Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Another JAWS MOTORSPORT ALPHA-N tune in the USA +38WHP

I just got an email from a STOKED customer who has our Carbon fiber plenums, BMC CAi and Alpha-N tune.

He will post before and after dyno with video´s and he´s own review up from the purchase to driving experience.

At the Dyno shop tonight he got the figure 484,7whp and 333 ft/lbs (we got 484,2 here in Sweden) and then he emailed again when back home:

"Update on the numbers:

Got home with the files and viewed them with WinPep 7 software. Uncorrected and with smoothing on 5 (same as all other runs) it displays 478.68 and 333.25 at the wheels! That's 38 WHP! Of course only 2 additional ft/lb's of torque at peak but if you look at the curve there is an average of 15 ft/lb all the way through to redline (actually closer to 20 near the limiter).
    "

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The purpose and scope of this thread is to offer a complete comprehensive review of the JAWS Motorsport Intake and Tune package you have recently seen posted on the forum. On to the review:

In early November of last year I inquired to JAWS Motorsport about the Intake and Tune package they were developing. I was interested in potentially purchasing the complete package which included:

-Dimsport MyGenius flashloader and software
    -BMC high flow 3.5" filters
    -Powdercoated intake pipes and heat shields
    -CF topped intake plenums with custom trumpets
    -Couplers and required hardware

Well after a few weeks of constant contact with Jonas (I'm assuming he is the owner of the business), I pulled the trigger while still having plenty of reservations about removing the MAF's and IAT's from the car. About 1 month later (due to issues with the powdercoater - which are no longer a problem since they had 10 sets of piping and heat shields coated during this batch - for quick shipping!) I received this Click here to enlarge :

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

As you can see the quality of the packaging was very good, however I feel some peanuts could have possibly added a bit more safety (I'm sure Joans will take mind of this as he has been excellent with customer service!), though nothing was damaged. There was a nice 3/8"-1/2" layer of bubble wrap around every part, and there was more soft cardboard over all the items (not shown in picture) to help keep them in place. The finish of the carbon fiber is absolutely fantastic.

The flashloader package included the loader itself, USB cable for connecting the flashloader to a computer, OBD II cable for connecting flashloader to the car, what appeared to be a backprobing wire (blue) that connects to the OBD cable if needed (not needed here), and a USB flash-drive containing the software for your computer.

Click here to enlarge

The process of getting the tune file took a bit of trial and error, but it is all sorted now and getting this done will be a quick and easy process. This is the procedure in a nutshell:

Connect your MyGenius unit to your laptop or desktop computer via the supplied USB cable. Load the supplied ABL file that JAWS will e-mail to you. Update the unit via the internet by using the included software (very self explanitory).

Now off to the car with the supplied OBD II cable. There is a specific procedure to follow here that is thoroughly described in the .PDF instruction manual that JAWS will also e-mail to you. In a nutshell you connect to the car and download the tune file to the MyGenius unit. I selected "FULL" read but apparantly I only had to select "PARTIAL" to get what JAWS needs. Warning if you select full you will be freezing in your car for 2.5 hours as you wait for the download to finish (you are not supposed to open the doors or turn on the lights etc. while the Genius reads and writes files. I would suggest when reading and writing files to open the drivers window and do everything through it so you can leave the loader to do the work. I am told if reading out only the partial file it takes a mere 15-20 minutes. It is also recommended that you connect your battery to a charger while doing this as the key must remain on without the engine started.

Once the download is complete, you connect the flashloader to your computer with the supplied USB cable and open the MyGenius software. Select "Upload from Genius" to save the file to your computers hard drive. Now simply attach this file to an e-mail you send to JAWS. They will modify it in a day and e-mail it back to you.

Once the modified file is received , open the software on your computer and select "Download to Genius", a browser will pop up and you can select the modified .FPF file JAWS sent you as an attachment in an e-mail. Take the Genius to the car with the OBD cable and follow the .PDF instructions to write the file to your car's ECM.

Once that is done you can go about removing the stock filter boxes and MAF's. This is a relatively easy task and I believe it has been described before on this forum. Once removed, install the heat shields that are included in the kit (with nice flexible rubber around the edges to prevent scratches). Then you can connect the filter piping and BMC filters to the intake plenums. If you are like me and decide to opt for the CF Topped Plenums with aluminum trumpets its not quite that easy. Getting to all of the hose clamps for the 10 throttle bodies can be a bit of a pain, but it is do-able with a 1/4" drive socket set and swivel. Keep in mind there are snap-on connectors at the rear of the plenums that can't really be accessed until the plenums are loose so be careful! Here are a few pictures I have from the installation process:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I was surprised to see such CNC porting on the intake runners of the cylinder head, even the valve guides are machined flush! I did wipe out the oil residue seen the the throttle body pictures during the installation. I decided to go matte black on the emblems as I feel it looks better against the carbon fiber finish.

Now onto the real matter at hand, how does it feel?

Initial startup was just as it was when it was stock, here is a video of the first time I fired the engine after performing the flash and plenum/intake swap:

+

As you can see it fired right up with the same number of cranking revolutions as before the swap. Also it free-revved even when cold quite nicely (dare I say better response than stock?). I had requested a less aggressive, more conservative file from them at first, and I got what I paid for. There wasn't much of a difference in power output and drivablitliy was about the same as stock. I did do a baseline run and a tuned run but the difference in those numbers is irrelevant as I requested the "regular" tune file from JAWS that they originally developed and tested on their car after the results. Once I flashed the normal tune file all I can say is WHOA!!! This thing pulls like crazy now! If it is very cold outside (20-30F), smoothly rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear will cause the tires to begin struggling for grip at around 6,000 RPM (peak torque). So much so that traction control kicks in a bit even though DSC is disabled! You've got to be careful in M mode now if your's is setup like mine (DSC fully inactive).

Daily drivability was a major concern of mine. I didn't care if I made huge numbers and the car was faster - well maybe I did care a little Click here to enlarge. I wanted the car to behave like it did stock, very smooth powerband and decent response. I can report that both of those points have remained intact if not improved! Throttle response seems to be quicker and more connected, no more lag and delay after throttle application... The power comes on strong and remains very smooth even at partial throttle. I even rolled into and out of it during one solid pull and no hiccups... All I can say is I'm impressed. And as JAWS knows after the 200+ PM's & E-mails we have exchanged, that is not an easy task.

The shop I went to for Dyno'ing is New German Performance in Aberdeen, MD. I'd highly recommend them as they treat your car with respect and operate with a high level of professionalism. If you are in the D.C. / Baltimore area you should check them out: ngpracing.com Tell Dave your a member of M5Board and that Tyler sent you, he will give you a good deal. One of the reasons I chose them is because they specialize in German vehicles (hence the name). I knew they would appreciate the car I was bringing to them and treat it with respect. I just felt if I went to a domestic oriented shop the employees would be less than enthused about the M5 if you catch my drift.

Onto the numbers, I baseline dyno'ed the car last saturday on NGP's DynoJet Dynamometer. My numbers are all listed UNCORRECTED and smoothing on level 5. Baseline numbers were 440.12 HP and 331.05 FT/LB torque. The temperature was roughly 50F the day of my baseline pulls, however the shop temperature was in the mid 60's. Relative humidity was below 10% for all pulls and barometric pressure was within 1 in/hg. After the 2nd flash and the normal tune loaded to the ECM, I went back to the dyno for more pulls (this morning). My final numbers (confrimed with 2 pulls back to back) were 478.68 HP and 333.25 FT/LB torque. That's a massive 38.56 WHP difference! The max torque values are only up 2 but if you look at the graph below you will see that the average torque gain across the entire RPM band is 10-15 FT/LB. Outside temperature this morning was fairly cold, around 35F. But this was done indoors with a fan in front of the car pulling in air from outside through the garage door that was 3' up. So the air intake temps were likely similar. All pulls were done with the hood open and same fan conditions. Also they were done in 4th gear (I have a 6MT car). Here is a graph comparing my baseline to the JAWS setup:

Click here to enlarge

So there is the proof that they weren't lying when they stated the gains they were able to achieve. I have no doubt they were able to knock 7 tenths of a second off the stock 100-200km time. The AFR is actually a little bit richer than stock so that adds to the safety of the tune.

Here are a couple of dyno-pull video's with the new intake, my ///M emblem has since been better adhered lol:

+

+

To close out this review I would just like to give Jonas the the folks over at JAWS Motorsports a big round of applause. I have been a major PITA I'm sure, and they have really stepped up and made this experience very enjoyable for me. I have sent them countless e-mails (well over 100 - 200+ combined between myself and Jonas), and they always responded the same day, sometimes within mere minutes. They also footed the bill for the additional tuned dyno time as I was unhappy with the initial results, that is customer service in my opinion. Sure there were times when I was unhappy, but they always made it right and in the end I'm a very satisfied customer. I think if anyone here is on the fence about going Alpha-N, they might as well leap off like I did, you'll probably like what you end up with Click here to enlarge. On a side note I'd also recommend doing the intake plenums as it makes the car sound so good I can't describe it with words. Watch above dyno videos for more on the sound.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Tyler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Awesome. Looks like a really happy customer.

I think it's the best bang for the buck. After spending close to $17K on headers, intake and exhaust my car was close to 490 whp range. Now with much less, you can make 480 whp. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Sorena; 01-17-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Awesome. Looks like a really happy customer.

I think it's the best bang for the buck. After spending close to $17K on headers, intake and exhaust my car was close to 490 whp range. Now with much less, you can make 480 whp. Click here to enlarge
    There will be a 500whp+ kit avaible soon for 50% off that amount u wrote....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JAWS Motorsport Click here to enlarge
    The purpose and scope of this thread is to offer a complete comprehensive review of the JAWS Motorsport Intake and Tune package you have recently seen posted on the forum. On to the review:

In early November of last year I inquired to JAWS Motorsport about the Intake and Tune package they were developing. I was interested in potentially purchasing the complete package which included:

-Dimsport MyGenius flashloader and software
    -BMC high flow 3.5" filters
    -Powdercoated intake pipes and heat shields
    -CF topped intake plenums with custom trumpets
    -Couplers and required hardware

Well after a few weeks of constant contact with Jonas (I'm assuming he is the owner of the business), I pulled the trigger while still having plenty of reservations about removing the MAF's and IAT's from the car. About 1 month later (due to issues with the powdercoater - which are no longer a problem since they had 10 sets of piping and heat shields coated during this batch - for quick shipping!) I received this http://www.m5board.com/ubb/smile.gif :

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...37909188-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...0922_496-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...39056308-1.jpg

As you can see the quality of the packaging was very good, however I feel some peanuts could have possibly added a bit more safety (I'm sure Joans will take mind of this as he has been excellent with customer service!), though nothing was damaged. There was a nice 3/8"-1/2" layer of bubble wrap around every part, and there was more soft cardboard over all the items (not shown in picture) to help keep them in place. The finish of the carbon fiber is absolutely fantastic.

The flashloader package included the loader itself, USB cable for connecting the flashloader to a computer, OBD II cable for connecting flashloader to the car, what appeared to be a backprobing wire (blue) that connects to the OBD cable if needed (not needed here), and a USB flash-drive containing the software for your computer.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...39754623-1.jpg

The process of getting the tune file took a bit of trial and error, but it is all sorted now and getting this done will be a quick and easy process. This is the procedure in a nutshell:

Connect your MyGenius unit to your laptop or desktop computer via the supplied USB cable. Load the supplied ABL file that JAWS will e-mail to you. Update the unit via the internet by using the included software (very self explanitory).

Now off to the car with the supplied OBD II cable. There is a specific procedure to follow here that is thoroughly described in the .PDF instruction manual that JAWS will also e-mail to you. In a nutshell you connect to the car and download the tune file to the MyGenius unit. I selected "FULL" read but apparantly I only had to select "PARTIAL" to get what JAWS needs. Warning if you select full you will be freezing in your car for 2.5 hours as you wait for the download to finish (you are not supposed to open the doors or turn on the lights etc. while the Genius reads and writes files. I would suggest when reading and writing files to open the drivers window and do everything through it so you can leave the loader to do the work. I am told if reading out only the partial file it takes a mere 15-20 minutes. It is also recommended that you connect your battery to a charger while doing this as the key must remain on without the engine started.

Once the download is complete, you connect the flashloader to your computer with the supplied USB cable and open the MyGenius software. Select "Upload from Genius" to save the file to your computers hard drive. Now simply attach this file to an e-mail you send to JAWS. They will modify it in a day and e-mail it back to you.

Once the modified file is received , open the software on your computer and select "Download to Genius", a browser will pop up and you can select the modified .FPF file JAWS sent you as an attachment in an e-mail. Take the Genius to the car with the OBD cable and follow the .PDF instructions to write the file to your car's ECM.

Once that is done you can go about removing the stock filter boxes and MAF's. This is a relatively easy task and I believe it has been described before on this forum. Once removed, install the heat shields that are included in the kit (with nice flexible rubber around the edges to prevent scratches). Then you can connect the filter piping and BMC filters to the intake plenums. If you are like me and decide to opt for the CF Topped Plenums with aluminum trumpets its not quite that easy. Getting to all of the hose clamps for the 10 throttle bodies can be a bit of a pain, but it is do-able with a 1/4" drive socket set and swivel. Keep in mind there are snap-on connectors at the rear of the plenums that can't really be accessed until the plenums are loose so be careful! Here are a few pictures I have from the installation process:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...5602_967-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...1934_734-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...349_4031-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3504_101-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3421_494-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3512_243-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3254_185-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...2425_731-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...63224_97-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...4830_200-1.jpg

I was surprised to see such CNC porting on the intake runners of the cylinder head, even the valve guides are machined flush! I did wipe out the oil residue seen the the throttle body pictures during the installation. I decided to go matte black on the emblems as I feel it looks better against the carbon fiber finish.

Now onto the real matter at hand, how does it feel?

Initial startup was just as it was when it was stock, here is a video of the first time I fired the engine after performing the flash and plenum/intake swap:

As you can see it fired right up with the same number of cranking revolutions as before the swap. Also it free-revved even when cold quite nicely (dare I say better response than stock?). I had requested a less aggressive, more conservative file from them at first, and I got what I paid for. There wasn't much of a difference in power output and drivablitliy was about the same as stock. I did do a baseline run and a tuned run but the difference in those numbers is irrelevant as I requested the "regular" tune file from JAWS that they originally developed and tested on their car after the results. Once I flashed the normal tune file all I can say is WHOA!!! This thing pulls like crazy now! If it is very cold outside (20-30F), smoothly rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear will cause the tires to begin struggling for grip at around 6,000 RPM (peak torque). So much so that traction control kicks in a bit even though DSC is disabled! You've got to be careful in M mode now if your's is setup like mine (DSC fully inactive).

Daily drivability was a major concern of mine. I didn't care if I made huge numbers and the car was faster - well maybe I did care a little http://www.m5board.com/ubb/smile.gif. I wanted the car to behave like it did stock, very smooth powerband and decent response. I can report that both of those points have remained intact if not improved! Throttle response seems to be quicker and more connected, no more lag and delay after throttle application... The power comes on strong and remains very smooth even at partial throttle. I even rolled into and out of it during one solid pull and no hiccups... All I can say is I'm impressed. And as JAWS knows after the 200+ PM's & E-mails we have exchanged, that is not an easy task.

The shop I went to for Dyno'ing is New German Performance in Aberdeen, MD. I'd highly recommend them as they treat your car with respect and operate with a high level of professionalism. If you are in the D.C. / Baltimore area you should check them out: ngpracing.com Tell Dave your a member of M5Board and that Tyler sent you, he will give you a good deal. One of the reasons I chose them is because they specialize in German vehicles (hence the name). I knew they would appreciate the car I was bringing to them and treat it with respect. I just felt if I went to a domestic oriented shop the employees would be less than enthused about the M5 if you catch my drift.

Onto the numbers, I baseline dyno'ed the car last saturday on NGP's DynoJet Dynamometer. My numbers are all listed UNCORRECTED and smoothing on level 5. Baseline numbers were 440.12 HP and 331.05 FT/LB torque. The temperature was roughly 50F the day of my baseline pulls, however the shop temperature was in the mid 60's. Relative humidity was below 10% for all pulls and barometric pressure was within 1 in/hg. After the 2nd flash and the normal tune loaded to the ECM, I went back to the dyno for more pulls (this morning). My final numbers (confrimed with 2 pulls back to back) were 478.68 HP and 333.25 FT/LB torque. That's a massive 38.56 WHP difference! The max torque values are only up 2 but if you look at the graph below you will see that the average torque gain across the entire RPM band is 10-15 FT/LB. Outside temperature this morning was fairly cold, around 35F. But this was done indoors with a fan in front of the car pulling in air from outside through the garage door that was 3' up. So the air intake temps were likely similar. All pulls were done with the hood open and same fan conditions. Also they were done in 4th gear (I have a 6MT car). Here is a graph comparing my baseline to the JAWS setup:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...nevsJAWS-1.jpg

So there is the proof that they weren't lying when they stated the gains they were able to achieve. I have no doubt they were able to knock 7 tenths of a second off the stock 100-200km time. The AFR is actually a little bit richer than stock so that adds to the safety of the tune.

Here are a couple of dyno-pull video's with the new intake, my ///M emblem has since been better adhered lol:

To close out this review I would just like to give Jonas the the folks over at JAWS Motorsports a big round of applause. I have been a major PITA I'm sure, and they have really stepped up and made this experience very enjoyable for me. I have sent them countless e-mails (well over 100 - 200+ combined between myself and Jonas), and they always responded the same day, sometimes within mere minutes. They also footed the bill for the additional tuned dyno time as I was unhappy with the initial results, that is customer service in my opinion. Sure there were times when I was unhappy, but they always made it right and in the end I'm a very satisfied customer. I think if anyone here is on the fence about going Alpha-N, they might as well leap off like I did, you'll probably like what you end up with http://www.m5board.com/ubb/smile.gif. On a side note I'd also recommend doing the intake plenums as it makes the car sound so good I can't describe it with words. Watch above dyno videos for more on the sound.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Tyler.
    Talk about an epic post!

Not sure who Tyler is but that was very well done.

I have to say I'm impressed with how many guys in the US are getting Jaws parts. I hope that doesn't come off the wrong way!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

and People called BS when we did 485whp with bolt-ons and stock mafs Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    and People called BS when we did 485whp with bolt-ons and stock mafs Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what do you mean by bolt-ons. Msizzle's M6 made above 500whp with bolt-ons, mine did 487whp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what do you mean by bolt-ons. Msizzle's M6 made above 500whp with bolt-ons, mine did 487whp.
    Its a stock car...no exhaust, no headers no pulleys...basicly a software upgrade and open cone filters, add our headers and some exhaust parts and u will see some fun! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

*Bump*