Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Looks like you need to pull the injector off cylinder 1 and see if it's the good part number. Hopefully that's the problem otherwise burn that car to the ground. Click here to enlarge
    Haha! Yeah. I need to look at the part numbers. I already looked into some DIYs of replacing the N54 fuel injectors. Is there a way to remove the injectors without the use of a slide hammer?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Well cylinder 1 is the one facing the front of the car, which you got. However some cars base cylinder off firing order which is 1-5-3-6-2-4, however being that 1 is giving you trouble, that doesnt matter either.

Rag, empty deserted industrial park, match, BEGIN

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    With misfire detection off, car runs even worse! It takes a lot less to get it to misfire...
    Not the same issue as mine then and you should be glad! Click here to enlarge

What happens when you turn off misfire detection? I've always actually wondered what actually happens when its an actual misfire happening and you turn off misfire detection? How does it play out?

As you probably know on my car once misfire detection was turned off the car ran like a champ again, setting a bunch of records and running like a beast, pointing to an electrical issue somewhere more than an actual mechanical issue...not that this is a solution for it but that's what I'm stuck with basically as there was nothing else to try other than change the DME to MSD81 or open up the motor and "hope" to find something wrong there...not really happening in my books if I can just flick a switch and have the car running without a single issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Rag, empty deserted industrial park, match, BEGIN
    lol i've contemplated that MANY times on my car too, but that's so last year Click here to enlarge

What do you mean by some cars base cylinder off firing order?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Not the same issue as mine then and you should be glad! Click here to enlarge

What happens when you turn off misfire detection? I've always actually wondered what actually happens when its an actual misfire happening and you turn off misfire detection? How does it play out?
    Hope so. I'll look into the injector part numbers in the next day or so when the temps go above freezing.

As for the misfire detection: I'd assume that this will prevent the ECU from cutting back timing and limping since it is "blind" to misfires... In my case, the ECU could not throw CEL no matter how hard it misfired. Pretty much with the misfire detection off map, the engine felt and sounded like an erratic machine gun fire: lots of shaking and rumbles but no CEL.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Hope so. I'll look into the injector part numbers in the next day or so when the temps go above freezing.

As for the misfire detection: I'd assume that this will prevent the ECU from cutting back timing and limping since it is "blind" to misfires... In my case, the ECU could not throw CEL no matter how hard it misfired. Pretty much with the misfire detection off map, the engine felt and sounded like an erratic machine gun fire: lots of shaking and rumbles but no CEL.
    That's great to know because in my case the engine doesn't exhibit ANY issues with misfire detection turned off...it runs like a champ...with misfire detection ON it basically cuts my fuel out sometimes up top above 6000rpm...i could never pinpoint if it was this fuel cut that would trigger the misfire OR if it was the misfire that triggered the fuel cut...it could've been either or...the engine will cut fuel to that "cylinder" if the cylinder truly misfires BUT this wasn't a fuel cut to the "cylinder", it was fuel mode=15 which is "fuel system" shutdown, basically a global fuel cut...ever since turning off misfire detection I've done countless pulls, drag strip runs, dyno runs, 60-130s, you name it and not a single hiccup...i'd never run the car like this if i ever felt even a slightest hesitation from the car...turning off misfire detection was done out of desperation in solving the issue obviously but I'm glad it turned out the way it did and not the way it behaves on your car...having said that, your issue may be easier to track down as it doesn't go away after turning off misfire detection and the car "truly" misfires

That is actually one thing I was trying to tell everyone when I first had it turned off...i tried to make them realize the car would still misfire IF i had a misfire happening no matter if misfire detection was turned on or off...anyways, hope you get it sorted...i'd definitely look into those injectors first

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    lol i've contemplated that MANY times on my car too, but that's so last year Click here to enlarge

What do you mean by some cars base cylinder off firing order?
    In some car cylinders are not numbered from left to right or front to back but instead they are numbered by their firing order.
    So say you are dealing with a 4 cylinder fwd car. Looking at the engine from left to right you would think 1 2 3 4, but it could be 1 3 4 2 as that might be the firing order of the cylinders. So what you think is cylinder 2 could actually be cylinder 3 ect ect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

In some car cylinders are not numbered from left to right or front to back but instead they are numbered by their firing order.
    So say you are dealing with a 4 cylinder fwd car. Looking at the engine from left to right you would think 1 2 3 4, but it could be 1 3 4 2 as that might be the firing order of the cylinders. So what you think is cylinder 2 could actually be cylinder 3 ect ect.
    Very good point indeed! I've seen this with the older VW 8V engines. However, I am having issues with cyl1 which is the one closest to the radiator (front most).
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Can that really be the case though here? This'd be the first time I hear about it on a bmw inline 6..it does get me wondering though...imagine all this time I had issues with cylinder 2 actually (according to firing order) instead of 5 lol time to look into cylinder 2 more closely i guess...i'd be surprised that was the case though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Well no6 is the one all the way back, thats the injector i replaced.

@vasillalov On the slide hammer question, I had one home, but the injector came out easy. And no.1 is in the front so you would have plenty of room. I guess you can rip it out with your hands if you are lucky.

If you are using to much force you are doing it wrong (imo)!
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

xbox_fan,

Thanks a lot. I give it a try in a day or so. I'll take some pics. I may be able to make my own pulling device...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

This is from my Bentley manual, shows cyl no. and firing order!
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

xbox_fan,

It was your DIY I was referring to. Nicely done! Thank you! Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

dzenno did you ever try turning the misfire detection back on to see if you still get it since the rear turbo fix? Don't want to throw out blind theories, but maybe worth a look just to see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Ya still there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

WTF is wrong with this forum software. It is constantly giving me errors about me posting links or that I am trying to make a post too frequently. Sticky, if you are reading this, the forum software is breaking under Firefox and Chrome browsers in Linux. I can send you screenshots if you want.
    Go ahead, send me screenshots.

You couldn't post links because your rep points were too low not because the software was breaking. Working exactly as intended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12