Close

Thread: Vipec releases plug and play E36 ECU for M50 based motors - Supports basically every USA BMW 6 cylinder from 1991-1996

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Vipec releases plug and play E36 ECU for M50 based motors - Supports basically every USA BMW 6 cylinder from 1991-1996

Good news for the E36 crowd, Vipec has released their V88 plug-n-play ECU for M50 based motors including the 1995 E36 M3 S50. This box controls 100% of the stock motor functions and has an internal ignition amplifier. Want to do a turbo? No problem, it has a built in MAP sensor. Extra inputs mean the ECU can control turbo wastegates, nitrous, water/meth injection, etc. Anti-lag and launch control are built in features. At a price point of $1850 this standalone is an exceptional value. BimmerBoost vendor Apex Speed Technology carries it, click here to order or check out their site for more info.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Awesome. Maybe change the picture though as that's a standard V88 and I don't have a picture of this box yet. I'd rather just have the logo.

Thanks!

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

does this support a flex fuel sensor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Awesome. Maybe change the picture though as that's a standard V88 and I don't have a picture of this box yet. I'd rather just have the logo.

Thanks!

-Neel
    I just went by what was on the order page, what photo would you like me to use?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Awesome. This is so cool. No more worrying about "where will I find these when they all get used up"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

does this support a flex fuel sensor?
    Yep. And the Vi-PEC's flex fuel capabilities are pretty strong. The picture is of a V88; I'll have the proper pictures by Jan 10th. -Neel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

that's cool about the flex fuel support. What makes it particularly strong vs a factory gm dme in that realm?

how hard would it be to wire this up to work with, say ms41 (96-99 e36)?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

that's cool about the flex fuel support. What makes it particularly strong vs a factory gm dme in that realm?
    Why would you use a factory GM DME in a BMW? Compared to any factory ECU, now you have fully control over spark advance, fuel injection, boost control and even VANOS with respect to ethanol content. You can define a wide variety of failsafes and other criteria.
    how hard would it be to wire this up to work with, say ms41 (96-99 e36)?
    This is a PLUG & PLAY ECU for the M50TUB25 ECUs. I don't know off the top of my head what the connectors or pinouts are for the 96-99 E36. There is no wiring involved for the earlier motors unless you want to add functions such as boost control or extra sensors. It can work with other motors that use the same ECU and similar pinout, such as the standard MS50 and the S50 US motor. For anything that does not have the Bosch 88-way AMP connector, you want to be looking into the Vi-PEC V88 ECU, which is a wire-in. It comes with a flylead harness and the difficulty of wiring it is completely a function of your knowledge and skill with BMW wiring harnesses. For us to build an adapter is about a 10 hour job. -Neel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Why would you use a factory GM DME in a BMW?
    I wouldn't, but i wanted to know how it was particularly 'strong' in comparison to a factory dme that offers flex fuel capability. Certainly boost is among functions that the GM dme cannot control on, for example, a vortec v8 motor; which can otherwise also control cam position- though I don't know if it can based on the flex fuel output as the vi-pec can.

This is a PLUG & PLAY ECU for the M50TUB25 ECUs. I don't know off the top of my head what the connectors or pinouts are for the 96-99 E36. There is no wiring involved for the earlier motors unless you want to add functions such as boost control or extra sensors. It can work with other motors that use the same ECU and similar pinout, such as the standard MS50 and the S50 US motor. For anything that does not have the Bosch 88-way AMP connector, you want to be looking into the Vi-PEC V88 ECU, which is a wire-in. It comes with a flylead harness and the difficulty of wiring it is completely a function of your knowledge and skill with BMW wiring harnesses. For us to build an adapter is about a 10 hour job. -Neel
    Thanks for the info, Neel. I see that it can also deal with dual vanos Click here to enlarge

and...

Closed loop wideband at WOT - win

how much is the v88 with a flylead harness and all the sensors necessary?

would it be able to control a meth nozzle as a completely independent injector, unassociated with the main 6 injector maps?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Closed loop wideband at WOT - win
    Closed loop wideband at part throttle & idle too, if you so choose.

how much is the v88 with a flylead harness and all the sensors necessary?
    The V88 with flylead retails in the less than $2200, it can use most sensors stock sensors. Contact us directly for pricing for your vehicle.

would it be able to control a meth nozzle as a completely independent injector, unassociated with the main 6 injector maps?
    Absolutely.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    Julio,

Not just the injection....but also it can trim the main fuel map and adjust timing based on the duty cycle of the meth. You could literally replace Gasoline with meth and keep the correct mixture....or simply add it on top. I figured some ways of doing 6D mapping with this that really made my head spin.....

I'm giving a lot away here, but I had a number of discussions about using the V88 to directly control a solenoid with normal fuel injector outputs. Seems they were built to handle upwards of 10amps....you know what I was looking at right?

Anyway...hugely capable ECU family, with software that I find easy to use, and Neel's support is legendary.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010