Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

325 / M54B25 Factory Fuel Limitations

Hi Guys,

New to the forums here so go easy Click here to enlarge

Looking to turbo an M54B25 for the first time, but finding it incredibly difficult to get any information on the factory fuel system. I'll be aiming for around 300-350hp at the wheels on 98ron.

Can someone provide me with information on the factory injectors and pump flow. and what the best upgrade path is to go for projected horsepower? Specifically model of injectors etc.

Was most likely going to run 1-2 bosch 044 external to tank for fuel supply.

Thanks for any advice.
    Oh, and while i'm on it, does anyone know how far you can push the internals in the M54 before they need upgrading? (specifically con-rods, pistons & cams)

Cheers Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Moving this to the M54 section.

@PEI330Ci should have an answer for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RIOT1 Click here to enlarge
    Hi Guys,

New to the forums here so go easy Click here to enlarge

Looking to turbo an M54B25 for the first time, but finding it incredibly difficult to get any information on the factory fuel system. I'll be aiming for around 300-350hp at the wheels on 98ron.

Can someone provide me with information on the factory injectors and pump flow. and what the best upgrade path is to go for projected horsepower? Specifically model of injectors etc.

Was most likely going to run 1-2 bosch 044 external to tank for fuel supply.

Thanks for any advice.
    Oh, and while i'm on it, does anyone know how far you can push the internals in the M54 before they need upgrading? (specifically con-rods, pistons & cams)

Cheers Click here to enlarge
    Stock injectors are probably 19lb/hr, you'll need something in the 36lb/hr area for the power you want.

Fuel lines are fine, as is the fuel filter / regulator, and factory fuel pump. I would honestly stick with those parts at this power level, simply replacing the OEM fuel pump with another if it failed.

Have you looked at this yet:

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html

Y
    ou'd get really close to your goals running a TT kit; they have done one for a 325 but it's not listed on the site yet. I think the kit made 280rwhp on a Mustang Dyno @ 8.5 PSI.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Stock injectors are probably 19lb/hr, you'll need something in the 36lb/hr area for the power you want.
    Hey thanks for the reply!

Ok so good news with the factory fuel pump. You suggested at least 36lbh injectors, which by my calculations should be about 400cc per injector? (Sorry Im only good with metric :S )
    Can you recommend any 440cc injectors specifically by brand / model? Bosch? Siemens ?

That kit looks pretty damn close to what I had in mind, but I will be sourcing local parts as I live in Australia (hence the injector question)

Still no word on those internals? Click here to enlarge

Thanks again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Hey thanks for the reply!

Ok so good news with the factory fuel pump. You suggested at least 36lbh injectors, which by my calculations should be about 400cc per injector? (Sorry Im only good with metric :S )
    Can you recommend any 440cc injectors specifically by brand / model? Bosch? Siemens ?

That kit looks pretty damn close to what I had in mind, but I will be sourcing local parts as I live in Australia (hence the injector question)

Still no word on those internals? Click here to enlarge

Thanks again!
    The injectors are included in the kit.

The hardware isn't going to matter though unless you have a tuning solution. Lots of people say they can tune an M54 for a turbo on the stock DME....or with a Piggyback, but in 10 years there is only 1 company that has made this work: Technique Tuning.

Every person that I've seen piece together a "custom" kit, either with a turbo or a SC for an M54, has ended up spending well over double what the TT kit costs at the end of the project.

So there's the easy way: TT kit

And there's the 1 year project way: Custom kit with stand alone engine management

For internals, they will handle 300rwhp at stock rev limits. Once you decide to spin the engine over 7000 RPM you'll need to look at a number of parts inside the engine to keep it alive. Really, I would stay away from opening up the M54 unless you have $7-20K USD to burn. Here's some pricing to illustrate the point:

Pistons: $1,000
    Rods: $1,800
    Cams: $1200-1700
    Head Porting: $2,000-3,000
    Valves/Springs/hardware: $1,600-2000 (I've got a high end spring package alone that was $1600)
    Fasteners/Bearings/Gaskets/Seals: $1,000-1,500
    Engine machining and bottom end assembly: $1,000 - 2,000

Now that's all in USD, and it doesn't include shipping/duties....or that actual removal and re-installation of the engine. The engine machining and assembly is just for the rod/piston installation....you'll still have to assemble the rest of the engine which requires special tools and about 2 more working days of time.

For all the hassle, you might as well just get a 330 crank and intake, and make it a 3.0 engine...all the above will be the same and there's a nice bump in power.

The pricing above is just a starting point. There are lots of "options" that can substantially add to the price of a performance engine build. For example if you wanted to run a 330 crank, I'd recommend a special oil pump and custom ATI harmonic damper so the engine will live. (Add another $1,500 to the price for those 2 items)

There's no cheap way to go about this if you want to open up the engine....but if you want to shelve your ego and drive your car with a turbo kit on it in January, contact Technique Tuning.

BTW....I don't work for TT, or have an affiliation with them aside from being the owner of a 2nd hand kit made by them. I could easily afford "custom", but went with "easy" and was really happy with that decision.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply PIE330CI,

Not to sound stubborn or egotistical, but I will be doing the kit myself for a few reasons which we don't need to get into. Shipping a kit from the US just does not interest me no matter how good it is.

So again, if you could give any advice on injectors by make / model that would be greatly appreciated. Saying they are "included" in the kit is not going to help me i'm afraid!!

Good news with the internals, I have no intention of pulling the motor a part.

Cheers !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply PIE330CI,

Not to sound stubborn or egotistical, but I will be doing the kit myself for a few reasons which we don't need to get into. Shipping a kit from the US just does not interest me no matter how good it is.

So again, if you could give any advice on injectors by make / model that would be greatly appreciated. Saying they are "included" in the kit is not going to help me i'm afraid!!

Good news with the internals, I have no intention of pulling the motor a part.

Cheers !!
    From experience doing this dance a number of times, you need to find a local vendor you can work with on this project to get advice and purchase parts from. By local, I mean obviously in Aus.

A good resource whom has done this in Australia is 02PRUV on E46Fanatics. I suggest shooting him a PM or email.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome thanks for the tip!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    A good resource whom has done this in Australia is 02PRUV on E46Fanatics. I suggest shooting him a PM or email.
    Also getting him to chime in here would be good...