Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Bringing the E39 back into shape

What's up everybody? I've been a member of this forum for a while not but clearl and usually read threads daily but clearly I don't post much based on my post count. I'm at work right now, bored, and decided to contribute something. I have two BMW's. I have a 2000 528i and a 2011 M3. The 528i was my show car for a few years and took it to a lot of shows. I have neglected some maintenance on the car and for once I am finally in a position where I have my own house with my own two car garage to work on it. One of my room mates used to be a Volvo tech, that is until he decided to go to College for finance, but needless to say he is well equipped to work on European cars. I want to mirror my tool collection after his own to be honest. Click here to enlarge

At the moment this is what I'm working with. A few weeks ago before I decided to garage the car I hit a nasty dip in the road. It felt ugly, it sounded ugly, and my car felt pretty ugly afterwards. I assumed automatically that I broke a motor mount. I assumed this because when I turned my car off it would feel like the motor was shifting in the engine bay. I couldn't see any damage directly until I started tearing the car apart but I had that gut feeling that I definitely broke something.

I started working on the car when the new motor mounts came in. This past Sunday a few buddies of mine came over and we started tearing the car apart. We pulled the drivers side motor mount which looked to be in decent shape. However, when we got to the passenger side of the engine bay (particularly tough because of the exhaust manifold being in the way) we found the broken motor mount. Literally, the thing split in two at the top where it bolts to the engine support. On further investigation we also found that the motor support itself also broke. I later found out that this is a common issue on E39's with I6's, but it was still shocking to find that kind of damage.

I was expecting to have a broken strut, strut bearing, tie rod, control arm, or something related to the suspension. To think that a dip in the road would put enough stress on the engine's suspension to the point where it would snap absolutely boggles my mind.

Click here to enlarge

It was an extreme PITA to get this engine support out due to limited room. However, it's always easier to put a car back together than tear it apart (knock on wood). I'm just waiting for my new motor support to arrive so I can install it.

I also film and edit a lot of car stuff. So I have a video to go with this. We just try to have fun and of course make a little money on the side courtesy of Google.

BTW, we are immature as hell when we work on cars. Sexual innuendos are uncontrollable. It's all fun though.
    Last edited by gareth.foley; 01-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    nice, im sure this will help someone out there!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    nice, im sure this will help someone out there!
    Thanks man. I did some research and found out that the right motor support on I6 E39 models tend to break pretty commonly. It is definitely the beefier motor support but I have a feeling that it supports more weight and vibration since the block leans on that side. I'm still waiting on that motor support to get in but it should be here sometime next week. More videos and write ups on this way. I can't wait to get this car back together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gareth.foley Click here to enlarge
    I'm at work right now, bored, and decided to contribute something.
    I'm glad you decided to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome restoring something ancient is always fun no matter what the wanna be elitists say. Any boost plans for it, or just doing a full refresh of parts?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm glad you decided to.
    I'll probably be posting more often here. And I'll do updates on my E39. I'm kind of leaving my M3 alone right now until I pay it off.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome restoring something ancient is always fun no matter what the wanna be elitists say. Any boost plans for it, or just doing a full refresh of parts?
    In addition to having fun with this car I think it's worth noting that I've had this car since I was 17 and it is my first car. Right now I'm 24 so I've had a very long relationship with this car. It's crazy how a hunk of metal can hold such a significant personal value.

I digress however. At this moment I'm focusing on replacing parts that need to be replaced. I have a new set of wheels on the way and I'm considering going to coilovers sometime this spring/summer. I also need to replace the front bumper cover which someone was gracious enough to back into. I've always had the vision to turbo/supercharge the car but I would need to swap the automatic transmission for a manual. Perhaps that can be a future project that I can do.

I love this car though and I like driving it. So I think it's worth saving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yesterday was a good day. I finally received my new motor support which means some time this week I'll be putting the car back together (mostly). What is interesting is it looks like the new motor support is a revised design from what was originally on the car. It looks like there is slightly more material used in the part as opposed to what I pulled out of my car. Plus it's nice a shiny which is something I have always liked about new auto parts (too bad they don't stay like that for too long).

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

After work on Tuesday, I had a really rough day, I got home and decided to blow some steam by installing the new motor mounts and motor support. When i first started this I had some help from friends to get most of the car apart but I honestly wasn't in the mood to play around and didn't want to wait for help.

Surprisingly, it was much easier to put the car back together then it was to take apart. I can only assume it's because I knew how everything came out so it was basically the reverse order to put it back in. Anyways, it took me about 45 minutes to install the new motor support, motor mounts, and to secure the motor in place. Not bad for a one man operation. I also remounted the front wheels to get it down out of the air for the first time since New Years Eve.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I thought it was also worth mentioning that I decided to road test the car on Wednesday. Everything felt great, in fact it probably felt as solid as it ever has. About 1/8 of a mile from my house I had this happen.

Click here to enlarge

I drove home on the flat at a whopping 5 MPH and fortunately did not damage the wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I thought it was also worth mentioning that I decided to road test the car on Wednesday. Everything felt great, in fact it probably felt as solid as it ever has. About 1/8 of a mile from my house I had this happen.
    Just really bad luck Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just really bad luck Click here to enlarge
    Seem to have a lot of that lately with cars. Ugh, I hate them so much lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

UPDATE for 1/26/12:

I have a few things to announce. First and foremost, I was offered a sponsorship through FCP Groton here in Connecticut. They're local and they specialize in foreign car replacement parts. Their one area of speciality is BMW's. Basically, their partner program allows me to get free replacement parts and I make install videos in return. Honestly, I'm all about building knowledge in the community and I like the E39 platform so this is a win win for me and I know it's mutually rewarding for them as well.

I finished a majority of the front end of the car. I want to fix my power steering issues but that will likely be the last thing I spend time on diagnosing and fixing. At the moment I will be working on the rear end of the car. BMW E39 rearends use a wishbone setup. The first area that I wanted to address first was replacing the wishbones first.

Click here to enlarge
    Picture courtesy of Real OEM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

First and foremost, I was offered a sponsorship through FCP Groton here in Connecticut. They're local and they specialize in foreign car replacement parts. Their one area of speciality is BMW's. Basically, their partner program allows me to get free replacement parts and I make install videos in return. Honestly, I'm all about building knowledge in the community and I like the E39 platform so this is a win win for me and I know it's mutually rewarding for them as well.
    Congrats! I haven't heard of FCP Groton but this is a major win for you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Congrats! I haven't heard of FCP Groton but this is a major win for you!
    Unfortunately, I live on the complete polar opposite end of the country and that is most likely why you have never heard of them. While many people are into cars here on the east coast it doesn't feel like the car culture is as intense as it is on the west coast. I spent a few days in LA a couple of years ago and all I saw were sick cars everywhere. FCP approached me about the program they offer and free replacement parts in exchange for install videos is something I am more than willing to do. I've done business with them in the past and trust what they supply and sell.

In addition, not having to put the finances aside for parts allows me to spend money on other things in the meantime. Plus, doing the wrenchtime on your own car is always a fun way to learn more about it. I've pissed away a lot of money in the past paying other people to do my dirty work. From now on I'm going to do as much as I can on my own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Unfortunately, I live on the complete polar opposite end of the country and that is most likely why you have never heard of them. While many people are into cars here on the east coast it doesn't feel like the car culture is as intense as it is on the west coast. I spent a few days in LA a couple of years ago and all I saw were sick cars everywhere. FCP approached me about the program they offer and free replacement parts in exchange for install videos is something I am more than willing to do. I've done business with them in the past and trust what they supply and sell.

In addition, not having to put the finances aside for parts allows me to spend money on other things in the meantime. Plus, doing the wrenchtime on your own car is always a fun way to learn more about it. I've pissed away a lot of money in the past paying other people to do my dirty work. From now on I'm going to do as much as I can on my own.
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from.

It often does feel like in LA everyone has a sick car. An M3 seems normal, who doesn't have one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I absolutely understand where you are coming from.

It often does feel like in LA everyone has a sick car. An M3 seems normal, who doesn't have one?
    When I first brought my 2011 M3 to a local show some of the people were super excited to see one. E46's are pretty common as well as E36's in my area but it's rare to see an E92/E90 M3. Literally, I've come across a grand total of 5 in the last year and a half of ownership.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Update: 2/8/12

FCP sent me some more goodies and I have finally replaced two of my major wear and tear items on the rear suspension on my E39. The rear control arm guide links seem to take a majority of the beating and I was shocked to see how bad of condition the ball joints were in. It explains why I could never maintain proper wheel alignment.

Anyways, as always I have a video of the install. This one was surprisingly difficult and I think it's only because of the room to work with combined with hiccups along the way. At the end of the day all went well and my E39 is started to shape up.

At the moment I'm waiting for my new wheels to arrive along with my new tires. Once I have those I can pretty much drive the car again as I sort out other things that need work. At the moment I'm rocking a 1996 Honda Civic DX 5 speed and the gas mileage is amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

At the moment I'm rocking a 1996 Honda Civic DX 5 speed and the gas mileage is amazing.
    96 Civic? That has to hurt...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

96 Civic? That has to hurt...
    In some ways it sucks. But to be honest this car is so covert and I never have to worry about people wanting to race me at lights. In that respect it's nice plus the maintenance is straight forward too. Also, I could care less if someone hits it in a parking lot.

In regards to the E39 I'm still waiting on my new wheels to show up. The wait is killing me and I'll soon redo the power steering system as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I finally got around to doing the power steering overhaul on my E39. Overall it was a mess but I got the job done with the help from one of my friends. It should resolve the leak I've been dealing with for awhile now and I was also surprised to see how badly contaminated the powr steering fluis was as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My new wheels should also be arriving on my doorstep this afternoon. I plan on getting the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow as well. Things are starting to come together nicely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

My new wheels should also be arriving on my doorstep this afternoon. I plan on getting the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow as well. Things are starting to come together nicely.
    What wheels did you get?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What wheels did you get?
    I ordered a set of VarrsToen's. For the money and fitment I could never argue with the price. I also had a good experience with Navith in regards to customer service. Definitely very happy with them so far and a lot of people who have seen them in person thought I had spent well over $2000 for the set.

Fresh out of the box:

Mounting:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I ordered a set of VarrsToen's. For the money and fitment I could never argue with the price. I also had a good experience with Navith in regards to customer service. Definitely very happy with them so far and a lot of people who have seen them in person thought I had spent well over $2000 for the set.

Fresh out of the box:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCRo1krWgIs

Mounting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8iBbgzhI0M

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Those look good, remind me of an HRE C90 but for far less money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't posted in awhile but a lot of things have been going on. I've decided on a few things. One, I'm now seriously considering boosting this car now. How am I going to do it is the real question but the idea is getting more attractive to me the more I think about it. I'm also considering a manual swap which I know will be a massive pain in the ass. Now, the real question is why do I want to spend money taking a slow 528i and boosting it when I have an M3 in the garage? Simple, I don't own my M3 yet and it's still under warranty. Anyways, I did install coilovers finally from BC Racing and I have to be honest the ride is way better than my Bilstein sport/H&R combo I had been running...plus I have the lows. Also threw my old busted front bumper on as well...soon to be replaced. I am broke as $#@! right now lol.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast