Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

MOTEC RaceGrade Keypads

Wiring switch panels can be a time consuming, and even the best ones are big points of failure on racecars. I should still have nightmares about the Synergy Racing BMW-Doran Grand Am Daytona Prototype, which had this insane relay/breaker panel on the passenger side that had a dozen Bosch 5 pin relays, probably 20 assorted circuit breakers and lots of cascading/interwoven circuits. There were huge bundles of wire going through multiple connectors running to the driver's switch panel and out around the car. It was quite a job to do anything behind that panel.

Click here to enlarge

Later on, we did a restoration on another Synergy Race Car, this one the 993 GT2 Turbo that was the last podium-finishing air-cooled Porsche at Daytona. It was a technological tour-de-force during its time, with ABS, electronic boost control and advanced data logging, but those switch panels were frightening. 3 of our engineers worked on reverse-engineering that panel at different times, and the work to rebuild them was really time consuming.

So these Power-Distribution-Modules have really gotten our attention. They're basically solid-state breaker/relay centers that allow you to laptop-program how things turn on and off, and what the current capabilities are. You eliminate all those relays and breakers - just have switches and wires going to devices. I'm going to do a blog post on those soon, as their prices have gotten into the range where a lot of club-race cars and custom builds (the next Singer Porsches will likely have some sort of PDM) can really benefit. In the meanwhile, MOTEC has come up with something brilliant - CAN keypads. These button pads, which can have custom icons, have 4 wires coming from them - CAN Hi/Lo, power & ground. With 4 wires you can control up to 15 functions, and you can have multiple panels throughout the car. And the panels are priced less than $600!

So as someone who wires race cars for a living, I'm excited about this. Check out our blog post here:

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/motec-r...ts-of-pri-2012

Click here to enlarge

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

sweet buddy! Hope all is well, glad to see you still have time to dig up these innovative items!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

That thing is sick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Stuff for the serious track boys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

so how can I integrate this into my ancient BMW? lol the list keeps growing..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Stuff for the serious track boys.
    Actually, we've sold more PDMs for street cars and resto-mods. If you're ripping the whole electrical system out of a car, this make a lot more sense. The Piper M3 runs a PDM, for example.

so how can I integrate this into my ancient BMW? lol the list keeps growing..
    Its pretty much a full re-wire. Not cheap, and not for everyone. But when you're done, your car is thoroughly modernized electrically and you have a lot of functions and creativity open to you.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Actually, we've sold more PDMs for street cars and resto-mods. If you're ripping the whole electrical system out of a car, this make a lot more sense. The Piper M3 runs a PDM, for example.

Its pretty much a full re-wire. Not cheap, and not for everyone. But when you're done, your car is thoroughly modernized electrically and you have a lot of functions and creativity open to you.

-Neel
    If it would allow my climate control functions to still work, then its an idea. Boy this is going to be one extensive project O_o

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

If it would allow my climate control functions to still work, then its an idea. Boy this is going to be one extensive project O_o
    No problem. And the thing is, its LESS extensive than rewiring a car with fuses/breakers. I like PDMs because once you figure in the labor savings, the overall cost of a rewire is a wash and you get so much more functionality.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com