Close

Thread: N63 Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

N63 Tune

I spent about an hour reading about the various tunes for the N63tt engine. This being my first BMW (3 AMG's in my past stable sold my E63 for the X5 50i), I thought I was ready to get a Dinan tune, but looking at the various tuners out there, I am confused on which tune to get. Mind you guys, living in Tennessee, I am limited as to where I can go for a tune, that said, I thought that Dinan was the tops, but as I read the various threads, I guess they are on the conservative side. Any suggestions on tuners,??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

last I heard OE Tuning was working on one..but that was about it I believe..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the follow-up Matt,,,,,being a newbe to BMW, plus a first timer to the turbo side,,, I'am really torn on this one. The Dinan claims to have some nice numbers, but as some guys said on some older threads,,,a 25% increase in very conservative. To me, getting about 495hp and 575lb-ft is some serious numbers, but then again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Id sit back and wait a bit. Downpipes are out for the 550i, not sure if they fit the X5/X6 just yet, Id have to contact AR design as ask them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by buckeyewalt Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the follow-up Matt,,,,,being a newbe to BMW, plus a first timer to the turbo side,,, I'am really torn on this one. The Dinan claims to have some nice numbers, but as some guys said on some older threads,,,a 25% increase in very conservative. To me, getting about 495hp and 575lb-ft is some serious numbers, but then again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Buckeye how far do you plan on modifying the car? How important is warranty coverage to you? These questions are important to determine which tune is the best. OE and a few others are working on tunes but so far it's only Dinan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Actually if you have another car besides the F10 there's already other tunes out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I don't have an F10 (by the way,,what is a F10 without asking a stupid question)just a X5 50i. You know,,,I don't want to get too radical here with the tune,,,,wife gave me a thumbs-up on the tune and she is the main driver during the week, (company car for me),,but on weekends,,my turn...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge.......I had a sportmap tune on my AMG,,,but again totally new to the turbo scene. I have heard good tings about OE tuning and of course Dinan.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I don't have an F10 (by the way,,what is a F10 without asking a stupid question)just a X5 50i. You know,,,I don't want to get too radical here with the tune,,,,wife gave me a thumbs-up on the tune and she is the main driver during the week, (company car for me),,but on weekends,,my turn...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge.......I had a sportmap tune on my AMG,,,but again totally new to the turbo scene. I have heard good tings about OE tuning and of course Dinan.....
    An F10 is bmw's model code for the new 5 series. I asked because although the new 550i uses the same N63 as is in your X5 they use a different computer and only dinan has been able to tune the new computer on the 5 series. For the X5 there are several tunes and if you go on like X specific forums you'll see several reviews of different tunes. I believe ESS also has a tune for your car. However based on your comments I'd say the Dinan would be the best bet. You'll keep some type of warranty(which you'd lose with any other tune) and if your not gonna do more mods it'll give you plenty of power. The main reason I haven't gotten the Dinan is because I plan to heavily modify the car and Dinan doesn't go that far or work with other non-dinan products but as for reliability and smoothness it's hard to beat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Dinan = Solid results, reliable and REALLY expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    An F10 is bmw's model code for the new 5 series. I asked because although the new 550i uses the same N63 as is in your X5 they use a different computer and only dinan has been able to tune the new computer on the 5 series. For the X5 there are several tunes and if you go on like X specific forums you'll see several reviews of different tunes. I believe ESS also has a tune for your car. However based on your comments I'd say the Dinan would be the best bet. You'll keep some type of warranty(which you'd lose with any other tune) and if your not gonna do more mods it'll give you plenty of power. The main reason I haven't gotten the Dinan is because I plan to heavily modify the car and Dinan doesn't go that far or work with other non-dinan products but as for reliability and smoothness it's hard to beat.
    Jimefam,,,,Thank-You for a detailed understanding on what would be ideal for my vehicle........looks like it will be a Dinan tune,,,even though it would be $$$$$ it probably would be me best. Good luck on your mods.........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

You definitely want a tune on this car. The downpipes are a pretty good idea as well.

Dinan is a great option but conservative/reliable. For now, Dinan seems to be the main option as the other tuners get their offerings out. If you aren't in a rush I would just wait a little bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Planning on waiting a few months (winter here),,,but early spring, hopefully some other ones are out if not,,,Dinan it it..........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

RENNtech have an available X6 N63tt tune. But, not released yet on their site.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah and from what I spoke with bob over there they are a couple months away from an F10 N63 tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Please send me the details on this ASAP...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yeah and from what I spoke with bob over there they are a couple months away from an F10 N63 tune.
    The E70/E71 S63 are completed stages & E70/E71 N63 are on final validation stages. The F01/F10 N63 w/Flexray will be available soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Flexray? Also do you have any idea how much power they're getting out of the N63's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Ahhh never mind a quick google search got me some info on that flexray, is that why everyone I've talked to keeps saying they need some special cable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

The F01/F10 N63 w/Flexray will be available soon.
    What is Flexray? A handheld programmer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Interesting... look forward to seeing this in application.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any updates on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kjeronimo91 Click here to enlarge
    any updates on this?
    Nothing yet, Dinan still seems to be the main option although Renntech should be coming soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do t understand how we have ar downpipes but we don't have a tune for it . Yet there already putting the m5 from 560 to 720 hp !!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kjeronimo91 Click here to enlarge
    I do t understand how we have ar downpipes but we don't have a tune for it . Yet there already putting the m5 from 560 to 720 hp !!!
    Hardware and software are completely different things.