Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Scan tool - Clearing codes does not protect you from dealer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BT Scan tool - Clearing codes does not protect you from dealer?

So what's this nonsense about the BT tool not being able to delete tuner codes from the ECU, but the procede can over on "the other" forum. Marketing gimick or is there some truth to this aside from Shiv's word? Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Well, Shiv has been saying you can't use the BT scan tool when using the PROcede at the same time as they use the same channel/interface. I don't doubt him on this.

However, not being able to delete codes? I don't know about that. We will see what he says.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what's this nonsense about the BT tool not being able to delete tuner codes from the ECU, but the procede can over on "the other" forum. Marketing gimick or is there some truth to this aside from Shiv's word? Click here to enlarge
    Simply nonsense. Really it's the "other guys" that have things to worry about on the warranty end. But no reason to really get in to it here. They will find out soon enough. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Went in for service (fuel pump, valve cover gasket) here with deleted codes. No one knew.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

if you run a tune, of any brand, a BT is a must. there are simply too many things that it can read/scan/clear/reset/log. Tuner codes are just one facet of it. Put it this way, if the claim/marketing info was not brought into discussion here or n54tech, where people can post information without reprisal, then that should be a clue to something..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Clearing codes does NOT protect you from the dealer?

Read this and want to get the straight answer as two tuners are saying two different things.

BMW can read the codes that were cleared with a diagnostic tool. This is fact and I've seen this first-hand. In other words, simply clearing any codes prior to the dealership visit won't necessarily protect you from being flagged for having a tune if BMW chooses to interrogate your DME at a deeper level.

So a different approach is needed to keep big brother from knowing what codes you had and erased. We have applied this with the Procede's CANclear function. It reads and clears all DME codes. Including tuner codes which it clears automatically and in a way that prevents them from being read, even by BMW.

Shiv
    So, if BMW chooses to look at something a bit deeper they will be able to prove the car was tuned? Terry states this is all BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We're talking about it here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8175

Click here to enlarge

But in short the perceived problem he is trying to solve is BS and his solution to this imaginary problem can be better implemented with the BT tool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We're talking about it here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8175

Click here to enlarge

But in short the perceived problem he is trying to solve is BS and his solution to this imaginary problem can be better implemented with the BT tool.
    Yep, that is where I saw it. As you know, this serves as a middle ground and Shiv can respond Click here to enlarge

So the BT tool can in fact clear the codes and the dealer won't know?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Just realized this overlaps with the BT tool thread, merging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, that is where I saw it. As you know, this serves as a middle ground and Shiv can respond Click here to enlarge

So the BT tool can in fact clear the codes and the dealer won't know?
    It's a more complicated issue and I'm not looking to share more than we need to. But there is nothing the V4 can do that the BT can't. On the other hand the BT can do many things the V4 can't. Customers can determine where there comfort level falls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

It's a more complicated issue and I'm not looking to share more than we need to. But there is nothing the V4 can do that the BT can't. On the other hand the BT can do many things the V4 can't. Customers can determine where there comfort level falls.
    Would you be able to share what the BT tool can do that the V4 can't?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I have found things with my INPA tool on my N54 that my Bav Tool was suppose to have erased. The funny thing is I have not been able to replicate it since as I do not get codes. Some that I had found where cat related and one was a torque manipulation code when I increased the boost to much without increasing the torque limitation threshold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

if this were true then wouldn't there be a ton of people with voided warranties? Clearly BS!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)

Would you be able to share what the BT tool can do that the V4 can't?
    For starters fully read and clear codes from every module in the car. The V4 can only partially read and clear the ECU module.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

For starters fully read and clear codes from every module in the car. The V4 can only partially read and clear the ECU module.
    But you can't use a BT with a V4, right? So then if I understand this correctly one would be at greater risk with a V4 than with a BT tool regarding the dealer, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Thought this was rather interesting:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shiv@Vishnu
    Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to keep your dealership from knowing that you have been running with the Procede:

1) Leave the CANclear feature active when driving your car. The default setting is ON so just leave it alone. Next, unplug your exhaust bypass valve solenoid. It is located in your trunk. This is a very popular "modification" to make your exhaust note sound better. But, more importantly, the Procede's clever CANclear function will use the benign shadow code this modification generates to displace any potentially warranty-voiding tuning codes that would otherwise be stored in the DME (even after a code clear).

2) Before dropping your car off at the dealership for work/service, plug the exhaust valve solenoid back in and clear all codes with the Procede. Truthfully, isn't even necessary since the CANclear will do this periodically by itself. But it's worth doing anyway just to play it safe. And it only takes 5 seconds of your time.

3) Once the codes are cleared, physically remove the Procede. Dealership techs are instructed to inspect/look for tunes in some circumstances. So removing it is important. If, for some reason, you simply cannot remove it (and are willing to gamble with your warranty), you can leave it installed. But you MUST do the following:
    -Toggle to Valet Mode (using the DTC mapswitching feature)
    -Turn CANclear OFF (in the User Adjustable menu)
    Not doing BOTH of these will make it impossible for the dealership's diagnostic tools to communicate with your DME.

When you get your car back, all you need to do is:

1) Install your Procede
    2) Unplug the exhaust valve solenoid

And get back to driving!

Cheers
    shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Terry,

Do you have any proof of it not fully clearing? How about a scan with a dealer tool post such as the post above Click here to enlarge Sounds like alot of hearsay from both sides.

Just to regurgitate, the BT is not a BMS product, not sure why it's being touted as one when it's an option that's pretty much needed with an JB purchase. A V4 user could purchase one too and have the same invincibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)

But you can't use a BT with a V4, right? So then if I understand this correctly one would be at greater risk with a V4 than with a BT tool regarding the dealer, correct?
    Actually I suspect there is an issue with the clear commands the V4 is sending. When I get time I'll sniff it out and verify. But in bigger news the guys at BT have been spending a lot of time analyzing the newer BMW softwares and are finding some potentially interesting things. Things that may compel all warranty loving N54 tune owners to own a BT cable in the not so distant future.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Actually I suspect there is an issue with the clear commands the V4 is sending. When I get time I'll sniff it out and verify. But in bigger news the guys at BT have been spending a lot of time analyzing the newer BMW softwares and are finding some potentially interesting things. Things that may compel all warranty loving N54 tune owners to own a BT cable in the not so distant future.
    Although this could be true, tell me that doesn't sound funny?

A damn good scare tactic marketing angle - yee haw! You heard of it first - BT has found that you need their tool to keep your warranty. We accept Amex, Visa, or cashier check.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

what you fail to realize is that BT works on more than just an N54.. so this is bigger than just our crowd. and not really part of the BMS Vs. Vishnu thing as you seem to try and perpetuate. if you own a tune or even flash, you want a BT, its a fact, anyone that says its not needed is just on borrowed time.. whats it cost $300? oh wait, i sold the other 2 spots for $100 each so now me and 2 friends can use it.. so $100 and i can see and do more than just clear ecu codes.. like when i had to reset my tranny, or reset my steering angle sensor.. or reset my battery..or, well you get the idea.. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Dear noob,

I've had a BT before BMS and Vishnu even knew what it was. Cali DME tuners have been using them since the launch when the first application was buggy as hell. In fact I've had mine before they even locked the enthusiast kit to 3 VIN's. We originally used it to reset fuel adaptation values in between flashes. I'm well aware what it does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Dear noob,

I've had a BT before BMS and Vishnu even knew what it was. Cali DME tuners have been using them since the launch when the first application was buggy as hell. In fact I've had mine before they even locked the enthusiast kit to 3 VIN's. We originally used it to reset fuel adaptation values in between flashes. I'm well aware what it does.
    So... it is very useful and worth having?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Dear noob,

didnt sound like it from your newbish comments then

** edit** actually, i just re-read your comments, and i mis-read it, i apologize, for some reason i thought you said something completely different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I use it for things a normal scan tool can't do (airbag lights, reset sensors like a GT1 and for datalogging tunes), it's worth having for that.

Unlike the N54 my car isn't a death trap of cel lights that I have to avoid due to incomplete piggyback tuning. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

the only CEL lights i get are from BMW's own $#@!-ups, not my tunes Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast