show one thing and in fact its doing something else...anywayyyyysssss, glad I don't need to deal with that again and great that he's fixed it if he has
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

too bad @LostMarine as well as hotrod182 aren't around with the N54s any more, really enjoyed the competition...they both had really damn fast N54s
    i miss it sometimes too.. My only regret is not doinf a 1st gear launch on the atco day, and/or holding onto it just long enough to attempt it again. I KNOW the car had 10's in it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i miss it sometimes too.. My only regret is not doinf a 1st gear launch on the atco day, and/or holding onto it just long enough to attempt it again. I KNOW the car had 10's in it
    It sure did but you never know man...pushing things usually tends to break things so you may have ended up with a lost motor or a broken tranny...That 11.1 is still light years away from my 11.4 with a 6MT
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

To be honest, I've seen that CPS offset and I know first hand from Shiv about that extra offset there even at zero but what/how/how much/etc about it, who the $#@! knows what exactly was going on at that time when logs show one thing and in fact its doing something else...anywayyyyysssss, glad I don't need to deal with that again and great that he's fixed it if he has
    IIRC you bypassed the CPS all together when you were doing your misfire testing on the dyno. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    IIRC you bypassed the CPS all together when you were doing your misfire testing on the dyno. Click here to enlarge
    Ohhh, that's right! Click here to enlarge he did bypass it altogether...i totally forgot...ya no CPS was used on those runs so we knew it wasn't CPS related
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

By the way, got a message from Cobb saying that it wouldn't be a wise idea to have just an open exhaust as it could/would play with o2 readings having the downpipes open to free air..here's their comment:

===
    Be careful with removing the cat back as the O2 sensors get pissed off if there is a leak let alone a missing exhaust. I drove without a catback out of necessity a few months ago...not pretty.
    ===

I won't be touching my stock catback, it is what it is..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

It's not that bad. Hotrod drove around without it for a day or two and did some nice VBOX runs. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's not that bad. Hotrod drove around without it for a day or two and did some nice VBOX runs. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge ya, and started to mysteriously misfire and get lean spikes right after lol

i'll stay away from it right now, hotrod also set some records on stock catback so i'd like to see that first
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I think he just didn't reinstall after he removed his downpipes the first time when he started getting codes. If you cruise on the highway for awhile you'll get rear o2 sensor faults. I've done it before too. It's not at all practical but fine for dyno comparisons. OEM catback flows fine though, I made 540rw through the more restrictive 135i catback w/ mid cats. So I wouldn't worry about it much either way. Just if you happen to have it strapped down and are getting steady results, and it's easy to remove, it would be a good data point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

We'll see how badly i need that 5-10whp I guess, if that Click here to enlarge

Still at $#@!in work waiting for a production deployment of new code to happen, been at it all day and right now at 98% done for the last 1.5 hours arggghhhhh $#@!ing juniors...can't wait to get outta here and load the latest map to see how it does hehe
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Good luck on the dyno. I'd like to definitely see the dropped exhaust data.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Do some straight pump gas dyno's that's what I am interested in if I could make 450+whp on 93 pump I would be happy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Already been done and I've already done those numbers at 15-16psi on pump 94 gas up here...that's not a problem at all
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast