Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BMW x5 diesel mileage

For all of you with an x5 diesel. What kinda hwy mpg can you get on a long road trip? Oh yes and trying to get decent mpg. Not the I set the cruise at 90 trips.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I brother in law sold his X5d after 8 months. At the time he was paying about $90 per fill up and getting the same (if not worse) gas mileage than his buddy with a X5 35i. I drove it on a couple road trips and managed maybe 24mpg, that is using cruise control.

As far as the X5 goes and with diesel prices the way they are. You are better off getting the X5 35i.

I believe the engine is better suited for the 335d. It gets much better gas mileage than its counterpart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    At the time he was paying about $90 per fill up and getting the same (if not worse) gas mileage than his buddy with a X5 35i.
    How is that possible?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the Audi q7 tdi, if you are on a nice long stretch of interstate you can average between 28-30 if the terrain is not really hilly. I thought the x5d would be close.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How is that possible?
    Diesel was well over $4.00 at the time (as it is now) and the X5d has a 22.5 gallon tank. I think BMW states the highway mileage to be 26mpg for the diesel. He was never able to replicate, for some reason. The 35i highway is 23mpg, not far off. I think the 35i mileage is underrated too. The X5d is over 200lbs heavier as well.

Another pain in ass. Every once in awhile the stations diesel pumps wouldn't fit right in the filler neck. So you have to carry this adapter or you will not be able to fill up. Some what of a pain in the ass. Diesel pumps are dirtier than sh*t too.

The only reason he bought it was because of the eco credit. He got it for $500 over invoice plus the $4,000 eco credit. Drove it for 8 months and sold it for more than he bought it for.

It is so weird how much better the 335d does with that powerplant. The difference in the gas mileage of the 335i is much greater.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Another pain in ass. Every once in awhile the stations diesel pumps wouldn't fit right in the filler neck. So you have to carry this adapter or you will not be able to fill up. Some what of a pain in the ass. Diesel pumps are dirtier than sh*t too.
    That does sound like a pretty big pain in the ass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I get 21MPG combined and I drive it hard. If I cruise on the highway, with no hills, I get about 28-30mpg. I keep a box of latex gloves in the trunk because the pumps are filthy and, if you get diesel on your hand, good luck getting it off. Seriously, you can wash your hands 10 times and it will still stink.

If you drive the 35i hard, you will get horrible gas mileage also, so...I mean that is really any car. I can get 21mpg in my M3 on the highway if I want...or I can get 5 ; )

I love the truck though despite the nasty diesel pumps.