Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

My stock turbos ARE likely dying!

dropped the downpipes and looked at the turbos for a secret sauce project. Click here to enlarge

The rear turbo compressor outlet which connects to a black plastic pipe from the intake I believe was leaking oil. Could this explain why my turbos sound like absolute dog poop and why I blow blue smoke after numerous hard runs? Performance-wise, car runs strong as far as I can tell. Once both the front and rear turbos come off, I'll take pictures of the compressor. Only the rear turbo came off as of today.

I didn't notice anything evident that would indicate that my car's weaker than normal though. Being that I trapped 118 MPH (117.97 MPH to be exact) at Atco and 118.9 MPH on the VBOX on flat ground should be on par with a full weight FBO + meth 335i 6AT no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    car's doing fine Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    car's doing fine Click here to enlarge
    It will be more than fine soon enough Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That must be an awful feeling. Are you upgrading the turbos? How is the AT holding up? Best of luck.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS - 6k miles is way too long in between oil changes. My oil was BLACK when I was draining it before the removal. Either the dealer "forgot" to give me an oil change or I beat the piss out of my car. I'm guessing the latter!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    That must be an awful feeling. Are you upgrading the turbos? How is the AT holding up? Best of luck.
    Actually it was a great feeling knowing that I found the issue! Right now, I'm testing a new turbo product likely being announced when I provide dyno results (before and after) which won't be anywhere near RB turbo gains, but should be worth SOMETHING. My 6AT appears to be healthy for now. No apparent transmission issues, still shifts smoothly and quickly. Car overall is healthy aside from this oil leak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Actually it was a great feeling knowing that I found the issue! Right now, I'm testing a new turbo product likely being announced when I provide dyno results (before and after) which won't be anywhere near RB turbo gains, but should be worth SOMETHING. My 6AT appears to be healthy for now. No apparent transmission issues, still shifts smoothly and quickly. Car overall is healthy aside from this oil leak.
    Thats great! I cant wait to see what you have in the works. When will we hear more?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the turbo product?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    interested to see what your secret sauce is. I saw your post on e90 that you did a dyno on the cobb race map. Care to share the dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Helix I would believe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How many miles on the car and when did you first put the mods on? Would be great to know the longevity of the turbos under mods Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The rear turbo compressor outlet which connects to a black plastic pipe from the intake I believe was leaking oil.
    Did it look like this?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS - 6k miles is way too long in between oil changes. My oil was BLACK when I was draining it before the removal. Either the dealer "forgot" to give me an oil change or I beat the piss out of my car. I'm guessing the latter!
    With the boost your running oil should be changed sooner.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Engine oil will turn BLACK very fast on these cars and that's not the reason to think its not doing its job...if in doubt take a sample and send it over to Blackstone Labs Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mattsfeir Click here to enlarge
    Did it look like this?

Click here to enlarge
    actually, it wasn't as bad as that, just a little oil accumulation, just enough to take notice. I have 30k miles on my car though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Engine oil will turn BLACK very fast on these cars and that's not the reason to think its not doing its job...if in doubt take a sample and send it over to Blackstone Labs Click here to enlarge
    Turning dark is one thing. But black I would never let that happen!
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I am concerned about was the fact when the turbos came off, we saw oil around the cylinder head outlet on #4 and #6. The other four cylinders were spotless. My friend thinks I should do a compression check on all cylinders, but then again, when I asked a second opinion from others, they said its perfectly normal.

IMO, any N54 owner should proactively check this area of their car around 50k miles in. I agree with Terry@BMS when he says, these cars dont age well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    interested to see what your secret sauce is. I saw your post on e90 that you did a dyno on the cobb race map. Care to share the dyno?
    I didn't post it on e90post for a reason. Too many idiots will troll saying "oh cobb is slow" after seeing the numbers, but in reality, the delta from stock boost + FBO to cobb race map is 129whp, perfectly normal delta for the difference, and identical to the 295/424 I did on my 6MT 135i on a higher reading Dynojet.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    How many miles on the car and when did you first put the mods on? Would be great to know the longevity of the turbos under mods Click here to enlarge
    I have 30k miles on the car, it's been tuned for around 18k. Turns out, my turbos are healthy, I just had an oil leak on the compressor outlet of the rear turbo, but based on a pic mattsfeir posted, it appears to be normal. Maybe I just beat the piss out of my car and it burned oil and it's perfectly normal? There are no evident signs that my car was ever running bad to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is the turbo product?
    The info will be out later this week but here's a hint: they're a supporting vendor of your site. Click here to enlarge No, they are not EPL or Helix turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I am concerned about was the fact when the turbos came off, we saw oil around the cylinder head outlet on #4 and #6. The other four cylinders were spotless. My friend thinks I should do a compression check on all cylinders, but then again, when I asked a second opinion from others, they said its perfectly normal.

IMO, any N54 owner should proactively check this area of their car around 50k miles in. I agree with Terry@BMS when he says, these cars dont age well.
    When did he say that?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Curious to see how this vendors turbos come out. He was the first running single turbo now that I.think about it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    When did he say that?
    e-mail correspondence between me and him Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The info will be out later this week but here's a hint: they're a supporting vendor of your site. Click here to enlarge No, they are not EPL or Helix turbos.
    Hmmm, I still have no idea what the product is. Glad to hear it is a vendor here though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Curious to see how this vendors turbos come out. He was the first running single turbo now that I.think about it Click here to enlarge
    LOL that hint is a wee bit too obvious if you've been around this platform for over two years Click here to enlarge

The turbo install is time-consuming, but not difficult once you have a little guidance. Subframe had to completely come out. I may be seeing you for an alignment in the next few days if any bolts went out of whack. I hope not though, we took real care around the suspension parts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast