Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Unhappy So I think my car's f*cked up!

I'm hoping this is a case of really bad fuel, but somehow I have my doubts. Here's the story, and as to why I have hopes that it's fuel related.

1) Yesterday (12/17/2011) I headed out to an HPDE event
    2) Had 2 morning sessions of 30 minutes each, car was kicking ass (videos coming later)
    3) We had our break for lunch
    4) The first afternoon session was really wet, lots of rain so I sat it out.
    5) Between that session and the next, I needed gas so I put some (5 gal) 98 unleaded sunoco that they had at the track
    6) Drove back to my garage, no signs of anything wrong

4th and final session of the day comes, I head out to the track, and car immediately after jumping on it throws a CEL. I go back to the garage, check the codes with the COBB and it's a 30FF code. I check all my DVs/Piping/Charge area and nothing, so I clear it and head back out.. Same sh*t.. go back to the garage, flash to map 0 (stock level boost), head back out and same sh*t.

I start logging with the Cobb and I can hardly hit 5 psi at any gear at any RPM.. car feels like it's about to choke.

Today (12/18/2011) at home, I took the bottom cover off, my intakes, re-checked everything and can't notice anything. Barely even building 5 to 6 psi tells me something's really messed the f*ck up.

I'm going to just run this gas out, and then re-fill with 93oct and hope that was it. But in the mean time, here's a log for anyone that wants to take a look and comment...

p.s - there was no sign in the morning sessions of my car slowing down at all, literally the only change was that fuel, and 3 hour rest in the pit garage.

Thanks to anyone that comments and/or helps out.

[IMG]Click here to enlarge

And here's the CSV (Just remove the ".txt" part)
    datalog1.csv.txt
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Your wastegates are stuck. Try lubing the wastegates with some lubrication

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Your wastegates are stuck. Try lubing the wastegates with some lubrication
    That was a fast analysis, well done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Check the hoses that provides vacuum to WG's via the control solenoids and the hoses to WG's. The hoses can become lose or crack. There are also two plastic tubes under the valve cover that connects to the vacuum reservoirs. They can be kinked by heat under the valve cover where they bends. I got kinked plastic tubes om my car and lost boost, there is a post on this on n54tech. cn555's hint is also good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

forget wastegates Click here to enlarge they're going to 100% wgdc trying to fight the leak...

you've got a boost leak and a half...check your intercooler piping and around your diverter valves and throttle body...being that you can build 5-6psi its a leak...did you touch any piping at all past while?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Man, sorry to hear that Click here to enlarge Will wait to see what happens, hopefully something small.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    forget wastegates Click here to enlarge they're going to 100% wgdc trying to fight the leak...

you've got a boost leak and a half...check your intercooler piping and around your diverter valves and throttle body...being that you can build 5-6psi its a leak...did you touch any piping at all past while?
    I did about a month ago (re-checked) that same pipe today, but wasn't loose or anything. I'll have more time tomorrow hopefully to mess around with it, and I'll quadruple check everything. Pisses me off, that car was running fine, give it a rest and gives me the middle finger. Last resort will be to have the dealer look at it and see what it is.. Hopefully it is just a leak, that I can deal with and eventually find and fix.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Man, sorry to hear that Click here to enlarge Will wait to see what happens, hopefully something small.
    Thanks, I'm hoping for the same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    I did about a month ago (re-checked) that same pipe today, but wasn't loose or anything. I'll have more time tomorrow hopefully to mess around with it, and I'll quadruple check everything. Pisses me off, that car was running fine, give it a rest and gives me the middle finger. Last resort will be to have the dealer look at it and see what it is.. Hopefully it is just a leak, that I can deal with and eventually find and fix.
    Do NOT dealer it just be patient and you'll find it not many places it can leak that bad
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Do NOT dealer it just be patient and you'll find it not many places it can leak that bad
    Patience? You do know I'm Cuban right? Click here to enlarge .. lol, I'll spend all day tomorrow if I have to till I find at least the cause..

Thanks for the support

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mr. Cuba, check vacuum lines, WGs stuck like cn said, or wastegate solenoid crapped out. It won't be an expensive fix that's for sure. Might need a smoke test.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Here's a question; if wastegates were stuck open; would it still build WGDC? I wouldn't think so; like @dzenno mentioned.. but I could be wrong. The WGDC's going extremely high when trying to boost, so my guess is some leak.. I'll tinker and see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Check the hoses that provides vacuum to WG's via the control solenoids and the hoses to WG's. The hoses can become lose or crack. There are also two plastic tubes under the valve cover that connects to the vacuum reservoirs. They can be kinked by heat under the valve cover where they bends. I got kinked plastic tubes om my car and lost boost, there is a post on this on n54tech. cn555's hint is also good.
    what this guy said. Ive found the vacuum lines to be crumbling right off the airpump hose next to the oil filter housing...many times.

I doubt it would be stuck open wastegates. You would have some pretty severe wastegate rattle leading up to them getting stuck. Not to mention I have yet to see a wastegate actuator actually 'stick', regardless of all BMWs 'superseded part numbers'. You would build 0 boost and it would be loud and slow as $#@!.

plug change anytime recently?

I would go right for a hose check first...if you have access to a mityvac (hand pressure or vacuum pump), Ive been able to test each turbo individually and confirm both wastegates working/not working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

ya, it'll either be the vacuum lines being torn somewhere or an intercooler piping/hose/coupler leak
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge

plug change anytime recently?
    Actually, yes, just did a plug change a couple days before the Track day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

How would a plug change affect him building 6-10psi of boost?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

How would a plug change affect him building 6-10psi of boost?
    +1 if he was misfiring or rough idling that's one thing but not for underboost codes or missing target.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Check you're diverter valves/BOV or throttle body connection to charge pipe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

So I spent most of the day taking $#@! apart and putting it back together. Even brought down my IC just to make sure nothing was lose, everything was in place. If there's a leak, it isn't visible to me or at least any place easily accessible. I'm going to dealer it tomorrow and see what happens from there.

1) Checked vacuum lines
    2) Checked DVs
    3) Checked charge-pipe
    4) Checked IC Piping
    5) followed vacuum lines to vacuum tanks
    6) Wastegates move quite easily

I'm going to dealer this $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

5 dollars says it's the wg solenoids

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Didn't look at all the data (busy day) but check the vacuum post boost solenoid. Make sure it's getting up to say 18" at WOT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Didn't look at all the data (busy day) but check the vacuum post boost solenoid. Make sure it's getting up to say 18" at WOT.
    Thanks for the feedback, if I have a chance to check this afternoon I will, unless the dealer has some loaners, then I'll just take it in.

Thanks T

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Item #4 in this picture are the solenoids right? Guessing by me building some boost only one of them would be out? Is that a correct assumption, assuming it is the issue? My car's building around 6-7 psi on any map.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by yandyr; 12-20-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

If the solenoid is going out you will build boost very slowly and/or throw a 30ff code.

Not sure if that is the part from the picture though. I dealered my car two years ago when I had that problem. Luckily I only had a tune and intake back then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    If the solenoid is going out you will build boost very slowly and/or throw a 30ff code.

Not sure if that is the part from the picture though. I dealered my car two years ago when I had that problem. Luckily I only had a tune and intake back then.
    It does take forever to build any sort of boost, unfortunate now that it doesn't throw a code while stock, because it actually does build 6-7 psi, and I guess that hits target. But never really builds any more than that on any map, and it takes a lifetime.

I'm trying to gather to see if that's the part, so I can start planning in case dealer refuses to cover it. I just swapped out my Forge DVs for stock one's "just in case" and re-flashing to test.. doubt it'll do anything, but trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast