Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346@507

Hello all.. ALPINA fans,, not ALPINA fans ,, M30 enthusiastics,, Turbo fans .. etc etc Recently i took my engine out of my B10 BT ,, my favorite car of all time ALPINA B10 BITURBO The reason ,, was,, after i took of the valve-cover to have an inpection, i discovered that the camshaft was really worn,, worst on cyl 1, the reason == one of the banjobolts ((2 of them)) got loose ,,so the oilpressure was not optimal,, and the cam got screwed up,, well i decided to also change ALL bearings in the bottom of the engine ,, so lets start the thread All parts were cleaned as well as i could,, underneath and inside Engine and gearbox came out..... Click here to enlarge It came as a result that the crankshaft was worn 5/100 of a mm ,,ALL MAIN BEARINGS,, from 1-7 and also conrod bearing 1-6 so a turn of a 0.25 mm was the conclusion,, that was taken ,, the backlash of the crank was over 1.0mm and that is not uncommon on a car with heavy clutch.. an Automatic M30 can drive to the moon without a backlash-problem all seals,, gaskets,,bought new from GOETZE ..http://www.federalmogul.com/en/After...erHeadGaskets/ bearings ,, was from CLYCO and i decided to buy from ........ http://vacmotorsports.com/ ............ the cylinder head was shaved 0.10mm MLS 0.70" /1.778mm headgasket and ARP studs,, IMO the best available on the market,, and a good value for money,, pistons were like new and cylinder walls also, pistons are oem ALPINA/Mahle.. As you can see 3.5L ,,,,,,,,,,,7.2 cr ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and B10 Click here to enlarge Here is an intake port from an oem 3.5L M30.. the gasket is from my engine ...... some difference as you can see Click here to enlarge ---------------- ALPINA engine mounts on the exhaust side,,, NOT oem M30 BMW Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge -------------------------- M70 starter (( a lot more powerful vs oem M30 and makes the most gorgeous starting sound ever made)) Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge ALPINA B10 BITURBO engine code........... B7/5 and the nr of the car ((0346)) This is not cool ... this is GLACIER cool,, i am a big fan of number matching things Click here to enlarge The sump... Click here to enlarge the conrods,,,,,,,,,, is this an oem M30 conrod mark ?? B5,,,,,,,,,,,, i the ALPINA ETK,, the PLEUL(conrods) are not even mentioned ?? Click here to enlarge Ok,, fastening down the Cylinder head,,, MLS studs on .,, Click here to enlarge -------- OIL pump .. and timing OK,, Click here to enlarge ---------- On the B7/5 engine ,, the rocker-arms are strength tested,, and radio-achtivated,, then numbered ,, the result is like this.. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge --------- The intake port....... Click here to enlarge ------------- OIL drain,, and coolant drain ((2)) on exhaust side Click here to enlarge ---- Exhaust port,, I think oem ,, because on the other M30B35 the port was very similair Click here to enlarge --------------- TURBO,,, both turbos were disambled,, cleaned up.. the rear manifold had 2 cracks,, ((not uncommon on a B10 BT)),, my friend who have a VERY big experience with turbos ,, was stunned how the condition was ,, the front turbo had a small backlash,, but bearings and seal was OK,,,,, Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge ((wtf,,,,,,,,, a welding line... yes )) Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge ----------- Here you can see the main reason for special refabrication on engine mounts on the exhaust side Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge -------------- ALL KINDS of shields,,, and a stunning engineering IMO,, and thought all way through Just for you,,, and NOT USEFUL information,, ALPINA and M/// Gmbh share almost nothing in common,, back in the days when M/// motorsports were producing M49 in the E9.. one of the greatest 6 cyl racing engine ever created,, ALPINA went in to a different way,, they started to BLOW some big sixes,, and the result was a lot more than impressive.. the E28 B7 is IMO the best turbocharged ALPINA car they made ... not the greatest,, but proberbly the best,, why is that,, because,, this car do not suffer for such a violent heat problems that can cause the B10 BT.. when the B7 was made ,, the B10 BT was not made and the 24v technology was not ,,then, gone into production by BMW ,, so the B10 BT is the last dinosaur,, ALPINA made.. a ,,very very spectacular car made from the old M30 design with the best technology that day,, but sadly .. so much money spent on an old engine,, a 12v that was in the heyday,, if ALPINA had licence to use the M88/S38 or even the new m50 24v as a start.. the result could easily been 450 ps (( remember that S38 is just a developed M30 with a 100+ ps top)) More to come,,,,,,,
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here we have the G420 6speed ((from a M60 engine,, with 265 mm clutch)) and the G290 ALPINA B10 BT gearbox

Click here to enlarge

The flange is 90 mm between bolts .. on the G420 and is the second large Guibo from BMW/Getrag ,, the G290 and the G560 ((M70 manual)) have 95 mm between bolts

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

When using ARP studs on a M30 ,, you must drill a 20+mm hole in this aluplate for the nuts,, and also on the first bolt line
    you must grind some few mm on the valvecover,,

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Here is the Intercooler ,, 66 cm x 31 cm x 5.5 cm

Click here to enlarge

and pipes

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The flywheel.............. ELEPHANT size

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And the gearbox on,,,

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Say ,,, AAAAAAAAA

Click here to enlarge

Exhaust..

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Dude, you are awesome!

Talk about a true enthusiast! I think it's really cool that you spec and install everything yourself.

Thanks for sharing and keep this up! I really know nothing about Alpina and their history.

You are teaching people. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

very impressive,

can you tell us newbs a little about the car?

what year is it, what engine displacement? What was the engine based off of? twin turbo stock and how much boost did they ccome with?

I know nothing about this alpina.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    very impressive,

can you tell us newbs a little about the car?

what year is it, what engine displacement? What was the engine based off of? twin turbo stock and how much boost did they ccome with?

I know nothing about this alpina.
    OP = ALPINA is probably the BIGGEST Alpina cars fan in the world,, he knos everything there is to know about this car, and many other Apina models. So prepare for a detailed reply.

Great job my friend! good to see the car comming togeather again!
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    OP = ALPINA is probably the BIGGEST Alpina cars fan in the world,, he knos everything there is to know about this car, and many other Apina models. So prepare for a detailed reply.

Great job my friend! good to see the car comming togeather again!
    Thank you ,, Well .... as Sveinn have mentioned,, i think i am one of the greatest ALPINA fan ever,, today i am not so much in the new league ,, of BMW ,,ALPINA ,, Mercedes ... etc etc ..

i like the 80-> late 90 ,, but today almost every carmaker is making ,, close,, to dull car ,,IMO........ i know the performance and handling ,, even the consuption is a far better on a 50% more powerful engine,,EVEN with less displacement.. but the automotive industry is under a crushing heel,, so thats it

But as Sveinn have mentioned ,, I am a big ALPINA fan ,, and i came in to this car in late 91,, READING ,, about this phenomenal 4d saloon car that demolished almost everything on 4 wheel on higher speed.. i was so stunned,, that a 4d car could beat the fastest supercar,, or almost,, and bring 4-5 people,, luggage and everybody was calm down with air-conditoning,, running and the backseat passenger waving goodbye when the B10 BT was overtaking at almost 200mph the LAMBO,, and FERRARI

BEAT that......... even today

since that ,, the ALPINA B10 BITURBO have been my favorite car of all time,, not the fastest ,, not the quickest.. not the most handsome.. not the best handling.
    but a great combination of all this,, and the best of all .................................................. individual handmade ,, and collected by lunatics/ carenthusiastics that are facinated about what could be done back in the days

the car is oem boosted 0.4-0.8 bar variable..........Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge 12v ...3.5L twin turbo Garret T25 (( the turbos were ,,very very very special made for ALPINA,, and are totally overestimated in value and performance IMO))water cooled and oilfeeded

everything on this car is beefed up and i mean litterally........... unbeliveble things that are not spoken so often about that i found out,, ((i like it ALOT ))
    They went totally to the strongest option available when the car was made.. i am almost sure that most BMW do not share the same strenght in drivetrain today as E31/ E34 / E32 and few others did back in the days .......... 507 was made ,, and maby 3xx are on the road today ,,((no clue)) but this car is the only one that is FERARI YELLOW ( this car came not with this color.. oem from ALPINA ,, but 2 B12 5.7 coupe did)) the cars oem color is GRANIT-SILBER

last summer i had the car dynoed,, by GPS,, and several cars ,, that was totally OEM ,,,,,,showed almost identical oem figure. i belive this measure is somehow what to be belived..........

average WHP was 385... and average WTQ was 554nm /407lbs-ft and the car is running @ 1 bar boost with oem 380cc injectors.. mapped by Mr.X

OT.......

ps,, my car is a fast torque flyer,,(( not an E60 M5 beater ,,but anyway))

M3GTtt ((Sveinn)) M3 twinturbo is an unbeliveble quick fighter in all ways,, I had some laps in the car both at the Nürburgring,, in 2008 and 2009((not that fast and not TURBO))

,,, but when we drove at Spa in 2009 he showed ,, even some serios E46 M3 Race car that were fully race pepped that this car was in a league of its own

ps.............. i think my BT is faster Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge vs M3 GTtt .................... Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1794 Post(s)

Nicely detailed thread!

Happy to see M30 love.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nicely detailed thread!

Happy to see M30 love.
    They are not the best output/cc in BMW engine history ,, but one of the most robust,, simple,, strong ,, and extremely reliable engine ,, in the world of F/I i think the M30 is one of those engines that can take most force before braking down ,, on oem internals,, and i mean power @ cc

To be honest ,, the m50 is probably the best engine they have made,, ALL incl..
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1794 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ALPINA Click here to enlarge
    They are not the best output/cc in BMW engine history ,, but one of the most robust,, simple,, strong ,, and extremely reliable engine ,, in the world of F/I i think the M30 is one of those engines that can take most force before braking down ,, on oem internals,, and i mean power @ cc

To be honest ,, the m50 is probably the best engine they have made,, ALL incl..
    Sir, I will agree with that. The M50 series has done amazing things. I can not disagree.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hi friend I have found a motor alpine b10 I would want to transplant him/it on my e36 bmw the guy you/he/she has said that it climbs on serious bmw 6 e24s, series 5 e28 has 360cved and' biturbo, wanted to know if and' 12 valves or 24 valves, and if and' easy to find pieces of exchange, in anymore the change how much couple can hold up, considering that I want to elaborate the motor changing pistons and connecting rods, I would want to do on the 600hp,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

M30 transplant in E36 is stupid... just my 0.02$

Put it in a E30.... if you can fit it with the bottom-mounted turbos, they barely fit in a E34.... and the E34's engine bay is HUGE compared to both E30 and E36...

But Sveinbjörn, that starter is a OEM M73N unit, i though i told you that... ?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks for such detailed post. I learned something today. What a great car indeed. Keep having fun!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Amazing car! Glad it is in good hands. Those BT's are amazing stock. My modded 745i turbo setup in my E28 is putting down 390whp and 440 rwtq at 18psi on a stock B34 engine with ARP studs and a MLS headgasket.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1794 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by clongo Click here to enlarge
    My modded 745i turbo setup in my E28 is putting down 390whp and 440 rwtq at 18psi on a stock B34 engine with ARP studs and a MLS headgasket.
    Would love to see a thread on your car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Amazing car! Glad it is in good hands. Those BT's are amazing stock. My modded 745i turbo setup in my E28 is putting down 390whp and 440 rwtq at 18psi on a stock B34 engine with ARP studs and a MLS headgasket.
    Yes they are,, even today,,

but thats quite a force you are putting down to the tarmac,, impressive indeed
    good luck with this project,,

ps......... BTW back in the days , the 745 was an unbeliveble fast 4door car
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    M30 transplant in E36 is stupid... just my 0.02$

Put it in a E30.... if you can fit it with the bottom-mounted turbos, they barely fit in a E34.... and the E34's engine bay is HUGE compared to both E30 and E36...

But Sveinbjörn, that starter is a OEM M73N unit, i though i told you that... ?
    This starter is from a E32 750 ((Yr 999))
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes they are,, even today,,

but thats quite a force you are putting down to the tarmac,, impressive indeed
    good luck with this project,,

Thanks! I will post a build thread once the forum allows me to post links to the pics. I just spend a hour writing up a build thread to find out I cannot post pics. Very irritating...

Anyway, you are right. The 745's are very quick and capable cars. Especially for their era.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This starter is from a E32 750 ((Yr 999))
    Sorry, i had forgotten that the M73N starter i gave you was for your Cabrio Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1794 Post(s)

Thanks! I will post a build thread once the forum allows me to post links to the pics. I just spend a hour writing up a build thread to find out I cannot post pics. Very irritating...

Anyway, you are right. The 745's are very quick and capable cars. Especially for their era.
    You just could not link, you could upload attachments though.

You're fine now though, just takes 5 rep points and you are more than there. In the future, just ask me if you have any issue and I'll take care of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

It indeed was fast. My uncle had one, in those days it was the ultimate car. Read this days ago about the car:
    It has often been reported that the M5 was born out of specials built for racing drivers to use as their day cars. But according to Rosche, the inspiration came from elsewhere. Chairman of the Board von Kuehnheim had a new turbocharged 7 Series, with the result that his security people, who had 5 Series, couldn't keep up. Rather than opting for the presumably more straightforward solution of putting the security men in matching 7 Series, the men with dark glasses and trench coats brought their under-performing 5 Series to Rosche and requested that he do something about it.
    After von Kuehnheim's security people got their mean machines in the early 1980s, demand started to flow in from other quarters, and the board decided to go to series production with the M5 in 1984.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1794 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    It indeed was fast. My uncle had one, in those days it was the ultimate car. Read this days ago about the car:
    Where did you read that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where did you read that?
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/lookba...l/viewall.html

Cool things are mentioned there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned