Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not going to lie, I kind of feel disgusting about even owning a set of AA downpipes. What a horrible customer service. I want to hear AA side of the story though............

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think they should pay at least half of the block for trying to screw over BMW, and that not working out because on the dyno time at the shop.

I feel that should bite them in the ass somehow for being shady.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e38 prototype Click here to enlarge
    I think they should pay at least half of the block for trying to screw over BMW
    This part if true definitely looks REALLY bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mpowered Click here to enlarge
    It is very unfortunate, because I know accidents happen, and it really speaks volumes about someone or a business with how they handle them. I myself own a car shop and when one of my technicians ultimately caused an engine to fail on a customers car, I stepped up to the plate and took care of it out of pocket to appease customer-because it was the right thing to do. I know if the rolls were reversed, I would have stepped up and bought the customer(me) a new engine to correct the problem at hand.
    In your opinion what was the cause of the failure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, but was it a kit designed for the Z06 with a tune from Precision? See the slight difference there?
    if the tune or the turbo caused the failure due to a defect then yes, that's a different story. so, where's the failure analysis to point to the tune/blower being the cause?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    so, where's the failure analysis to point to the tune/blower being the cause?
    I think this is the question that still needs to be resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    messed up story

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Question - did you have a pulley?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

WOW! WHAT A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES! No other platform have i ever seen so many people cry about a warranty when they mod $#@!. Even if the s/c kit was the best in the business, by best tuner in the world, no mistakes Ever, noone is going to warranty $#@! because your probably going to modify even that. They cant/wont warranty what they dont know and trust you to do with it. (like removing air filter to get more boost) Your modding a vehicle with a warranty already, so either u plan on cheating bmw in the first place, meaning you will cheat s/c company if it hapoens. OR you git the situation handled on your own if something does happen. Point is, if you dont have it in writing, dont expect it

With that said, 198? Really? And it let go at 6k? What could you possibly be doing at 6k and not pushing the car?
    Last edited by LostMarine; 01-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Second, whatever the issue, even IF completely AA's fault, has to have been solved. Aks car has been beaten up by him, me and whoever else he has let. Ive never seen any issues with it.

Lastly, in light of everything ive said, It really showcases what GINTANI did, and how impressive that is.
    Last edited by LostMarine; 01-18-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait, I am confused here. You supercharged a NA motor with a kit sold by AA and the car blew up while floored. How is that their problem?This happens in every community known to man kind, if you buy a turbo kit/blower kit, they warranty their kit, not your engine blowing up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    WOW! WHAT A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES! No other platform have i ever seen so many people cry about a warranty when they mod $#@!. Even if the s/c kit was the best in the business, by best tuner in the world, no mistakes Ever, noone is going to warranty $#@! because your probably going to modify even that. They cant/wont warranty what they dont know and trust you to do with it. (like removing air filter to get more boost) Your modding a vehicle with a warranty already, so either u plan on cheating bmw in the first place, meaning you will cheat s/c company if it hapoens. OR you git the situation handled on your own if something does happen. Point is, if you dont have it in writing, dont expect itWith that said, 198? Really? And it let go at 6k? What could you possibly be doing at 6k and not pushing the car?
    What LM said is right, he sounded a bit harsh but he's on something. FI on NA engine is gonna cost you an engine at the end. Whomever say their kit last as long as a stock motor or even half that is talking $#@!. Sooner or later you are gonna face that problem and also most of the customers beat the crap of their cars and I as the tuner know this better than anybody else. So I'm not gonna warranty anything unless i don't care about money. Plus if you mess up with the car and make the engine blown, how can I prove that you messed with it? Bottom line is, Warranty is not for those who want power, doesn't matter if it's factory warranty or tuner warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i am just copying a post from Sal @ evolve
    Hi Guys,

as a competitor to Active I hope my view will be taken seriously. It's not in my interest to help anyone out but in life you have to be fair and speak out.

I feel very bad for the OP and his issues but really AA should not be blanket accused like this without proof of their hardware/software actually causing any issue.
    Why do I say this? Well my reasons are based on experience of the S65 engine as follows:

We have seen 5 cars here ourselves blow out Cyl no 5 in the exact same way as this case.
    Most cars were stock and blew at medium load around mid rpm's under normal driving.

On the 2 cars that were out of warranty we decided to check by bore scoping and found pistons to be heavily damaged, spark plugs damaged and pieces of valve moving around inside or make their way into the stock CAT's.

We know our local dealers here know of even more but won't talk too much about it. So there are more than just the ones we have seen.

Even on the cars out of warranty BMW UK replaced the engines without question! They did try to charge labour on these cars but even then the owners gave a small fight and they gave in. What does this tell you?

To reiterate -- all cars had cyl no 5 blow out.

This is in our opinion a problem with the cyl head in the cyl 5 area on some cars. Not cam timing based either as if it was then you would have other pistons damaged too.

While I was in Dubai last month I saw another car blow Cyl no 5 and that's again running stock tune.

I know for a FACT that other tuners know about some cars blowing Cyl 5 and it surprises me they don't post about it when something bad happens to a tuner.

The question as to if Active gave good customer service or not if a different issue. They did pay something which in our book does go a long way.

They have plenty of supercharged cars around the world and not one has failed like this.

We should be very very careful about pointing fingers at a company.

This failure of cyl 5, in my professional opinion, has nothing to do with the AA supercharger kit being fitted.

I hope this information is useful to everyone and I hope everyone appreciates the fact that it is NOT in 'business interest' to defend the competition.

F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With all due respect to all forum members who have voiced their opinions on this matter, I appreciate it. I feel that if I created a kit with extensive R&D, offered at such a cost, I myself would own up to a mishap like this. I am curious to know if there are ANY other e9x M3 owners that have had the AA kit installed and failed. It's not like I had the kit on the car for 2+ years and it started wearing out over time. It's the fact that it just gave up completely at 1,200 miles. The fact that the bearings on the rods were fine indicates to me no lubrication issue on bottom end causing possible rod knock.

Our car dyno'd much lower than what their claims were as well. I have been wrapping my head around what caused this for 16 months now. I keep reverting back to the thought of the tune being off enough to let go in such short time. Let's say it wasn't the tune per say, the kit was 100% unaltered from what they installed at their shop. Was it driven aggressively? Yes. But that's what you have extensive R&D on such a kit so to test in all formats and scenarios. I know how to drive a car, I'm not new to driving high performance cars, both on street and track.

Did I understand that there is risk by modifying my car? Yes. There is always a risk. The question lies in, is their product really going to run safely on these motors? If they were so quick to try and cover this one incident up and suggest something underhanded like this, it beckons the question of is mine the only one that has failed from AA? Have they covered up others before it has leaked on to the web?

If I made a product that caused another component on the vehicle to fail due to it being directly related to my product, would I modify it to prevent these types of mishaps? Yes. Would I come out of pocket to fix things for customer? Yes. Maybe it is just me, but I was raised to do right by other people even if it calls for personal sacrifice.

As stated before, I have an extensive background in the automotive field, especially in BMW. I am a shop owner and if me just saying I would have handled things differently if it were my kit isn't enough, I encourage you to please see the type of operation I run, where clearly we take care of our customers and they share their positive responses in abundance http://www.google.com/maps/place?q=i...21393750738448

Do I expect everyone to do business as I do? No. Would it be nice? Yes.

This post was made to share my experience, and show exactly how I was treated. Others will have had great customer service with AA, as I'm sure some will have not.

I really am not 100% sure what is going on over there, but I have always dealt with their 2 stellar customer service guys in the past. They were able to at least make me feel that Active gave a damn about their customers. These 2 guys left Active, and I doubt it was because their bosses were treating them fairly. The people in charge over there have terrible customer service experience in my experience. I have brought them 10's of thousands of dollars in business over the past few years, yet they act as though that doesn't matter.

If there are questions I didn't answer please let me know. Thank you all again and have a great day!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With all due respect to all forum members who have voiced their opinions on this matter, I appreciate it. I feel that if I created a kit with extensive R&D, offered at such a cost, I myself would own up to a mishap like this. I am curious to know if there are ANY other e9x M3 owners that have had the AA kit installed and failed. It's not like I had the kit on the car for 2+ years and it started wearing out over time. It's the fact that it just gave up completely at 1,200 miles. The fact that the bearings on the rods were fine indicates to me no lubrication issue on bottom end causing possible rod knock.

Our car dyno'd much lower than what their claims were as well. I have been wrapping my head around what caused this for 16 months now. I keep reverting back to the thought of the tune being off enough to let go in such short time. Let's say it wasn't the tune per say, the kit was 100% unaltered from what they installed at their shop. Was it driven aggressively? Yes. But that's what you have extensive R&D on such a kit so to test in all formats and scenarios. I know how to drive a car, I'm not new to driving high performance cars, both on street and track.

Did I understand that there is risk by modifying my car? Yes. There is always a risk. The question lies in, is their product really going to run safely on these motors? If they were so quick to try and cover this one incident up and suggest something underhanded like this, it beckons the question of is mine the only one that has failed from AA? Have they covered up others before it has leaked on to the web?

If I made a product that caused another component on the vehicle to fail due to it being directly related to my product, would I modify it to prevent these types of mishaps? Yes. Would I come out of pocket to fix things for customer? Yes. Maybe it is just me, but I was raised to do right by other people even if it calls for personal sacrifice.

As stated before, I have an extensive background in the automotive field, especially in BMW. I am a shop owner and if me just saying I would have handled things differently if it were my kit isn't enough, I encourage you to please see the type of operation I run, where clearly we take care of our customers and they share their positive responses in abundance http://www.google.com/maps/place?q=i...21393750738448

This post was made to share my experience, and show exactly how I was treated. Others will have had great customer service with AA, as I'm sure some will have not.

I really am not 100% sure what is going on over there, but I have always dealt with their 2 stellar customer service guys in the past. They were able to at least make me feel that Active gave a damn about their customers. These 2 guys left Active, and I doubt it was because their bosses were treating them fairly. The people in charge over there have terrible customer service experience in my experience. I have brought them 10's of thousands of dollars in business over the past few years, yet they act as though that doesn't matter.

If there are questions I didn't answer please let me know. Thank you all again and have a great day!
    I know of the guys you speak of and they were both great and the only people i dealt with. I have one of their kits and have put alot of abuse on it and everything is fine with my car so far. I believe your the only motor that is blown with the active kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i have 15000+ miles of boost on the car and total 60,000 miles on the car. only problem was idle valve when i first bought the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    WOW! WHAT A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES! No other platform have i ever seen so many people cry about a warranty when they mod $#@!. Even if the s/c kit was the best in the business, by best tuner in the world, no mistakes Ever, noone is going to warranty $#@! because your probably going to modify even that. They cant/wont warranty what they dont know and trust you to do with it. (like removing air filter to get more boost) Your modding a vehicle with a warranty already, so either u plan on cheating bmw in the first place, meaning you will cheat s/c company if it hapoens. OR you git the situation handled on your own if something does happen. Point is, if you dont have it in writing, dont expect it

With that said, 198? Really? And it let go at 6k? What could you possibly be doing at 6k and not pushing the car?
    x2. This entire thread is ridiculous. There is ZERO EVIDENCE in this thread that the issue was related to the supercharger or tune. Great for stirring up some drama, and thats about it. Click here to enlarge

Show us a bunch of melted pistons, a lean dyno graph from AA, something. Stock motors fail sometimes when they are 100% stock. Frankly, that looks a lot like a money shifted motor.

Lastly - who pays $25k for a motor if they own a shop!?!? You can get an S65 for $10k pretty easily.

And this is coming from someone that competes directly with AA and would love nothing more than to steal their entire market share, LOL Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by ar design; 01-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Our car dyno'd much lower than what their claims were as well. I have been wrapping my head around what caused this for 16 months now. I keep reverting back to the thought of the tune being off enough to let go in such short time.Let's say it wasn't the tune per say, the kit was 100% unaltered from what they installed at their shop. Was it driven aggressively? Yes. But that's what you have extensive R&D on such a kit so to test in all formats and scenarios. I know how to drive a car, I'm not new to driving high performance cars, both on street and track.
    maybe that is signs of a failing motor BEFORE S/C...?

I apologize for being harsh, thats a $#@!load of money, i hear ya, I dont want to be in that situation.

I cant think of any AA car thats had issues, but i cant speak of their CS, but ive only heard/seen firsthand good things from akh.

Now, if you has signed an NDA, like a certain three letter bmw tuner so you cant talk about any issues, and still came forward, that would be a different story Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys, I really think you should let AA speak on their own behalf on the situation and rest assured, they WILL be responding this time, I know Karl and the AA family personally as well as being a dealer for them for over 4 years, I feel that the OP's story has signficant holes, and I think AA has earned the right to be able to respond to the OP's acusations made in this thread. I'm the owner of this shop, and we have done multiple AA E9x M3's and quite a few E46's, E36's and a hard drive full of flash tunes and custom files done by Karl himself, and YET to have any significant issues with anything, and AA has always stepped up and taken care of us and our customers if any issues arrised.

Please sticky, be respectful and allow AA to respond, which I know personally they will, and I think you'll find there is more to the story here, and I'm not biased, I do agree with the OP if AA's product is directly responsible then that is a different story all together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree. Bashing AA with one side of the story is pretty weaksauce.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you were at one point a shop owner and have an understanding of tuning ect. Did you ever log your car? Any logs showing at least the basics? If no then you simply have no case here what so ever. If you left AA and the car was surging/bucking backfiring ect, then you might have a case. However you drove 1200 miles reporting no issues and the motor simply let go, thats on you unless YOU can show data providing otherwise.

Like other here have stated, motors blow randomly, yours might have been on the way out, and the added boost was the straw that broke the camels back. I personally wouldnt even post the fact that you hid all this and tried to get it covered by BMW, as they too read forums and if someone is spiteful enough you can open up another can of worms.

Next time you try to FI a NA car, do a little more reasearch of what you are doing. What are the other companies running boost wise? what do their tunes look like, which included meth and failsafes ect ect. That is all on you to pick a product you feel will give you waht you want safley. However if you want my recomendation lol, dont ever FI a NA motor unless its minimal boost without building the bottom end, otherwise its just a ticking bomb that you can make last longer by being extremely anal with tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    So you were at one point a shop owner and have an understanding of tuning ect. Did you ever log your car? Any logs showing at least the basics? If no then you simply have no case here what so ever. If you left AA and the car was surging/bucking backfiring ect, then you might have a case. However you drove 1200 miles reporting no issues and the motor simply let go, thats on you unless YOU can show data providing otherwise.

Like other here have stated, motors blow randomly, yours might have been on the way out, and the added boost was the straw that broke the camels back. I personally wouldnt even post the fact that you hid all this and tried to get it covered by BMW, as they too read forums and if someone is spiteful enough you can open up another can of worms.

Next time you try to FI a NA car, do a little more reasearch of what you are doing. What are the other companies running boost wise? what do their tunes look like, which included meth and failsafes ect ect. That is all on you to pick a product you feel will give you waht you want safley. However if you want my recomendation lol, dont ever FI a NA motor unless its minimal boost without building the bottom end, otherwise its just a ticking bomb that you can make last longer by being extremely anal with tune.
    I rarely agree with you, but when I do, it's for post #46.

Click here to enlarge
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge

Quoted for truthiness.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

This issue began in 2010. I'm just wondering, why did you stay quiet for so long?

Why is it that now you are posting this basically everywhere? Is it at anyone's insistence or is it your own doing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@lutzperformance Click here to enlarge
    Guys, I really think you should let AA speak on their own behalf on the situation and rest assured, they WILL be responding this time, I know Karl and the AA family personally as well as being a dealer for them for over 4 years, I feel that the OP's story has signficant holes, and I think AA has earned the right to be able to respond to the OP's acusations made in this thread.
    I look forward to AA's response but why in the world didn't we get this response over a year ago?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast