Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up KL Racing FMIC (aka Big Tom) - Datalog Review

First off, this thread is about this particular intercooler option. It is sold by KL Racing in Sweden and not sold on eBay. Where it is built isn't known so, yes, it could be China but my latest MacBook Pro is built there as well and its the best laptop on the planet at the moment Click here to enlarge Please refrain from hateful posts such as those in this thread as they'll be politely ignored and let's concentrate on data.

Also, I will not compare to any other N54 option directly as that would insinuate fmic wars of all sorts. This data is to show the community that there's another option out there for their N54 FMIC and that it does the job just as well if not better in certain cases than a few other N54 FMICs, more expensive, than this one. I WILL not name them and please don't PM me about it LOL

Now that the mandatory disclaimer is out of the way let's dig in.

Installation is already covered in another thread here and yes, it involves CUTTINGGGGG lol if your car is under warranty/lease then this isn't an option for you unless you like explaining it to your service advisor at your fav dealer. See that thread for details on installation or one of Big Tom's great DIYs.

NOTE: If you'll be comparing these datalogs of IATs to other logs online or your own please take note of the following things:

1) Starting temps for the pulls were about 33F. Given that, if you see other logs but in different ambient conditions the results will most likely be different and not directly comparable down to a Fahrenheit (or Celsius).
    2) These are on RB turbos (so more air, but also a bit more efficient than stockers)
    3) These were done at 16psi down to 14psi. ALL OTHER FMIC datalogs posted that I have seen where IATs and FMIC IAT control have been discussed, especially those posted by vendors, were done on lower boost, mostly peak 12psi, so keep that in mind! (Less boost, less heat, lower/slower IAT rise)

I was thinking what would be the best way of doing this datalogging and I've decided to post a 2-3 pull, a 3-4 pull and a 2-3-4 pull and show IAT rise, as well as, show the IAT decline after doing a long 2-3-4 pull.

Now the logs, these are almost back to back pulls, all completed and datalogged within a couple mins total:

2-3 pull (33F start, 60F end = 27F rise):
    Click here to enlarge

1st 3-4 pull (33F start, 64F end = 31F rise):
    Click here to enlarge

2nd 3-4 pull (33F start, 64F end = 31F rise):
    Click here to enlarge

Long 2-3-4 pull (33F start, 75F end = 42F rise):
    Click here to enlarge

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 1st part:
    Click here to enlarge

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 2nd part:
    Click here to enlarge

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 3rd part (down to starting temp):
    Click here to enlarge

Total time to come down to starting temp: 30secs after a full 2-3-4 pull above.

Now, once you've had the time to go through the logs carefully don't hesitate on feedback but please read the disclaimer Click here to enlarge There was NO meth used here on any runs and I didn't cherry pick these logs in ANY way.

My feedback is as follows:

- There's no additional lag over a smaller core volume intercooler i used to run
    - IAT rise/suppression is very similar to some popular FMIC options out there in 50F temps, with those at "lower" boost levels.
    - IAT decay after a long pull drops amazingly fast. It comes down from 75F down to starting temp of 33F in less than 30secs, that's a really impressively fast 42F drop after doing a pull to me. This will no doubt be different in MUCH hotter conditions but by how much it remains to be seen.
    - Pressure drop didn't significantly change as seen from the logs. There is no added WGDC to hit the same boost targets. Logs of WGDC on my previous helix can also be posted but wgdc logs aren't really pretty to look at or analyze. I can post them if anyone feels it'd be worthwhile...

This intercooler costs $300 shipped from KL Racing in Sweden. You need to buy silicone couplers, reducers, joiners and clamps for it so plan another $80 for that from siliconeintakes.com, total if you DIY is $380. IMHO, this FMIC does the job well and is definitely a huge upgrade from the stock FMIC. It does require cutting so its not for everyone. I'm off warranty and am keeping this car and I have no reason to worry about cutting some plastic behind the bumper to fit it Click here to enlarge This is NOT the CX Racing FMIC, that one is thinner (3.5") and its inlet/outlet are smaller (2.5"). KL Racing FMIC has 3" inlet/outlet and is 4" deep.

Big Tom, thanks for this great find. I'm really happy with it! Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 01-16-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking good, thanks for sharing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Finally a proper review of the notorious Chinese intercooler! Great job man! Click here to enlarge

This will hopefully quiet some of the haters/crying vendors out there...
    In my world there shouldn't be that much to argue about now.

This makes me laugh about the intercooler design discussion in the Advanced Tech Section... Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great test man! definetely a great intercooler for the money!
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Already I it said friend this fmic it him was going to do very happily, try to put the knob m3 and side a major improvement in the air inlet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Finally a proper review of the notorious Chinese intercooler! Great job man! Click here to enlarge

This will hopefully quiet some of the haters/crying vendors out there...
    In my world there shouldn't be that much to argue about now.

This makes me laugh about the intercooler design discussion in the Advanced Tech Section... Click here to enlarge
    It just goes to show if it's cheaper it doesn't mean it doesn't work well...I did enjoy the intercooler design discussion very much though minus the senseless bashing...

Who's man enough to post this over on e90post? Lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    It just goes to show if it's cheaper it doesn't mean it doesn't work well...I did enjoy the intercooler design discussion very much though minus the senseless bashing...

Who's man enough to post this over on e90post? Lol
    Do it! Or did Jason already get his feelings hurt by the Vendors?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Do it! Or did Jason already get his feelings hurt by the Vendors?
    I'm banned there until Feb 2nd so i can't and Big Tom's been accused of "selling his product" and also temp banned lol so we'll need a new brave soul who can't be accused of marketing "their" product...what a load of nonsense
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I'm banned there until Feb 2nd so i can't and Big Tom's been accused of "selling his product" and also temp banned lol so we'll need a new brave soul who can't be accused of marketing "their" product...what a load of nonsense
    Yeah, I've already had a perma-ban and couldn't view any 1M stuff, so I had to make the name "fundahl". (Old nick name)

The place is a joke sometimes. To bad it's the most popular BMW forum, or is it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I've already had a perma-ban and couldn't view any 1M stuff, so I had to make the name "fundahl". (Old nick name)

The place is a joke sometimes. To bad it's the most popular BMW forum, or is it?
    its definitely got the most traffic but in terms of participation i know my vote will only go where i can speak my mind freely and at the moment bimmerboost is one of them, e90post isn't and likely never will be...

things do change though and i'm starting to like the "germanboost" idea...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'll post it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    I'll post it up.
    cool Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the data logs Click here to enlarge Looks like this is an excellent bang for the buck option. I've got a couple Q's :

Was 33F the outside ambient air temp? I'm a little confused by the statement "IAT rise/suppression is very similar to some popular FMIC options out there in 50F temps, with those at "lower" boost levels.", do you mean the others are run at an ambient of 50F? Any logs of stock or other intercoolers in same/similar conditions on the same car?
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the data logs Click here to enlarge Looks like this is an excellent bang for the buck option. I've got a couple Q's :

Was 33F the outside ambient air temp? I'm a little confused by the statement "IAT rise/suppression is very similar to some popular FMIC options out there in 50F temps, with those at "lower" boost levels.", do you mean the others are run at an ambient of 50F? Any logs of stock or other intercoolers in same/similar conditions on the same car?
    Outside temp was a bit lower, around 20-25F...IAT will always hover a little higher than ambient once the car is fully warmed up..

that comment on others is just what i've seen from some vendors and it was just meant to say that if you'll be comparing with others to keep in mind different temps...i won't post up logs of other FMICs as I really think that'd only insinuate FMIC wars and I leave those comparisons and finding those other graphs for others to do...there's quite a large number of IAT graphs out there but many don't cover 2-3-4 gear pulls and are mostly single gear pulls which have the least IAT rise
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice test overall but I think some people would pick it apart because of the lower weather temps for the test. Maybe test again in warmer weather if you can spare the time. The logs used here are pretty real world but for the cool down logs, was your car moving and at what speed (airflow over core)?

Looks like another nice option for IC. thanks for sharing your logs DZ!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Nice test overall but I think some people would pick it apart because of the lower weather temps for the test. Maybe test again in warmer weather if you can spare the time. The logs used here are pretty real world but for the cool down logs, was your car moving and at what speed (airflow over core)?

Looks like another nice option for IC. thanks for sharing your logs DZ!
    Whenever any data is presented I'm not and would not be surprised that its picked apart...after all its data, but at a high level just shows this is another nice option out there...i'll be running my car in hotter weather for sure so i'll naturally have more logs and will share them the same way as i'm also interested in seeing how it stacks up then...as for cooldown I just went by what i read out there from some other vendors...i kept the car on cruise in 6th gear for the 30 secs after the pull, didn't stop ... not many vendors or independent users actually posted this part of data up, think I saw just one so far..its just there to show what happens in real world in terms of heat soak...obviously things will change in hotter weather but others didn't hesitate providing logs in 50F temps so i thought why not...we'll also have hot weather data when it heats up...

thanks man!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that a lot of the useless tools of the BMW online forums find a home at e90post rather than here. If they do get more overall traffic and it's so much idiot noise should anyone of us really care? Sticky has a surprisingly civil technical forum that's so clean it almost seems as if it's invite only and brings in a good group of people.

Hopefully the day won't come anytime soon when sticky actually has to start handing out a lot of bans to keep the idiots away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully the day won't come anytime soon when sticky actually has to start handing out a lot of bans to keep the idiots away.
    The rep system works actually quite well to keep any trolling new members at bay...there have been a few that came in flying fists into the N54 section only to be neg repped out quickly due to their meaningless hostile posts...Sticky doesn't even need to ban them when other contributing well repped members can deal with it pretty well on their own...its great when a bit of moderation is also in the hands of contributors
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good job DZ. Did you take these datalogs this weekend when it was -15 outside? I'd like to see it in the summer heat. Unfortunately, thats 2 weeks in july lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Good job DZ. Did you take these datalogs this weekend when it was -15 outside? I'd like to see it in the summer heat. Unfortunately, thats 2 weeks in july lol.
    last night, it was actually about -5C (23F) out...ya, those 2 golden weeks in summer eh? and we don't get them every year lol

it'd be interesting to see some data from other independent user reviews too, and also in these sorts of temps, but i'd rather not have them in this thread for reasons in that disclaimer but your call...go datalog a a couple 2-3, 3-4, 2-3-4 pulls without meth and post them up Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have any data to compare to your Helix setup? I'd be cool to have both sets of data in the same thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have any data to compare to your Helix setup? I'd be cool to have both sets of data in the same thread.
    Personally I wouldn't like to do it in this thread honestly...if others, or yourself would like, you can post your FMIC logs here and compare but i personally want to stay away from that as i said it'd just serve to start nothing but wars and not really serve as a great discussion item given how things usually go on the forums when that approach is taken...this thread's sole purpose was to show this is another viable option that gets the job done well
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    d, kudos for going against the grain. It just goes to show, at the end of the day, data always speaks for itself! This is akin to name brand medicine compared to generics. If it does the same thing, who cares? Your car, just like your body, is brand name agnostic Click here to enlarge

Regards,
    Jose

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW, I had my new Big Tom Style FMIC and my old FMIC right next to each other and I can guarantee that they looked identical. The cores that is. Same fins and you can see just as easily through the "higher quality" core as you can with the new one. So in my book this is definitely a good option.

Don't want to turn this into a "vs" thread, but I figured I'd point out that you don't have to be that concerned about the quality.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Naw people have been maipulated to beleive that cause u have a BMW, ur parts are SUPPSOED to be 3X more expensive. Worked fine on my teg, I'm sure it'll be fine cross platform. Surface area FTW.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast