Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

2010 BMW 135i OE/BT Stage 1 dyno testing +82whp +83wtq

For fun we picked up a 135i M-sport Step trans the other day to add to the fleet. First things first - TUNE. First order of business is to work on and test the newest V3 file catered to 93octane E10 for the new development car with our partner Jeremy @ OE.

Event:
    Dyno tune with OE / BrenTune
    Car: 2010 BMW 135i
    Facility: BrenTuning
    Temperature: Mid 40s
    Dyno Info: Dynapack 1.0 CF SAE
    Transmission:6AT
    Gear: 3RD
    Peak HP: 367whp
    Peak Torque: 363wtq
    Baseline hp/tq for stock on same dyno: 285/280 with filter. (Full bolt on cars make 290-295 catless) so this car is indeed STRONG.
    Fuel: 93 OCT

Engine/Power Modifications:
    AFE drop in filter/Stage 1 Flash

We recently got the pleasure of testing our newest V3 file on a fresh 7000 mile 2010 135i M sport that arrived to us bone stock and very well maintained. In stock form the 135i is decently entertaining, sharp small car handling with a conservative N54 turbo motor and a quick shifting Step transmission it provides plenty for most drivers enjoyment. Knowing the potential of our previous customer’s N54 motors we read out the factory to prepare our V3 file with revised fuel pump and boost control. With an extremely healthy baseline of 285WHP/285WTQ with the drop in filter we went to work on loading the file live on the dyno. With a super conservative 13.5PSI flash peak and 11.5 tapering to 11.2 up top AFR we were able to click many 365+WHP pass with great consistency with power at redline WITHOUT a DCI. Something rarely if at all ever seen in the piggyback / cobb world. On the street it is a furious traction limited 1 series with the reflash. 0 to 50 mph roll-ons consists of hard wheelspin with a power curve that no longer falls off but pulls straight to the raised rev limiter of 7100rpms. The Traction equipped DSC button will become your new friend.

We actually ran a Cobb S2+ Aggressive catless fully bolted that made 372whp and 422wtq @ 18.5psi. After 5700rpms, it made less top end then this car. VERY impressed with the V3 flash. We will be testing a fully bolted 135i shortly and making a custom file for it on the dyno.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Cool stuff...sounds pretty rich at 11.5 tapering to 11.2AFR but you guys know better than me for sure...what timing curve are you running?

Very weird that you dynoed it in 3rd gear??? what's up with that? You should be doing it in 4th..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Doesn't lose power up top with that AFR. Look at the power curve. Timing/VANOS is proprietary. Nowadays everyone is an armchair tuner with AFR and timing targets being thrown around forums as truth or the "best." Testing them in controlled environment with each other is the difference here. This isn't a roller dynojet where gear that makes a difference. You set the ratio - you run the car. 3rd and 4th read identical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't lose power up top with that AFR. Look at the power curve. Timing/VANOS is proprietary. Nowadays everyone is an armchair tuner with AFR and timing targets being thrown around forums as truth or the "best." Testing them in conjunction with each other is the difference here. This isn't a roller dynojet where gear that makes a difference. You set the ratio - you run the car. 3rd and 4th read identical.
    Timing is proprietary? I can just plug a BT tool and see the timing curve Click here to enlarge i'm not asking about the specifics for every possible load, i'm asking are you running less or more aggressive overall ignition timing than stock...what you do with vanos can also be fairly easily checked, don't get the "secret" here really but if you feel its important to not say it that's totally fine with me..everyone has their own reasons for saying and not saying things in the end i guess

in any case Bren, great numbers!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I'm well aware how logging tools work. Average guy with a BT won't be able to see that whole story of the curve based of single cylinder advance logging. VANOS inlet/outlet is a different story Click here to enlarge. Thanks for the props! PS torques boring I love my S65 alot more. Hehe.
    Last edited by BrenM3; 12-08-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well at 13.5 psi with rich AFRs otherwise stock and reaching 365whp is indeed impressive but i think this is running stock advance curve and dumping a lot of fuel. Until you prove otherwise this remains fishy. The N54 bar the fuel limits, is very much figured out nearly everyone knows what is going on in there. So either share the info or no one will buy that tune, if you are selling it that is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Sharing results here from my personal car. Speculation welcome. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'm well aware how logging tools work. Average guy with a BT won't be able to see that whole story of the curve based of single cylinder advance logging. VANOS inlet/outlet is a different story Click here to enlarge. Thanks for the props! PS torques boring I love my S65 alot more. Hehe.
    Average guy or not, if you log cyl 1 ignition you know the timing curve...that's actually pretty funny you say that, are you seriously saying that you need to see timing in ALL the cylinders in order to get an idea of the timing curve? Click here to enlarge Can't believe you just said that? Are you a tuner?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Average guy or not, if you log cyl 1 ignition you know the timing curve...that's actually pretty funny you say that, are you seriously saying that you need to see timing in ALL the cylinders in order to get an idea of the timing curve? Click here to enlarge Can't believe you just said that? Are you a tuner?
    I am not saying that. Reverse engineering a flash with BT parameters will not tell you the whole pie. There is a key table you may be missing in regards to that. JM2C. Enjoy the results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge I was just asking about overall ignition but somehow that was interpreted as reverse engineering a flash..ok np, thanks
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

deleted.
    Last edited by boom; 12-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Reason I'm even mentioning timing is exactly that...there are 3 things making power, boost at 13.5psi and stock timing is about 340whp dynojet, it's not AFR and what you're left with is more timing...changing vanos at 13.5 with stock turbos from what I've seen wont do ANYTHING but smooth out the midrange torque bump at vanos changeover...but anyways, power is power and this is their "propriatery" recipe...can't hurt the consumer to have more options and more competition out there
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Good work guys..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Reason I'm even mentioning timing is exactly that...there are 3 things making power, boost at 13.5psi and stock timing is about 340whp dynojet, it's not AFR and what you're left with is more timing...changing vanos at 13.5 with stock turbos from what I've seen wont do ANYTHING but smooth out the midrange torque bump at vanos changeover...but anyways, power is power and this is their "propriatery" recipe...can't hurt the consumer to have more options and more competition out there
    Some people are a bit defensive I guess.. even a simple question guest miss-interpreted .. lol.. I'm proprietary!! yeaah
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Timing set point off any flash tune can be pulled off the BT tool that's not a big deal. On this platform you can tune fuel, boost, timing, and vanos.

Nice numbers btw.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lol to those that actually believe that this car is within a couple ponies of a stage 2 aggressive cobb car. It's sad that boom deleted his comment cause he actually fell for the marketing presented here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Lol to those that actually believe that this car is within a couple ponies of a stage 2 aggressive cobb car. It's sad that boom deleted his comment cause he actually fell for the marketing presented here.
    No marketing here, this is our personal car. In fact my mother is running errands in it today. I don't see a price or email address or website to link too. Laloosh, I do know you from the ClubRSX days and I can say honestly say almost 6 years later some things never change.

BTW I have the cobb run files I will post them if you'd like when I get back to the shop computer. Best run. I was going to wait to post it till we had a fully bolted 135i on the dyno with the other flash but if called upon I have no problem doing that.

Car tested: 07 335i 6spd, Cobb 2+ Aggressive, AR DP's, HPF FMIC, DCI, vanguard exhaust, Forge DV's.

Stay "tuned."

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I have the cobb run files I will post them if you'd like.
    Go ahead. But I wouldn't falsely claim Cobb runs 18 psi and makes less top end. That makes you simply look like an idiot. Post the baseline for cobb and the tuned run along with mods. No chance in hell will your tune come close to 114 traps and being that I went 117-118 on the same
    Ap u tested makes people wonder what you guys are really up to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you read the dyno graph you can see the Cobb boost # and that it clearly tapers harder on the top end then the graph above. It does beat it in torque down low though (422 IIRC) Doesn't take an "idiot" to notice that Click here to enlarge Considering what I've seen that Cobb is a good tune this is a pat on the back to the other file.

I'm not up to anything or trying to take Cobb's spotlight. These cars already have their divided camps. My post clearly says Hey this is a strong flash only setup I'd like to share.

I personally found it funny the Cobb car came in for independent pulls only the same day 2+ was released and we were (including the owner) underwhelmed with it to be honest. I was expecting 400+ on a dynapack.

No one is out for a witchhunt here, but this has turned into a typical N54 based thread drama.

Cobb results later. Same dyno same setting just food for thought.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Well what did you expect when you directly compared your current flash to a flash that has become the strongest pump gas tune out for the n54? They don't dyno high but there have been a ton of users hitting 114-117 on those maps. The most recent was 335xi that ran on a race mix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yay more tuner battles! keep em coming.. Honestly you come in and put comparisons up with nothing to back it up.. other than "we dyno'd a Cobb car" and expect a warm reception.. lol..
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You mention 18.5 psi on the Cobb tune but make no mention of where the 18 psi is being targeted. This is sneaky Pete advertising made to make your product look better. Does the OE tune target load or boost? Just curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

people should just let them market however they see fit, who cares really...to me its enough that they said that timing can't be seen using the BT tool and that the timing curve was proprietary Click here to enlarge in my books that won't fly but whatever, all the POWA to you guys Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Well what did you expect when you directly compared your current flash to a flash that has become the strongest pump gas tune out for the n54? They don't dyno high but there have been a ton of users hitting 114-117 on those maps. The most recent was 335xi that ran on a race mix.
    Cobb is a great product no doubt, I took their EFI courses in 2005, I owned an APV1 in 2005 on my WRX before then I had an ancient AccessECU. I actually just put in an order for their ProTuner software as well.

Just showing what we did, on my personal car and how it compared to a bolted 335i on the same dyno. An underacheiver if you will.

Sometimes I forget anything posted in the N54 section requires a flame suit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You mention 18.5 psi on the Cobb tune but make no mention of where the 18 psi is being targeted. This is sneaky Pete advertising made to make your product look better. Does the OE tune target load or boost? Just curious.
    This will be demonstrated in the run file.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Sometimes I forget anything posted in the N54 section requires a flame suit.
    When you don't disclose the details then yes, you'll potentially get flamed Click here to enlarge by the way, i wasn't flaming at all, just asking if you used more timing than stock to achieve your numbers...i won't/don't argue with polite non deceiving members on any board but if I see that its crossing the line i can't help it but to jump in Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast