Close

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No

    EVO compares the R8 Spyder to the Boxster Spyder around the track - Boxster wins?

    The Audi R8 V8 was used for this comparison. That is fine, as the V8 is already much more expensive than the Boxster and offers much more power. However, this is one of those instances where Quattro hurts more than it helps. The Boxster is able to beat the more expensive and more powerful R8 by almost a full second with a laptime of 1:24.7 versus 1:25.5 for the R8. A bit embarrassing for the R8 wouldn't you say?

    The Boxster is lighter and better able to maximize its power with an efficient rear wheel drive setup. Quattro simply sucks too much power and adds too much weight. Even with a high revving 420 horsepower V8 the R8 can not use its over 100 horsepower power advantage on paper to overcome the weight and handling disadvantage. Quattro loses.

    EVO's embed code is junk, watch the video here: http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/trackday...er_spyder.html

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,618
    Rep Points
    -99.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Good video.
    This is really true and also it's a shame to see the politics involved in car makers. Audi wanted to offered the V10 for R8 in the first place. Lambo didn't like a Gallardo competitor though R8 is basically a Gallardo, but when Audi saw how R8 sells well, they said suck it and offered the V10. Rumors say the next gen will have the 5.2 in Gallardo LP-560.

    OT, sucks to see Chris Harris has left EVO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Good video.
    This is really true and also it's a shame to see the politics involved in car makers. Audi wanted to offered the V10 for R8 in the first place. Lambo didn't like a Gallardo competitor though R8 is basically a Gallardo, but when Audi saw how R8 sells well, they said suck it and offered the V10. Rumors say the next gen will have the 5.2 in Gallardo LP-560.

    OT, sucks to see Chris Harris has left EVO.
    The solution to the problem isn't throwing more power at the car. It should never lose with the V8 in the first place.

    Chris Harris sucks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,618
    Rep Points
    -99.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The solution to the problem isn't throwing more power at the car. It should never lose with the V8 in the first place.
    True. I don't know what's the deal with Audi's, but powerful Audi's can't outperform their rivals. But the V10 is another story.
    Speaking of Quattros, BMW has sold more X-Drive cars than Quattros. @Footie, did you know that? lol.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    Chris Harris sucks.
    Probably the best reviewer ever, after Tiff from 5th Gear of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Probably the best reviewer ever, after Tiff from 5th Gear of course.
    I could not disagree more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,618
    Rep Points
    -99.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Looks like those PCCBs (assuming) make a pretty big difference. 1.10+ g every time he stabbed the brakes on the Boxster vs. under 1 for the R8.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •