Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Wheelhop Fixed ! 335i :.)

Had my diff locked down last week. Car doesnt show any wheelhop from a dig, slides are much more stable in a drift as well. Lockdown kit mods were poly bushings to replace all stock diff bushes, movement limiters and an additional arm added to the rear opposite the single rear bush.

Other goodies installed at the same time include the 335is motor mount and poly on the front upper thrust arms. Both noticeably improved car dynamics.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Those of you in the Eastern Pennsylvania Region can visit my fabber's shop; located an hour outside of Philadelphia in Bucks County. Give Rick a text/call at 267-884-3025. He's looking for a 135i and a Coupe for kit verification.
    Last edited by uniter; 02-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Was this a kit you installed or just bought M3 OEM parts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Everything was custom fabricated, ear & arm, poly bushings & bushing movement limiters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Good to know. I have some bad wheel hop at times and was planning on getting all of the M3 bushings and arms. Just didn't know if there was anything better. Glad you got yours sorted!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Cool, I'll just need the arm..i've been actually looking into this last year...this is a very typical mod on american muscle cars where they add an arm coming down to the diff housing to prevent twist on launch...

definitely interested in the "arm" part of the kit...whoever is making it should have a separate sale for that arm alone as many of us already firmed up the rear with m3 subframe bushings and m3 rear toe arms that almost eliminate wheelhop entirely...that "arm" will be the final piece of the puzzle to make it 100%

good work man! keep me posted for sure when/if its released...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Lockdown kit mods were poly bushings to replace all stock diff bushes, movement limiters and an additional arm added to the rear opposite the single rear bush.
    How much $?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Good stuff! I want this too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

This was a one-off fab and was done pretty economically. Rick wants to do a 135i and a 335i coupe before making a kit. If you're willing to take the jump you can give him a call at the number in the OP. Those willing to come out to the area will get a good deal on the kit Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Saw you did get the 335is motor mount. There was some contorversia whether or not these are different from the standard 335i mounts. Did you get a chance to compare them side by side? If so what is different exactly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Autobahn335i, I'm not sure what the differences are, but the P/Ns are different -only- for the passenger side (LHD, right.) Most of the difference is likely inside the mount. I noticed that the engine feels much more solid but I would likely feel an improvement if I put a new stock in as I'm at 90k miles. I think it's worthwhile to do an IS mount over stock when you're replacing your MMs due to maintenance. I managed to pick one up for around 250$ USD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I say you do a launch and do a vid showing no wheelhop Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I say you do a launch and do a vid showing no wheelhop Click here to enlarge
    +1 and throw some drifting into that. OH and get a fat guy to jump up and down on the trunk when you launch. If you can handle this then you have my money.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    +1 and throw some drifting into that. OH and get a fat guy to jump up and down on the trunk when you launch. If you can handle this then you have my money.
    lol shut up Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

klipseracer; i didn't know you were in PA. You bring your CF trunk and we can swap with the one you dent up.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Having no wheel hop on winter roads doesnt say much. 99.9 percent of the time on the street i wont hop. At the track though it more like 70/30 that it wont hop. Guys on slicks hell might as well order axles cause imo you got a 50/50 chance if you are a manual owner of breaking something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Having no wheel hop on winter roads doesnt say much. 99.9 percent of the time on the street i wont hop. At the track though it more like 70/30 that it wont hop. Guys on slicks hell might as well order axles cause imo you got a 50/50 chance if you are a manual owner of breaking something.
    My 1M snapped a charge-pipe in half from wheel hop on concrete from a dig on the 1-2 shift.

Is there any down-side to doing something like that? (The anti-hop mods)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

i think the official term for a diff lockdown bar is "axle snubber"...look them up! very popular on american muscle

Here's some info from an article i found...i like their comment on the rear lower control arm, making it parallel with the ground and not lowering the car past that in order to eliminate wheel hop:

The easiest and least expensive way to cure wheelhop in a rear-coil-spring car is to first lower the rear suspension until the lower control arm is level and parallel with the ground. That helps return the rear suspension to its proper geometry to help plant the rear tires. It may be difficult if you have large-diameter rear tires, but any effort toward positioning the lower control arms parallel with the ground will help.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/t...#ixzz1lGBRqHtE
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    My 1M snapped a charge-pipe in half from wheel hop on concrete from a dig on the 1-2 shift.

Is there any down-side to doing something like that? (The anti-hop mods)
    Wow thats the cirst time ive read about a n54 s apping a charge pipe. Crazy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Wow thats the cirst time ive read about a n54 s apping a charge pipe. Crazy
    Yeah, it was really pissing me off, considering my 135i before never had an issue. That was my second one, replaced by dealer. And the first one would keep disconnecting from the throttle body. The dealer was starting to think that I was up to something.

Third time was a charm, hasn't blown a apart or popped off yet. (Knock on wood)

I'm guessing $#@!ty quality control, or bad manufacturing tolerances of the equipment.
    Last edited by fundahl; 02-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, it was really pissing me off, considering my 135i before never had an issue. That was my second one, replaced by dealer. And the first one would keep disconnecting from the throttle body. The dealer was starting to think that I was up to something.

Third time was a charm, hasn't blown a apart or popped off yet. (Knock on wood)

I'm guessing $#@!ty quality control, or bad manufacturing tolerances of the equipment.
    Did the dealer end up replacing your motor mounts the last time out? I just find it hard to believe the engine shook so damn much that you cracked your cp. Sure sounds like a loose or cracked mount to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Did the dealer end up replacing your motor mounts the last time out? I just find it hard to believe the engine shook so damn much that you cracked your cp. Sure sounds like a loose or cracked mount to me.
    I mentioned that to them, that there may be some loose drive-train components causing the issue. I also get a slight "thud" as I let off the gas from light load at highway speeds, probably from the LSD. They said they checked the engine, tranny and diff mounts and that everything was fine, so hopefully they actually did. I'll check them with a torque wrench when I'm under the car putting on CP-E Mids and DPs.

Anyway, if that guy could make a kit for us that would be really useful, especially with sticky tires at drag strips.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Requested video Click here to enlarge

Revised and tested on e92 and e90.
    100% CNC
    100% Bolt-In
    4 Bushings
    1 Arm

Several months of testing and design iterations.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Excellent1 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

How much!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

It's going to sell quite nicely, need that vendor account setup ASAP...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast