Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Favorite Firearm

I have recently been looking at getting a PS-90 "tri-rail" and mounting a EOtech XP2/MPO III magnifier combo, and an ARIES suppressor system. Their manufacturing plant is right near me and apparently the sound reduction is amazing. It would be a custom job costing more than the actual weapon, about $2,000, but you just have to see it to know what I'm saying.

Since it's a bullpup it's not classified as a "short barreled rifle" using the stock 16" mil-spec barrel and still being compact.

I've held one, it's like a paintball gun. 50-rounds of 5.7X28, a high-velocity round, low recoil and good accuracy would make it great home defense or just having fun at the range. I can get it local, $29 for 50 rounds, not too bad.

This is not meant to be a target or long range hunting rifle. I understand the bullpup trigger-pull is a bit less crisp than an AR15 platform for example.

Rifle build will come later.

Plus I'll be able to shoot the PS-90 without ear protection and not lose a portion of my hearing every time.

Any thoughts? What is your favorite firearm?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Ruger SR-9, even when it had the potential to fire when dropped. I really don't have a favorite rifle, that's because there are so many out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No favorite, just starting to get into firearms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I cannot really speak to other uses but the PS-90 has no significant presence in the competition world. I would guess that it is primarily due to the caliber not being powerful enough to make the minimum requirement, and the design eliminates the use of extended magazines. Without a presence in competition, the aftermarket triggers and parts seldom make it to the market in any quantity or reasonable price point.

Depending on how far you intend to shoot, you could simply go with the EOtech and skip the magnifier, or move over to one of the newer low power illuminated variables. Depending on your price range, the technology exists to have some significant magnification while maintaining a true 1x magnification for the "up-close and personal" action. They can also be had with reticles that allow you to engage targets at extended distances. Mine has Zero's out to 600 yards.

Suppressors are very cool, but they are a "Class 3" item that requires licensing and the tax stamp. It also opens the door to BATF having almost unlimited access to your collection, although that is more "black helicopter" stuff than something that actually happens on a regular basis.

My favorites are the Knight's SR-25 and the JP-CTR02. I have both of them and they are pretty much works of art in addition to amazing performers. I know that the piston AR's are now the rage, but their main benefit is the ability to run with less maintenance, not really performance. Initially they had an odd recoil impulse from the piston, I hear that some of the latest models have reduced or eliminated that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    It also opens the door to BATF having almost unlimited access to your collection, although that is more "black helicopter" stuff than something that actually happens on a regular basis.
    I don't understand this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you went a little over stickys head with the gun talk.Maybe re post with a little better explaination and less jargon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Right now my favorite handgun would have to be Ruger's Sr-1911 because of its bang for the buck appeal. It is also a hell of a shooter for a 1911 in the under 2,000 dollar price area. I also have a kimber 1911 and although it is a superior, I dont believe it is a better value (800 more than the ruger)

I also really like my DPMS ar-15, Walther ppq and miss my old Springfield XD-40.

Anybody seen pictures or tech for the aac honeybadger ? I really think it looks pretty wicked and the 300 blk is something that I want to do some more research on,definitely seems like a sweet cartridge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The BATF has a "Class 3" designation for fully automatic weapons (machine guns) and suppressors. To own them you have to pay a fee to the BATF and attest that the items will be stored in a designated location (with safe/alarm). By virtue of issuance of the license to own the class 3 weapon, they are allowed to inspect the location where the licensed items are stored "at any reasonable time" which can be translated into anytime they please 24/7. You basically waive your rights to privacy in return for the ability to own the restricted items.

I am told that there are ways to somewhat circumvent some of the red tape by making a trust or corporation the "owner" of the item, but that is beyond my knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FN 57 (great gun)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pistols are my favorite! I exclusively shoot Infinity guns, (http://sviguns.com) they are the best competition guns made.

Not the cheapest, or quickest to get, but their machine work and technology is the best.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

PS-90 is a great gun (own the sibling pistol) - just an FYI, that 30 dollars / 50 rounds GOES fast (as you say no recoil, and just plain fun to shoot). It's an expensive round to shoot considering there is no viable reloading alternative to factory ammo...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can do a 5.7x28mm upper on an AR, get the crisp trigger (not sure what you meant here - but you can get a different trigger group even on the PS-90) - and the versatility of the AR platform... Not sure if you knew about this option - check it out (Cabella's price is way steep - you can probably get this receiver for 500ish if you keep your eye open)

http://www.cabelas.com/15-ar57-5-7x2...:referralID=NA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would assume that most people that buy the PS-90 do it despite the caliber, not for the caliber. In many circles the .223 is considered a "mouse gun" with almost no recoil and a large volume of high pressure gas, when compared to the projectile weight, to operate a comp and eliminate any remaining recoil or muzzle rise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

I like this hand canon.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    I like this hand canon.
    Click here to enlarge
    winning
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Taurus 410 shot handgun...

It's just an up close murder weapon, good for nothing else...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol - if i recall - the name of that gun is "the judge" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whoever was the guy that thought about taking shotgun shells and making a revolver out of them should be given the nobel peace prize.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah - for a handgun, I think it's good; Bullpup or rifle (unless for strictly tactical purposes) I would go with something larger. The Grendel is something that is on my list - that round has some excellent characteristics at a distance - even without a match grade barrel.

They made the round specifically for defeating armor - and then don't let civilians get the real deal (ammo). It's a .223 with less power - I wouldn't want to get hit with one. It's the speed vs. weight debate; until someone is willing to get shot (to prove something) over this, no one will ever win the debate. All I know is a .223 is an effective caliber (used in military for a long time) - although there are much worse things to get hit with - it works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One of my current favorite guns.

They call it the 'cop killer' because it shoots high velocity rounds. I think the US is trying to get these guns banned and if they cant they are trying to make selling the ammo illegal. So basically youll be stuck with buying the subsonic $#@! that is weak. The real ammo is 2000+ fps rounds that come out of your pistol...

Click here to enlarge

The FN Five-Seven.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yep, that's the gun... It's a great firearm, and is very versatile. A little on the expensive side, and scratches a bit easy - but is my favorite weapon I own. It's extremely accurate, holds a good amount (20+1) - and has little to no recoil (comparable to a 22 magnum?)... It's lightweight, and ... I have nothing but good things to say about this thing. You can see why it's expensive, and used ones hold their value - they are good. This is the ONLY gun I have had that has NEVER jammed - although, it's sort of understandable as the manufacturer of the gun is the manufacturer of the ammo.

The ammo thing is a bit off - but no one has a good grasp on the legality of it. It's the steel core ss190 that the gun was originally designed for that is illegal to purchase (even this isn't clear - as you can buy this legally online for 200 dollars a box). The ss197/195 are the ones that we as civilians can legally buy. It is polymer tipped (197) or hollow (195) to promote frangibility - the ss190 with a steel core is not meant to do the same, so it has armor piercing capabilities. As you said, however - the round moves so fast - that there is a group of people that claims the 195/197 will STILL pierce light armor just because of it's speed. This has not been proved by science - so we are still able to get the high velocity ammo. They sell subsonic, but you are right - it's literally crap. It's good if you have a silencer - but you are basically at .22 LR capability at this point.

Hope that helps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Yep, that's the gun... It's a great firearm, and is very versatile. A little on the expensive side, and scratches a bit easy - but is my favorite weapon I own. It's extremely accurate, holds a good amount (20+1) - and has little to no recoil (comparable to a 22 magnum?)... It's lightweight, and ... I have nothing but good things to say about this thing. You can see why it's expensive, and used ones hold their value - they are good. This is the ONLY gun I have had that has NEVER jammed - although, it's sort of understandable as the manufacturer of the gun is the manufacturer of the ammo.

The ammo thing is a bit off - but no one has a good grasp on the legality of it. It's the steel core ss190 that the gun was originally designed for that is illegal to purchase (even this isn't clear - as you can buy this legally online for 200 dollars a box). The ss197/195 are the ones that we as civilians can legally buy. It is polymer tipped (197) or hollow (195) to promote frangibility - the ss190 with a steel core is not meant to do the same, so it has armor piercing capabilities. As you said, however - the round moves so fast - that there is a group of people that claims the 195/197 will STILL pierce light armor just because of it's speed. This has not been proved by science - so we are still able to get the high velocity ammo. They sell subsonic, but you are right - it's literally crap. It's good if you have a silencer - but you are basically at .22 LR capability at this point.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure what the legal issues were, I knew it had raised a few eyebrows when it came out.

I think for home defense I would NOT use this gun, it can go through walls, bodies, plywood like nothing. It's basically a rifle round in a handgun.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are 100% right. That's definitely an issue with high velocity/small rounds. That's where the Taurus Judge comes in with the .410 shotgun shells. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge

Hope that helps.
    Great (and interesting) post. Regarding the SS190, it does seem strange - because someone can buy as much 5.56 NATO XM855 as they want for (relatively) dirt cheap, and shoot it out of any mil-spec AR-15 they wish, which are plentiful.

Thought I'd heard/read that some of the .22 Mag or .17 HMR revolvers also are worrisome for their abilities to pierce Kevlar, as small diameter, high-velocity (for a handgun) rounds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Great (and interesting) post. Regarding the SS190, it does seem strange - because someone can buy as much 5.56 NATO XM855 as they want for (relatively) dirt cheap, and shoot it out of any mil-spec AR-15 they wish, which are plentiful.

Thought I'd heard/read that some of the .22 Mag or .17 HMR revolvers also are worrisome for their abilities to pierce Kevlar, as small diameter, high-velocity (for a handgun) rounds.
    Thanks, that's appreciated.

I think the reason people were up in arms (no pun intended) about this round/gun is because it was available in a concealable format (i.e. pistol)... Green tip .223 is nasty stuff - and would do much better (armor piercing) than an ss190 would (I would imagine). I have always wondered why reloaders haven't pulled the round out of the 855 and tried to fire it out of the five-seven. I am guessing the weight of the bullet is too high, but this is beyond my realm of knowledge.

You are correct - any fast moving small projectile has a better chance of making through a kevlar weave. I really think it's all because of they way the five-seven was marketed as an "armor piercing" gun. This raised eyebrows; even though we can't get the "good stuff" (remember the movie lethal weapon 2?) - they made story about it that wasn't warranted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast