Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Aquamist Flow sensor 806-428

Aquamist flow sensor 806-428
    I just picked up this flow sensor at a crazy low price brand new for 60 bucks shipped...Brand new cost 189 and 7 bucks for deliver making it 196...I received the unit in the mail today and when I opened it up, I was surprised as hell..This unit is so small and I dont know what to make of it...Comparing it to my Snow performance unit it is dwarf in size...Size doesnt matter for some things but I am quite puzzled how this one will work better than the Snow unit safeinjection that I have which is 4X as big and has a metal casing compared to the Aquamist unit with plastic cover casing...I am having issues periodically with my Snow unit from heat..The location I have of the SP safeinjection is the same location used by FBIS, which is bolted onto a metal brace near the front driver side that protects the fuel lines running up to the engine bay...THat brace gets hot enough to make the safeinjection sometimes not function properly and shows no flow...Any how I saw this deal while surfing the web and this guy in Alaska had one that he didnt need with his kit so he sold it to me at a negotiated price of 60 bucks ship...Great deal but I looking at the Aquamist unit, I am skeptical if this unit will be better than the Snow unit...Here is a pic up against a small cigarette lighter!!! The unit that I have states flow range of 100-1200ml/min and the new unit at Aquamist shows the label 100-1500 ml/min are the same just the labeling of the new one is different...Spoke to Jeff about it and he stated the one I have just has the old label on it and will show flow of 100-1500ml/min. I was told the SP unit uses a plastic wheel for flow while the aquamist unit uses a small metal turbine wheel of some sort and will not stick like the other flow sensors. I opened the unit up just to see the guts and its pretty simple...Circuit board with wires and a flow tube!! lol Blew into it and heard something whirl! This will be my back up plan if the SP unit continues to annoy the crap out of me!

A couple of months back the unit sold for 145 but the demand and inflation jacked the unit to 189!

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by Cn555ic; 12-13-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have it, let's just say it works!

The coolingmist one was always very unpredictable
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Paragraphs... paragraphs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does anyone know if the AQM unit in OP can replace the CM flow sensor and be used with CM's CMGS controller?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Does anyone know if the AQM unit in OP can replace the CM flow sensor and be used with CM's CMGS controller?
    The voltage output is different. I am running the wire with 12V now for highest output.
    some answers from Jeff Howerton below:
    The output id .5V in standby, and 4.5V full scale. The flow map with the green wire hooked to 12v will give you the biggest range, about 1500cc at 4.5V. The other two maps have smaller flow rates that hit 4.5V faster.
    The green wire changes the mapping of the .5 to 4.5v signal coming out of the flow sensor. If you ground the green wire, it will be on the most sensitive map. Leaving the green wire un-connected will enable the middle map. Connecting the green wire to 12v, will enable the highest flow map, which should be about 4.5V for 1500cc.

To get an exact mapping for the flowsensor in your system you would need to flow it into a container for a few flow rates and get exact mapping for the cc/volt output.

For reference with Procede :
    I connected the green to the 12v and flow was:

1 nozzle : 54
    2 nozzles: 72

Before green wire un connected it was reading 92 2 nozzles.

With the crappy flowsensor i had before it was reading about 23 on procede.

With jb4 i am using it FSB style since Terry told me the voltage was similar.

Last edited by enrita; 12-13-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the wiring and explanation! I think I will be hooking this up during the cold winter months just to have something to install during the months the car is in storage! I am still bugging out on the size of the unit compared to the Snow Performance one...SP one is the size average adult hand and the Aquamist unit is the size of two fingers put together!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge

The coolingmist one was always very unpredictable
    Unpredictable is an understatement at best.. Click here to enlarge
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Paragraphs... paragraphs.
    Great forum but one thing I don't like is that I am not able to edit my post. It only allows edit first 10 minutes!! Need to change that if anything. Can't even fix my post and make PARAGRAPHS for you since you pointed it out!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Unpredictable is an understatement at best.. Click here to enlarge
    Snow Performance heat doesn't work well with it. Sucks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Great forum but one thing I don't like is that I am not able to edit my post. It only allows edit first 10 minutes!! Need to change that if anything. Can't even fix my post and make PARAGRAPHS for you since you pointed it out!!!
    Yea, what's up with that? I remember being able to edit my posts, but now I tried to edit one right away, and couldn't find the option.. unless it just changed and my lazy ass can't find it.

EDIT: LOL, now this one has it, but unless there were changes in the last 30 minutes.. something was up.. ha
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    The voltage output is different. I am running the wire with 12V now for highest output.
    The output id .5V in standby, and 4.5V full scale. The flow map with the green wire hooked to 12v will give you the biggest range, about 1500cc at 4.5V. The other two maps have smaller flow rates that hit 4.5V faster.
    The green wire changes the mapping of the .5 to 4.5v signal coming out of the flow sensor. If you ground the green wire, it will be on the most sensitive map. Leaving the green wire un-connected will enable the middle map. Connecting the green wire to 12v, will enable the highest flow map, which should be about 4.5V for 1500cc.

To get an exact mapping for the flowsensor in your system you would need to flow it into a container for a few flow rates and get exact mapping for the cc/volt output.

According to Snow, what does 1 vs 2 nozzles flow?

Great post by the way..was meaning to post one as well after giving it a beating for a while but now all I need to say is yes, this flow sensor "works"
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    According to Snow, what does 1 vs 2 nozzles flow?

Great post by the way..was meaning to post one as well after giving it a beating for a while but now all I need to say is yes, this flow sensor "works"
    Both together should be 1100 ml/min . 1x650 and the other 450. but this is all taken from the procede output and calculation tables.
    On cobb i noticed that 1 nozzle is sufficient especially now that is cold.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tested this sensor and generally liked it. It's a nice compact design and they say it has a good reputation for reliability. Issues that came up during the testing were that it would report a flow against a closed solenoid, and with a 1200ml/min ceiling (which was what mine had) it's not going to be able to easily catch an overflow condition (line came out of nozzle, cracked, etc). But for what it is it's probably my favorite of the stand alone flow sensors.

Also note if using it with the JB4 w/ the FSB setting (99) then the overflow detection is disabled. As the FSB system reports a sustained lower than normal voltage during overflows vs. turbine sensors that report a sustained higher than normal voltage. If they are now saying the same sensor that has a 1200ml/min sticker on it can read up to 1500ml/min I'll retest it at say 1400ml/min and if that works we can design a unique JB4 mapping for it with overflow detection enabled. Say mapping 98.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 12-13-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thanks, I see. The CM flow sensor produces digital pulses and not an analogue voltage as the AQM sensor. It would be possible to display the sensor voltage on the CMGS and scale it to represent the actual flow, but this would use the CMGS boost display which I want to keep. Perhaps CM can correct me if my understanding of this is wrong. I don't have any problems with the CM flow sensor that works fine the way I used it, but it would be nice to get something that withstands 100% meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I tested this sensor and generally liked it. It's a nice compact design and they say it has a good reputation for reliability. Issues that came up during the testing were that it would report a flow against a closed solenoid, and with a 1200ml/min ceiling (which was what mine had) it's not going to be able to easily catch an overflow condition (line came out of nozzle, cracked, etc). But for what it is it's probably my favorite of the stand alone flow sensors.

Also note if using it with the JB4 w/ the FSB setting (99) then the overflow detection is disabled. As the FSB system reports a sustained lower than normal voltage during overflows vs. turbine sensors that report a sustained higher than normal voltage. If they are now saying the same sensor that has a 1200ml/min sticker on it can read up to 1500ml/min I'll retest it at say 1400ml/min and if that works we can design a unique JB4 mapping for it with overflow detection enabled. Say mapping 98.
    I've been using it for a while and its served me with no issues so far. I asked Jeff Howerton from howertonengineering.com (where i got my sensor) about his opinion on the points you brought up and here's his response:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeff Howerton
    The only way for the unit to report against a closed solenoid is if there air in the line causing the fluid to pulse back and forth through the sensor "rocking" the turbine back and forth, or through very inferior tubing flexing quite badly under the pump pulses, again rocking the sensor. The unit only reports what is happening. I've never seen it do this in our installations or systems.

The unit will catch an overflow like any other sensor when it hits saturation, that being 4.5V with this sensor. It reports the flow, how you program an overflow event in your system is beyond our control. In the DDS3 system it is very easy to set.

As for the 1200ml ceiling, his sensor is the true DDS3 unit and had an infinite adjustment range, up to the saturation point, based on the green wire. Your unit was is an updated unit with the 3 maps. I can't say what happened when Terry tested his unit, nor did I ever get final results. Of course I'd be happy to have any unit back for testing on our rig if there is a question of an issue.
    makes sense to me
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the one I have is no longer being sold (I think I got it 4-5 months ago?) then I'll have to get an updated one and retest. If 4.5v is really 1500ml/min then we can just add that to the JB4 programming for overflow protection. I'm glad they updated the sensor as the one I had required some extra circuit parts to scale which wasn't practical for customers. The flow against the closed solenoid never made sense to us at the office but that was what the test showed. I think last I heard Jeff thought it was a pump issue, Aquatec 5800 running around 180psi. When I retest the new sensor I'll redo that test as well. Perhaps our flow sensor was simply defective.

I think Jeff thinks we're out to get him since we sell CM stuff primarily and the tests we did were not overly positive but honestly I'm really pulling for this flow sensor to work great. The market needs something like this. If we were out to get him we'd just go design our own standalone flow sensor. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 12-13-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great discussion! Overflow would be great to have since happens once when running procede and the crappy flow sensor from labonte . Knowing what would happen if the meth ignite on the hot engine makes me kinda uneasy, luckily its on driver side so no idea how likely it is to happen.

In my logs though i saw that using 1 nozzle or 2 did not change the meth output shown on JB4 logs. Always on 25 .
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great discussion! Overflow would be great to have since happens once when running procede and the crappy flow sensor from labonte . Knowing what would happen if the meth ignite on the hot engine makes me kinda uneasy, luckily its on driver side so no idea how likely it is to happen.

In my logs though i saw that using 1 nozzle or 2 did not change the meth output shown on JB4 logs. Always on 25 .
    Yes with the FSB mapping (99) it clips anything above 2.5v in the output as that is how the FSB algorithm is designed. It sounds like I need to send my sensor to Jeff for an update, then retest, an then add JB4 mapping 98 for it. I presume you also have the new model Dzenno has?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah newest one i think:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK I'll email Jeff now about getting ours updated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn I dont know about mine now Label only shows 100-1200ml/min...Enrita yours shows 80-2000ml/min!!! I wonder if it will work but I will soon find out if it does...Maybe the flow number you see might be lower with the one I have...I will test it when I install it, if it doesnt work the bargain price i paid for it at 60 bucks will be all for nothingClick here to enlarge I asked Jeff and his explicitly ask me if the unit I bought had a nickle plated fitting and the serial number...He told me it would read up to 1500 ml/min

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Certain forums here allow indefinite editing of the first post. I could enable it but then you would change it and you and I would not be able to complain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its really stupid we can't edit the posts after 10mins...that's way too short..i don't mind blocking out editing after some time but not after 10mins, WAY too short...i'd say after a couple hours or a day its fine IF YOU MUST Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree at least a day. Long post requires edit sometimes just to make it grammatically correct. Typing fast sometimes these errors are not seen until you read it again

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its really stupid we can't edit the posts after 10mins...that's way too short..i don't mind blocking out editing after some time but not after 10mins, WAY too short...i'd say after a couple hours or a day its fine IF YOU MUST Click here to enlarge
    It isn't stupid at all. What, you think I just chose 10 minutes for no reason? Why would I want edit time shorter?

As I have been saying a subscription option is coming which will allow edit time up to a month for those that want it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast