Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's not that it's complicated, Sticky, the problem is they're being paid by the manufacturers of the trucks. As long as lobbying is allowed and companies can use their money to buy influence in government, we're going to have to live with extremely retarded laws that help no one but the corporations themselves.

The best selling vehicle in the US has been the F150 for quite some time, so if the government really cared about decreasing pollution and fuel consumption they'd look make those pickups and actual trucks a lot more fuel efficient before they started trying to make regular cars a little more efficient. You know what should really be a hybrid? A 40 ton truck. Nobody gives a $#@! about the driving enjoyment or sporty sound of a truck, they could really use the electric torque to get them moving and they use a huge amount of fuel so even a modest increase in their efficiency would help tremendously (especially when you consider how many millions of miles trucks drive) but the problem is truck manufacturers don't want to spend extra money developing and producing trucks.

The truth is it's in their best interest (and the interest of the oil companies) to dissuade the poulation from realizing how much sense diesel cars make, that's why diesel fuel used to be the cheapest at the pump (because it takes a lot less refining to make it) and now it mysteriously costs more than premium and that's why it's so hard for companies like BMW to bring over these cars. If you want my opinion, I don't think the government should be in charge of deciding what kinds of cars are being made. We don't want your stupid ethanol, we don't want 50mpg pieces of $#@! just take all your legislation and choke on it.

Not to derail this thread or anything. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    It's not that it's complicated, Sticky, the problem is they're being paid by the manufacturers of the trucks. As long as lobbying is allowed and companies can use their money to buy influence in government, we're going to have to live with extremely retarded laws that help no one but the corporations themselves.

The best selling vehicle in the US has been the F150 for quite some time, so if the government really cared about decreasing pollution and fuel consumption they'd look make those pickups and actual trucks a lot more fuel efficient before they started trying to make regular cars a little more efficient. You know what should really be a hybrid? A 40 ton truck. Nobody gives a $#@! about the driving enjoyment or sporty sound of a truck, they could really use the electric torque to get them moving and they use a huge amount of fuel so even a modest increase in their efficiency would help tremendously (especially when you consider how many millions of miles trucks drive) but the problem is truck manufacturers don't want to spend extra money developing and producing trucks.

The truth is it's in their best interest (and the interest of the oil companies) to dissuade the poulation from realizing how much sense diesel cars make, that's why diesel fuel used to be the cheapest at the pump (because it takes a lot less refining to make it) and now it mysteriously costs more than premium and that's why it's so hard for companies like BMW to bring over these cars. If you want my opinion, I don't think the government should be in charge of deciding what kinds of cars are being made. We don't want your stupid ethanol, we don't want 50mpg pieces of $#@! just take all your legislation and choke on it.

Not to derail this thread or anything. Click here to enlarge
    This is all part of the general idea of the thread.

Good post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If i were married and had kids, M550d would be the car i would drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has anyone read the http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rul...March_2010.pdf

Very Interesting Read... Specifically pages 56 - 58.
    Look at Table 27 Emissions Rates Worksheet (Sample) & Tailpipe Emissions Rates (grams per gallon)
    Gas CO2 Emission is: 8,852; SOx: .170
    Diesel CO2 Emission: 10,239; SOx: .096

A lot of this is way above my head, but it shows that Diesel in some ways in better (besides MPG's) than Gas, and in some respects worse... I know some of the more intelligent members on here can make sense of half the mumbo jumbo the CAFE system entails, and I hope someone can shed light on their report... Read it, if you want... Maybe this will explain why BMW can't release the 40d and 50d's here in the states...
    Last edited by FLYING X5; 01-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Remonster you nailde it correctly. Ford has been dominating the P'up area for a lot of years with its Diesel and the other to say, They dish out a lot of money so that can stay afloat . Very true in truck nonregulation, but cars pay the price aint that some sheit!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12