Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I read that document like I read the documents for electronic components. The device should provide accurate data within the operating range and should not become permanently damaged until you exceed the maximum range. Between the ranges it will not operate properly but also will not become permanently damaged.

But if you are seeing 950c already at only 20 (18?) psi with meth flowing it's definitely going to be sketchy IMHO. And when your engine is depending on it (full time closed loop) you want that sensor reliable.
    Definitely want the widebands reliable, no question, and that's why i'm surprised they haven't added a single EGT probe on their manifold with all that space on it that's easy to get to..that's the first thing i'd do but hey i'm not a tOOner so i'll shut up hhehe...

i am guessing they'll be able to keep cooler EGTs though with a less restrictive exhaust side UNLESS we bounce back to the cylinder head discussion again and get back into the "exhaust ports are too small" then it doesn't matter how large the turbine side of things is if exhaust gases are getting backed up in the head first due to exhaust port sizing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Some good points (or hints as they call them) in that PDF for the sensor:

nstall at a point where the gas is as hot aspossible.

Observe the maximum permissible temperature.

As far as possible install the sensor vertically (cableupwards).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi guys, interesting discussion going on, but there seems to be just one "detail" that you omit.There are venturi effect thermal isolator between the manifold and the o2 sensors. I personally have absolutly no experience on the subject so I cannot comment, but it looks like the thermal problem is addresses with those. As I understand that using the venturi effect, the o2 sensors are not exposed to direct full heat and they still get constant flow of gases to "look" at...

Also it looks like it address the 3 points that Dzenno just mentionned (vertial mounting, max temp possible but within range...)

Comments from Shiv:

This offers thermal isolation for the factory o2 sensors which are now located in front of the turbo (instead of behind). Without these isolators, the o2 sensor will be seeing a exhaust gas temps that are up to 200-300F hotter than they would in their original placement. I believe this is where the previous single turbo kits failed.
    Pics from Facebook:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mounted pic:

Attachment 14944

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Yes, without this isolator the sensor base would easily exceed it's rating of 500C+. The bigger concern is the exhaust gas temperature and an isolator is not going to help with that. Unless one expects the exhaust gas to significantly cool traveling the extra 1" up to the sensor. Click here to enlarge I personally haven't tried those isolators so I can't say whether or not they allow for normal sensor operation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I really don't think the exhaust gas cools down travelling the extra 1" but the head is not exposed to the brutally hot flow as it gets only a fraction of it... Well... I think that's the point of using it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kalud Click here to enlarge
    I really don't think the exhaust gas cools down travelling the extra 1" but the head is not exposed to the brutally hot flow as it gets only a fraction of it... Well... I think that's the point of using it.
    It's like voltage vs. current. A component might be rated to only handle a certain amount of voltage. Even the smallest amount of current is enough to fry it if the voltage exceeds the rating.

Anyway, if what they are doing now is working well enough to push development forward then they can figure out the reliability end of it as they go. It's not like they are selling this to customers in this format right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It's not like they are selling this to customers in this format right?
    I agree and its only running for a bit over a week now... Sounds like there is plenty of work left to finish everything. Nonetheless, even if its your evil competitor, its still a giant step in the right direction for everyone... Click here to enlarge Even me with my out-of-steam n55 turbo. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kalud Click here to enlarge
    I agree and its only running for a bit over a week now... Sounds like there is plenty of work left to finish everything. Nonetheless, even if its your evil competitor, its still a giant step in the right direction for everyone... Click here to enlarge Even me with my out-of-steam n55 turbo. Click here to enlarge
    To be honest he isn't much of a competitor of ours these days. That pleasure goes to Cobb, and they seem like nice guys... Click here to enlarge

But seeing a lot of power made out of the N54 is exciting stuff. I wish we had the time to invest in big power R&D but it's just not practical given the tens of thousands of customers we're now supporting and other various higher volume projects. Maybe at some point in the future we'll add some more staff to free time up for fun projects like this. Click here to enlarge We've had customers run 11.0 on both nitrous and with RB turbos but so far the drivetrain has been the holdup to getting 10s. Hopefully they get the car out to the track soon to see what it really runs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Whats even more ironic is that if bring these discussions up on e90 you get infracted and banned. So $#@! him.
    Werd. Click here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12