Close

Thread: 325xi turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

325xi turbo?

a buddy and i want to take an s54 i just aquired and do a sleeper project. he's toying with the idea of an xi turbo setup... a awd turbo e46 does sounds like fun
    something like this.
    Click here to enlarge

i tried telling him that do to the awd... plumbing clearance will be near impossible for the front axle ground clearance and that the transfer case would need to be beefed up. and that the front diff would be going out constantly.
    im guessing that this is why i havn't seen any turbo e46 xi's just a weak aa sc kit Click here to enlarge
    which i don't think a sc is a good option for cold snowy condition which is exactly where we'd like to use a awd e46.

are there transfer case mods for the xi?
    are there front diff upgrades?
    has a turbo setup been done before on an xi?

i already know this is a pipedream and iam trying to talk him into abandoning it for a e36/e30 instead but i told him id ask on the forum about why its not a good idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773653

ghetto build but some good ideas. looks like the front transfer is a bigger pain in the ass for more reasons than one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I have dreams of an awd turbo e46 bmw as well.. but I have to imagine it would be a nightmare of an engineering feat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

look at the e46f thread. i could do so much better using hpf parts (intake, ex mani, etc). i just odn't know if the front diff will hold up to hans' heavy foot at stop lights.

maybe if i make him buy a handful in advance! lol

the whole point of awd is to smoke m3s off the line!

i actually hate awd to be honest, but it sounds like he's serious about buying this $#@!ing wagon and im not about to puss out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Wouldn't it make more sense to just build up the M54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    i just odn't know if the front diff will hold up to hans' heavy foot at stop lights.
    It will. Assuming backlash is acceptable and the fluid is fresh.

the whole point of awd is to smoke m3s off the line!
    Different strokes for different folks. AWD has many purposes. For some, it is launch grip. For me, its perfect for the wife and kids especially with inclement weather. I'd love to give up the wife's B6 A4 1.8t for an E46 330xi (boost would be nice), but the old turd is bomb-proof and power is so easy for the platform.

i actually hate awd to be honest, but it sounds like he's serious about buying this $#@!ing wagon and im not about to puss out
    AWD coupled (especially the mechanical Torsen diffs in Audi) with snow tires is a heavenly experience in compacted ice/snow conditions.

You puss out after kids, and all the crap you haul with them, and then the wagon doesn't look so bad (I feel old saying it...). Especially when you've got a mini hair-dryer under the hood force-feeding it. That balances the wagon effect Click here to enlarge

Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

crazy idea, but i'm always in for them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sounds like you should pick up a B5 S4 and Stage III it.
    Click here to enlarge
    Bimmers + Chipotle + Beautiful Women = Life is Good

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by silvergray545 Click here to enlarge
    No, doing something different is great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hell no. I know that road...and well. I like AWD for the wife, but I value reliability (hence the 1.8t). By default, the B5 S4 is out. B5 S4's are not reliable in stock trim. Modify it and its even worse.

I would be flat-bedding the car once a month. You look at the b5 S4 funny and it throws a CEL and goes into limp mode.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Hell no. I know that road...and well. I like AWD for the wife, but I value reliability (hence the 1.8t). By default, the B5 S4 is out. B5 S4's are not reliable in stock trim. Modify it and its even worse.

I would be flat-bedding the car once a month. You look at the b5 S4 funny and it throws a CEL and goes into limp mode.
    Hahah I know. I'm not much of an Audi guy but I've always loved the B5 S4. I'd love to get one as a project car.
    Click here to enlarge
    Bimmers + Chipotle + Beautiful Women = Life is Good

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    You look at the b5 S4 funny and it throws a CEL and goes into limp mode.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Hahah I know. I'm not much of an Audi guy but I've always loved the B5 S4. I'd love to get one as a project car.
    Love it too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like someone has experience with the chassis! Watch out when the beast runs right.... but oh lord is it a pissy motor.