Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Are silencers illegal?

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    178
    Rep Points
    541.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Illegal to own, or have in your possession, unless you are a Class 3 dealer or the item is registered to you. The license/tax was about $200 (per item) a while back, likely more now.

    ETA: All transfers of class 3 items must be documented through a class 3 dealer. They basically know everyone who own one, and where they are stored, at all times.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    Illegal to own, or have in your possession, unless you are a Class 3 dealer or the item is registered to you. The license/tax was about $200 a while back, likely more now.
    Lame.

    So I can't pretend to be James Bond Click here to enlarge

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Points
    2,787.2
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are silencers illegal?
    Not this one Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Not this one Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    I guess at least afterwards I could make a baked potato. Not very James Bond'ish though.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Lame.

    So I can't pretend to be James Bond Click here to enlarge
    Sure you can. You just have to jump through all of the requisite hoops, follow the rules, and pay the tax - if you really want one. Posing as Bond to look cool probably isn't a good enough reason to go through the hassle, however.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    I am thinking about getting a suppressor for my glock. I can obtain one fairly easily as a live very close to redstick fire arms "sons of guns." I heard it takes about 6 months before you can actually get one, due to the background check and registration.
    Click here to enlarge


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    135
    Rep Points
    382.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    I am thinking about getting a suppressor for my glock. I can obtain one fairly easily as a live very close to redstick fire arms "sons of guns." I heard it takes about 6 months before you can actually get one, due to the background check and registration.
    It varies from state to state - my brother's took about a month (fully automatic weapon and suppressor) and mine took 4 months (suppressor but the state police lost my paper work and I had to get it redone which added to the time). . . the way I look at it - most people who go through the hassel and documentation (federal background checks, fingerprinting, have local and state law enforcement sign off) are not going to be the ones you need to check where they have their weapons; besides, price a fully automatic anything. . .people don't just leave those lying around. . .

    http://www.impactguns.com/hk-mp5-exc...3-308-mp5.aspx
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ


    Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    I thought full automatics were illegal?

    Why is that gun $20k?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I thought full automatics were illegal?

    Why is that gun $20k?
    You can buy pre-ban automatic weapons (1986), if you pay the transfer fee and get the paperwork. They are costly though, depending on how rare.

    Same for a suppressor. The ARIES system I'm interested in is really awesome.

    I pay the $200 fee when I purchase the item, send the paperwork out for approval with the ID of the item, get it back, take it to the Sheriff, get my thumbprints taken and have him sign it. Then I'm in the clear in Texas.


    Same for Short Barreled Rifles or legal Automatic weapons. This is for civilians. Military and Law Enforcement get more options.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    You can buy pre-ban automatic weapons (1986), if you pay the transfer fee and get the paperwork. They are costly though, depending on how rare.

    Same for a suppressor. The ARIES system I'm interested in is really awesome.

    I pay the $200 fee when I purchase the item, send the paperwork out for approval with the ID of the item, get it back, take it to the Sheriff, get my thumbprints taken and have him sign it. Then I'm in the clear in Texas.


    Same for Short Barreled Rifles or legal Automatic weapons. This is for civilians. Military and Law Enforcement get more options.
    This is cool, glad I have options if I ever want an automatic for protection.

    Just seems illogical for citizens to be hampered with weapon options when criminals aren't and obviously don't care about playing by the rules. So, why should we be hampered on our potential firepower choices?

    I didn't see anything in the Second Amendment that says you can only buy weapons the government says you can. Actually, it says this right shall not be infringed. Complete bull$#@! if you ask me.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I thought full automatics were illegal?

    Why is that gun $20k?
    Jeez Sticky, did you even bother to skim the NFA link I posted as a direct reply to you?

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is cool, glad I have options if I ever want an automatic for protection.

    Just seems illogical for citizens to be hampered with weapon options when criminals aren't and obviously don't care about playing by the rules. So, why should we be hampered on our potential firepower choices?

    I didn't see anything in the Second Amendment that says you can only buy weapons the government says you can. Actually, it says this right shall not be infringed. Complete bull$#@! if you ask me.
    Two things: if you want a fully automatic weapon for fun, entertainment, sport shooting, or even "just because" - fine. But to have a full auto for "protection" is ludicrously overkill and probably detrimental without a ton of training and range time. Frankly, an 870 with 00 is about as good as it gets for protection, and it's a relatively small investment.

    Two, I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights, but you have to keep it in perspective. The founding fathers' era firearm was a single shot, relatively inaccurate, and took a min or two to reload. They also relied on citizens as militia forces. Modern military-grade weaponry would be completely alien to them. Would they have afforded us all the same freedoms? No way to know.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Jeez Sticky, did you even bother to skim the NFA link I posted as a direct reply to you?
    Nope, did not.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,121.4
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    But to have a full auto for "protection" is ludicrously overkill and probably detrimental without a ton of training and range time.
    Say that when thugs armed with automatics show up to rob your home:



    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Two, I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights, but you have to keep it in perspective. The founding fathers' era firearm was a single shot, relatively inaccurate, and took a min or two to reload.
    No you don't. Their philosophy is what the second amendment is about and it is a correct philosophy. You don't change it just because guns evolve. It's all or nothing exactly as intended and worded.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,350
    Rep Points
    2,779.7
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    What sticky said. It's the left wing nuts that want to impede our right to own. Even Obama is against it. He knows he cant ban it because it's a violation of the 2nd amendment, but he can tax the $#@! out of it and make it impossible for us to own one. When he became president and announced he wanted to tighten gun laws, sales here on the island went thru the $#@!in roof. Everyone stockpiled ammo and bought as many guns as they could.

    Sppressors are illegal in NY. Dono why but they are. Even LEO or military can get them. But then police chief of manhattan/Nassau/Suffolk has to personally sign off on it...and their days are so busy you think they will have time to deal with your little nonsense paperwork?

    i hear NJ is a little more lienient in owning guns, to get a pistol is a lot easier than NY, but still costs a lot.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    925
    Rep Points
    930.8
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Two things: if you want a fully automatic weapon for fun, entertainment, sport shooting, or even "just because" - fine. But to have a full auto for "protection" is ludicrously overkill and probably detrimental without a ton of training and range time. Frankly, an 870 with 00 is about as good as it gets for protection, and it's a relatively small investment.

    Two, I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights, but you have to keep it in perspective. The founding fathers' era firearm was a single shot, relatively inaccurate, and took a min or two to reload. They also relied on citizens as militia forces. Modern military-grade weaponry would be completely alien to them. Would they have afforded us all the same freedoms? No way to know.
    I don't know, I've know quite a few machine gunners. "Peace through superior firepower" and "Accuracy by volume" seem to work well for them.


    I'm mostly joking of course...or am IClick here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Say that when thugs armed with automatics show up to rob your home:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0



    No you don't. Their philosophy is what the second amendment is about and it is a correct philosophy. You don't change it just because guns evolve. It's all or nothing exactly as intended and worded.
    Interestingly, that vid shows a homeowner fending off 4 armed assailants with a semi-auto weapon. Unless it was a full-auto that he left in semi-auto mode.

    And, the founding fathers' philosophy was that the world evolves, and the goverment's laws need to as well. That's why they allowed for a legislative branch to enact changes, and a judicial branch to offer legal opinions on the suitability and interpretation of the laws.

    The monitored/regulated ownership of machine guns, silencers, etc. isn't new - the National Firearms Act was enacted in 1934.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Yes Reputation No
    I've shot a MAC-10 in .45 full auto once out in the country. It would DEFINITELY clear a room up close, or scare the $#@! out of someone. I mean, we shot so many rounds through this thing it actually chopped this BIG tree down! But do NOT expect to be accurate. If you are in a house you may kill someone you don't intend to.

    For a little bit longer range, more practical/accurate easier to own civilian firearm, I think the PS-90 is a good choice. I mean, I get 50 rounds per clip, the ballistics of a .223 rifle almost and the size/weight/tossability of a paintball gun. With the tri-rail, I can have my holographic sight, a flashlight for identification/blinding and a laser if desired for easy/fast target acquisition. With the suppressor, I can shoot without hearing protection and still maintain situational awareness.

    If I knew someone was going to be pulling up to my house in vehicles with intent to kill, that's when I'd pull out some sort of AR platform chambered with any of the variety of .30 rounds and up plus a bit of magnification, maybe up to 4x. (300 Blackout looks interesting)

    I could have a full velocity ammo, if they decide to hide behind stuff, and subsonic or close to subsonic ammo, for when I'm trying to pick them off from my spot with the least amount of risk of being detected.

    General all around fun/defense, I think the PS-90 will do great!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Say that when thugs armed with automatics show up to rob your home:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0



    No you don't. Their philosophy is what the second amendment is about and it is a correct philosophy. You don't change it just because guns evolve. It's all or nothing exactly as intended and worded.
    Forgot to ask: when you say "thugs with automatics" and then presumably mean for that video to support your position - what do you mean, specifically?

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    178
    Rep Points
    541.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    A few years ago, H&K brought their traveling road show to my area to display their “wares” to the local SWAT community. They set-up a very cool “kill house” that allowed 360 degrees of fire and featured reactive humanoid targets and furniture.


    The H&K guys were there and gun guys are just like car guys, they love what they do and who they work for varies from year to year so the brand loyalty is only on the surface. Since the big dog and pony show was the following day, they were just hanging out and not in “sale mode”. They allowed us to incorporate their “kill house” into our match, and hung around watching. After the match, they brought out their toys and allowed people to run through the course with different platforms to see what was the fastest and most efficient. To their surprise (not ours) an open class competition pistol was able to run through the house and neutralize all the hostile targets (while avoiding the hostages) consistently faster than an SMG or carbine and it was not even close. They tried suppressed, full auto, 3 round burst, and semi-auto but the results were always the same. That said, it was a load of fun to run through the course with a suppressed SMG and spray the rooms. Not a good place to be a hostage, but it was still fun. The first thing that you realize with a SMG is that a full magazine disappears pretty quickly on full auto. Unlike on TV, a full magazine lasts about 3 seconds worth of full auto fire. You spend FAR more time filling magazines than it takes to empty them and you have to carry a lot of ammo to feed a machine gun for any length of time.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    My view on the ideal home defense weapon is something a little bigger than a handgun but smaller than a shotgun.

    I prefer something that is 30 caliber or larger and has about the power of a 223 minimum. A handgun is very very iffy when it comes to home defense, handguns are terribly innaccurate when you are in a situation like home defense and you havent shot the gun in years. You need something you can shoulder and point with clear accuracy. A rifle with a short barrel or the P90 bullpup design is nice.

    But beyond all that, the most important thing I like to consider is ammo availability. When the zombie apoc starts, all of the 'new' ammo types will be gone. But you can find 308, 223 and 9mm all over. Strange new calibers I tend to stay away from until they have been on the market for many years and I can literally buy it any walmart.

    I think for home defense a 30-30 lever action is about the perfect size and quickness. The lever action makes it faster than a bolt action, the round is powerful enough to go through almost any residential structure, like a car window or door etc... And the ammo is all over (although it has been getting more rare lately).
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Yes Reputation No
    That's why I'm gonna buy 5.7X28mm in bulk! Click here to enlarge

    And just so it's clear, the PS-90 is semi-auto only. I could even buy the pistol as well that shares the same ammo. High velocity, high ammo capacity, great accuracy and low recoil, just like the PS-90 carbine.

    Not to mention the PS-90 is shorter than a lot of Short Barreled Rifles without having to go through all the fees and paperwork.

    I can convert the PS-90 to a Short Barreled Rifled and it would literally be smaller total length than a paintball gun. I've held it, it shoulders awesome, it grips awesome, it's light and it's easy to strip.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    A few years ago, H&K brought their traveling road show to my area to display their “wares” to the local SWAT community. They set-up a very cool “kill house” that allowed 360 degrees of fire and featured reactive humanoid targets and furniture.


    The H&K guys were there and gun guys are just like car guys, they love what they do and who they work for varies from year to year so the brand loyalty is only on the surface. Since the big dog and pony show was the following day, they were just hanging out and not in “sale mode”. They allowed us to incorporate their “kill house” into our match, and hung around watching. After the match, they brought out their toys and allowed people to run through the course with different platforms to see what was the fastest and most efficient. To their surprise (not ours) an open class competition pistol was able to run through the house and neutralize all the hostile targets (while avoiding the hostages) consistently faster than an SMG or carbine and it was not even close. They tried suppressed, full auto, 3 round burst, and semi-auto but the results were always the same. That said, it was a load of fun to run through the course with a suppressed SMG and spray the rooms. Not a good place to be a hostage, but it was still fun. The first thing that you realize with a SMG is that a full magazine disappears pretty quickly on full auto. Unlike on TV, a full magazine lasts about 3 seconds worth of full auto fire. You spend FAR more time filling magazines than it takes to empty them and you have to carry a lot of ammo to feed a machine gun for any length of time.
    Do you remember the build of that open class competition pistol?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    178
    Rep Points
    541.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

    This is a common 38 Super Open gun with optical sight, hybrid barrel porting and compensator. The mags hold about 30 rounds (rules limited) and it shoots like a very loud 22 cal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •