Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mr_pharmd Click here to enlarge
    doesnt the ar oc connect to the oem oil cooler so wouldnt itstill be better over stock??
    Not sure...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mr_pharmd Click here to enlarge
    doesnt the ar oc connect to the oem oil cooler so wouldn't it still be better over stock??
    All oil coolers connect to the oil circuit of the car and therefor to the original oil cooler (if there is one). Therefor also the AR Design is connected to the stock oil cooler.

Of course the AR Design oil cooler also contributes to lower oil temperatures. However, depending on your level of engine tuning and driving habits (i.e. race track or street), it may not be sufficient.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (hlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your car doesn't come with an Oil cooler from the factory, Ar also sells you the new Oil Filter housing with the extension to add inlet and outlet lines. Its around 500$ additional.

Ive installed a few of these, starting with BobS and they are a nice kit. Pretty pricey for what it is, but the custom made oil line adapter (black box with AR on it) is a nice piece that took some time making.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reviving the thread, I'm interested to know if the 335is (which I believe comes with the BMW PPK, which has an upgraded watercooler, not oil cooler) requires an oil cooler upgrade for street/road course dual duty cars, if it's bolt-on, and what choices I have.

Normally oil coolers aren't such bolt-on kits right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take a look at your oil filter housing. It'll tell you right away if you have an oil cooler or not.

I think after 08 or 09, all cars shipping with the n54 engine had an oil cooler.

On most cars fitting an oil cooler isn't exactly a bolt on affair. With this setup you are replacing the factory lines, the factory adapter plate, and the factory heat exchanger core with aftermarket parts.

I don't know if this stett one lives in the same spot as the factory oil cooler (passenger fender iirc) or if they relocate it to infront of the rad.

Some of these upgraded aftermarket oil coolers require some 'adjustment' for them to fit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So overpriced. BMS or PTF needs to come up with a reasonably priced option. Combined with the RB plate you should be able to sell one in the $400-500 range. $900 is just nuts for what it is, not to mention the AR one is crap when exposed to track duty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    So overpriced. BMS or PTF needs to come up with a reasonably priced option. Combined with the RB plate you should be able to sell one in the $400-500 range. $900 is just nuts for what it is, not to mention the AR one is crap when exposed to track duty.
    +1

i'd like a well priced twin cooler kit (not $1500) Click here to enlarge (nice decent sized earls or setrab, decent mounting hardware it's for an oil cooler, not an artwork)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have same oil cooler.
    well cool, but I'll put it on the gearbox. Himself will do custom cooler under stock replacement. AR Design cooler have 142inch core capacity, my cooler have 289inch core capacity. here are the necessary parts:
    SETRAB OIL COOLER ADAPTER- P/N M22AN10 - 2
    BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter - 1
    AN -10 (10AN AN10) STRAIGHT Swivel Seal BLACK Hose Fitting (Earls Aeroquip Type) - 4
    AN -10 AN10 ( -10 JIC ) Nylon Braided Stealth Black Hose 6m (Pro Lite Type) 1
    Setrab 25-Row Series 9 310mm Oil Cooler, M22 Female O-ring Ports - 1
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The mounting bracket is the biggest issue for these retrofits. Sourcing the lines, fittings and core is the easy part.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r45t4335i Click here to enlarge
    The mounting bracket is the biggest issue for these retrofits. Sourcing the lines, fittings and core is the easy part.
    +1

It is a piece of bent metal. Low hanging fruit for whichever vendor builds it first. I'd pay $100 for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by r45t4335i Click here to enlarge
    that's always been my only thought when wanting to go something non-OTS.... lack of welding/fab skills hah

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    +1

It is a piece of bent metal. Low hanging fruit for whichever vendor builds it first. I'd pay $100 for it.
    put me down on preorder list haha

but seriously. i'll take a L+R oil cooler mounting bracket setup.

i'd take the brackets for a front mount oil cooler+intercooler combo too if anyone was willing to make them haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    I here are the necessary parts:
    SETRAB OIL COOLER ADAPTER- P/N M22AN10 - 2
    BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter - 1
    AN -10 (10AN AN10) STRAIGHT Swivel Seal BLACK Hose Fitting (Earls Aeroquip Type) - 4
    AN -10 AN10 ( -10 JIC ) Nylon Braided Stealth Black Hose 6m (Pro Lite Type) 1
    Setrab 25-Row Series 9 310mm Oil Cooler, M22 Female O-ring Ports - 1
    though on the other hand:

$9.75 SETRAB OIL COOLER ADAPTER- P/N M22AN10 - 2
    $75 BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter - 1
    $14 AN -10 (10AN AN10) STRAIGHT Swivel Seal BLACK Hose Fitting (Earls Aeroquip Type) - 4
    $140 AN -10 AN10 ( -10 JIC ) Nylon Braided Stealth Black Hose 6m (Pro Lite Type) 1
    $259.50 Setrab 25-Row Series 9 310mm Oil Cooler, M22 Female O-ring Ports - 1

so $549.50 + $100 (say) for some brackets and we're on $650

and that's not even counting the kits that include the thermo housing blanking plate + new lower temp thermostat...

or the fact you don't have to spend ages dicking around with it

and suddenly it's not so unreasonable to pay a bit more?

though if you were really keen, i can't see why you couldn't get 2 small bits of alu or SS for $5-$10, mark it out, crack out the angle grinder, drill a handful of holes, and get the brackets welded together just for you... <$30 even potentially (assuming you have the basic needed tools)

and we're back to being an excellent idea haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    though on the other hand:

$9.75 SETRAB OIL COOLER ADAPTER- P/N M22AN10 - 2
    $75 BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter - 1
    $14 AN -10 (10AN AN10) STRAIGHT Swivel Seal BLACK Hose Fitting (Earls Aeroquip Type) - 4
    $140 AN -10 AN10 ( -10 JIC ) Nylon Braided Stealth Black Hose 6m (Pro Lite Type) 1
    $259.50 Setrab 25-Row Series 9 310mm Oil Cooler, M22 Female O-ring Ports - 1

so $549.50 + $100 (say) for some brackets and we're on $650

and that's not even counting the kits that include the thermo housing blanking plate + new lower temp thermostat...

or the fact you don't have to spend ages dicking around with it

and suddenly it's not so unreasonable to pay a bit more?

though if you were really keen, i can't see why you couldn't get 2 small bits of alu or SS for $5-$10, mark it out, crack out the angle grinder, drill a handful of holes, and get the brackets welded together just for you... <$30 even potentially (assuming you have the basic needed tools)

and we're back to being an excellent idea haha
    In my kit you don't need remove oil thermostat ) I use "BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter" for this.
    About brackets I can do it myself.
    I wrote above ar-disign to small.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    In my kit you don't need remove oil thermostat ) I use "BMW E36 Euro, E82, E9X 135/335, E46 M3 Air Oil Cooler adapter" for this.
    About brackets I can do it myself.
    I wrote above ar-disign to small.
    i meant if you wanted to go a low temperature thermostat. Then you need to remove OEM one
    boop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12