Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Question Having fun with small things...

I'll be looking into getting nicer turbo to FMIC piping in the next while followed by intake piping.

I've put an order through for an ER 3" charge pipe that will mate to a matching 3" pipe coming down to the 3" outlet on the big tom fmic. N54 throttle body is 3.25" so the diameter of the piping will match better, look nicer than what it does now and given CFM of the RBs when calculated against the ID of the stock piping and the size of the throttle body there may even be something to be gained but i'm not betting on it.

In this thread I'd like to ask for your opinion on how you'd do the hot side pipe, your opinions. I'm not interested in comments on why do it and why not do it, waste of time, etc. I'm doing this for fun and because i really think it can be improved upon given the pancake design of where the two pipes join into one 2.5" pipe coming down to the fmic.

What do you think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

On the hot side, are you looking at replacing everything post-turbo? If it will fit, you can definitely have a much better solution fabricated.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Are you talking about the pipes coming off the compressors and then join up into that Y pipe then into the FMIC?

If so, the stock arrangement is actually pretty good. To improve on that I would say go with larger diameter compressor outlet pipes and a smoother merge into the FMIC. One thing to remember, the RBs do use stock housings, so just sticking on bigger pipes with a huge step change in them might not be a good idea because youll be expanding the air too rapidly which will probably offset any gains you had by going with larger pipes.

Use a transition pipe, like with a taper to go from the stock compressor outlets to a bigger diameter on both primaries, then with minimal bends and a shallow angle join them into the Y.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

yep, that one Y pipe coming off the turbos to the fmic...the way it joins at the Y is pretty bad, not sure if you guys ever looked at it...need to find some time to play around with it..

my idea was to just cut that pipe where they merge and make a smoother wider merge into a 3" that'll mate with the 3" FMIC inlet...cold side from fmic 3" outlet to the 3" throttle body will be 3" all the way through pretty soon

i've been trying to find some pipes that could act as joiners, but maybe in the end a complete new pipe might be easier..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3" pipes for the compressor outlets is going to be a little bit on the big side, you may lose response.

You should try 2.5" compressor outlets merge into a 3" into FMIC

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    3" pipes for the compressor outlets is going to be a little bit on the big side, you may lose response.

You should try 2.5" compressor outlets merge into a 3" into FMIC
    I'd definitely not run 3" pipes from the compressors as they're tiny...i'm trying to figure out what the best and easiest way is to do this..even 2.5" right off the compressor is too large given how big they are...i think they're 2.1"??

@Rob@RBTurbo, please get me some sizes off the turbo compressor outlets Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I think the factory routing will be fine. Just increase the size and maybe smooth out the merge like you said. I think they are currently about 1.5" coming off of the compressors (I am referring to the pipes, not the flanges). I would probably go 1.75" on the compressor outlet side, then merging into a 2.5-2.75" pipe will be fine. I believe anything above 2" on the compressor outlet side is going to be overkill, and I think the stock 2.5" into the intercooler is probably good as is, but going a little bigger won't hurt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

What's the best way to attach the pipe to the compressor outlet? Stick has a v-band clamp there and the compresdor outlet is not nice smooth where you could put a silicone coupler and a tbolt clamp...maybe that is the way but it'd be nice if there was an alternative...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Sounds like someone is bored! Mid-winter mod itch... LOL Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Lol that's exactly what this is Click here to enlarge can't wait for racing season to start man

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    What's the best way to attach the pipe to the compressor outlet? Stick has a v-band clamp there and the compresdor outlet is not nice smooth where you could put a silicone coupler and a tbolt clamp...maybe that is the way but it'd be nice if there was an alternative...
    I think using the stock V-band system will be your best bet. I would cut the stock pieces off of the Y-pipe and have them welded to the new, larger diameter pipe (if you are going aluminum). I'm not sure what the internal diameter of the stock flange is, but maybe you can "port" them out, to match the larger pipe if you are worried about it. I don't think reusing the stock flanges will be any more of a restriction than the tiny outlet of the compressor housing, though.

OR you could have a machine shop make you new V-band flanges to fit your new pipe, if you give them one of the stock flanges to sample.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Lol that's exactly what this is Click here to enlarge can't wait for racing season to start man
    I know, I know. I am in the same boat. I am spending money on wheels and tires. I am also prototyping my own intake. I am 90% done with fabrication. I still have not decided on the filters that I want to use. There will be another interesting thread I think...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

lol Dzenno when I saw your thread title the first thing I thought was about what your girl would say to you!! lol

Joking!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I know, I know. I am in the same boat. I am spending money on wheels and tires. I am also prototyping my own intake. I am 90% done with fabrication. I still have not decided on the filters that I want to use. There will be another interesting thread I think...
    during winter i feel like a dude with an NA car trying to make the car faster with stickers lol

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    lol Dzenno when I saw your thread title the first thing I thought was about what your girl would say to you!! lol

Joking!
    LOL mojo is doing just fine haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Its a long shot, but if you happen to have the CAD files of the front end with engine and spacial constraints, I can mock up pretty much anything you need.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

How would I have the CAD files? Click here to enlarge Wouldn't it be privy to BMW engineers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Turbo exit and FMIC piping diameter is 1".

That's the internal diameter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Ya, got the measurements from RB, 1.025" compressor outlet ID, 1.725" compressor inlet ID...HUGE! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

How would I have the CAD files? Click here to enlarge Wouldn't it be privy to BMW engineers
    Youd be surprised Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1" ID holy crap.... Yea might wanna look into getting bigger pipes.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    1" ID holy crap.... Yea might wanna look into getting bigger pipes.
    Click here to enlarge Considering RBs flow about 58lb/min (29lb/min each) what's the ideal diameter of each pipe before the merge? And, how close to the outlet would you widen it? Eventually the two pipes need to merge into a 2.5" pipe on the hot side going to the fmic inlet due to space constraints as far as I remember

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

At the vband connection on the compressor outlet the widest there is 2.1" (1.075" ID compressor outlet + filler and vband connection = 2.1") so to slide a silicone hose over it I'd probably need 2 or 2.25" ID silicone coupler on each tubo compressor outlet which would then merge into a single pipe towards the fmic inlet...anyone have any idea where to get a nice two-into-1 merge thats dual 2.25" in and single 2.5" out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't want to change the diameter of the pipe from turbo to intercooler. If you do that, then compressed gases will expand which means there will be a pressure drop.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

According to DBFIU's posts and what i've read that would not be correct. Pressure drop increases as pipe diameter decreases. It also increases as you add more bends.

To calculate you need to take the CFM from the turbos, look at the pipe ID and determine what speed the air will move at through the piping. The idea is to be below 0.4mach. To fast and you have too much pressure drop which in this particular case I see happening due to tiny pipes and due to the pancake merge.

The only drawback to going TOO wide in terms of fmic piping is that air will have to fill a larger volume potential impacting response time. However, in this case, we get response from the turbos before you can say "response time"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Need @DBFIU in here Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast