Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    What do you need to know? Crank & rods are forged, pistons are cast. VAC confirmed this a long time ago. In addition to the rotating bits, some minor headwork & valves have shown to be an improvement.
    Yeah, I knew what the internals were made of, but not what they were ever tested to handle, and to what extent headwork and valves would improve. I take it tests did happen? What were the results?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    As long as the tuning is solid and you're not trying to push into unknown territory you're fine. After seeing a piston/rod combo and talking with Jake I feel like the ringlands will be the first casualty in the horsepower war.
    Is a 67mm turbo unkown territory? lol yeah I plan on pushing things a bit once the trans is taken care of. so hopefully 8-10 weeks. I also eventually plan on getting the fueling system figured out so that I can run full e85 as my daily fuel.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Is a 67mm turbo unkown territory? lol yeah I plan on pushing things a bit once the trans is taken care of. so hopefully 8-10 weeks. I also eventually plan on getting the fueling system figured out so that I can run full e85 as my daily fuel.
    Just a wild guess here but i have a feeling that 800whp will be the mark where we start seeing failures. A good 67mm will get you to 700whp and Tony and shiv have both pushed past that mark.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Just a wild guess here but i have a feeling that 800whp will be the mark where we start seeing failures. A good 67mm will get you to 700whp and Tony and shiv have both pushed past that mark.
    Yeah, I have a feeling 800whp is also the mark. 700-750 whp will probably be the limits of the stock motor with decent reliability.

On the turbo front, a good 67mm turbo will laugh at 700whp. Here's the turbo I'm using...750whp will be easily achieved with only medium boost. Once the motor gets built things will get interesting.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=Turbo-FP

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    What do you need to know? Crank & rods are forged, pistons are cast. VAC confirmed this a long time ago. In addition to the rotating bits, some minor headwork & valves have shown to be an improvement.
    Pistons are hypereutetic, rods are cast cracked i thought?

forged rods? Wheres that info available? If they were forged i wouldnt bother replacing haha

would like to see an n54 with hta 9180 - big daddy of 67mm's :p
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @alex@ABRhouston sorry to mentin you yet again, but any input here?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Pistons are hypereutetic, rods are cast cracked i thought?

forged rods? Wheres that info available? If they were forged i wouldnt bother replacing haha

would like to see an n54 with hta 9180 - big daddy of 67mm's :p
    9180? Not familiar with that one. As far as I know the Super 94 is the largest on the market, being just slightly larger than the 3794r, a little bit more lag and little bit more power, but I didn't see it being worth going to anything larger.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    9180? Not familiar with that one. As far as I know the Super 94 is the largest on the market, being just slightly larger than the 3794r, a little bit more lag and little bit more power, but I didn't see it being worth going to anything larger.
    whoops, EFR9180, getting my 3 character names confused.. my bad!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    whoops, EFR9180, getting my 3 character names confused.. my bad!
    Yeah, that's a little different turbo, 91mm exducer on compressor wheel, as opposed to 94mm on the FP HTA3794r or Super 94. The Super 94 is essentially the 3794r with a larger turbine and generally larger housings would be used to achieve the 1000whp level. The Borg Warner looks nice too, but for our cars would probably spool WAY too slow, not really sure which one would make more power, would just depend on housings, but both are awesome turbos no doubt about it. I feel the 3794r may be the largest possible with still keeping the car streetable. We'll find out in a couple weeks...lol.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, that's a little different turbo, 91mm exducer on compressor wheel, as opposed to 94mm on the FP HTA3794r or Super 94. The Super 94 is essentially the 3794r with a larger turbine and generally larger housings would be used to achieve the 1000whp level. The Borg Warner looks nice too, but for our cars would probably spool WAY too slow, not really sure which one would make more power, would just depend on housings, but both are awesome turbos no doubt about it. I feel the 3794r may be the largest possible with still keeping the car streetable. We'll find out in a couple weeks...lol.
    hopefully both get fit for comparison Click here to enlarge.. the EFR is supposed to be the best spooling 67mm turbo available (smaller housing, MAXED out at 1000hp or so)... SUPPOSED to be, all the RB26/2JZ guys seem to say so at least lol.. plus, i'd like to see someone fit a GT/GTX42 Click here to enlarge

plus, the EFR may be too long to fit in our teeny engine bays

once i've spent all my money getting my engine IN, then i'll look at what turbo to fit.. and by then, many will have been trialled haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EFR would probably outspool all turbos on the market right now. As you stated above, the fitment is the biggest issue. That HTA37r is gonna rock the n54.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I knew what the internals were made of, but not what they were ever tested to handle, and to what extent headwork and valves would improve. I take it tests did happen? What were the results?
    Don't think any of the OEM internals have been stress tested, which is why I'm interested to see the longevity of the 700 WHP cars (single & TT setups). I would hope that anyone running that kind of power is regularly checking the compression and looking for early warning signs of internal failure. Obviously buying forged parts you're buying to a specific spec... If you wanan make an unscientific comparison, Dzenno's car with RBs + Meth put down ~555 WHP, so that's ~50 WHP gain with headwork over an untouched motor with RBs + Meth.

I'm sure if you contacted VAC about their N54 heads, they could give you something more scientific (flow bench numbers, etc).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123