Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question Installing LSD - should I get an upgraded clutch at this time as well?

I'm getting my Wavetrac LSD on Wednesday and I'm thinking if I should really get an upgraded clutch (and maybe a lightened flywheel) before going ahead with the install. What do you guys think? I'd rather do the clutch later when I destroy my OEM one as I I've had it slip just once 1.5 months back.

Also, I'll probably stop modding for power once RB's turbos are on (have all boltons right now with meth). For this power level (i'm guessing around 450-500whp) what clutch you guys recommend? What about lighter flywheel while I'm at it? I've heard the lighter single mass flywheels create a lot of noise but I can stand pretty high levels of noise (my car is catless) so will this be louder than that? How much performance improvement at the dragstrip is there in changing to a lighter aluminum flywheel? Is it worth it? Car is a daily driver...

Been considering Clutch Masters FX300 and FX400, not sure if kevlar or ceramic is best with/without lightened flywheel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do the clutch, if you are anything like me you will love it, shifts are great. Also get the lightweight flywheel, preferably with replaceable surface plates that can expand and contract separately from the main body, like the RPS. You will have more clutch chatter, but the benefits/feel far outweigh the noise, and it makes matching shifts or just rowing the gears in general easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i would definately get a clutch. mainly because without one you will be just replacing the OEM one every 10k miles lol. as for LW-f or not, that is subjective. lightweight fly's will have gear rattle called chatter. its on a different audible tone then your exhaust and is only really noticable when at idle or slow speeds. so by revving your exhaust in ranges you dont really drown out the tone at a stop. the pestering questions of "is your car broken?" or "what's that noise? doesnt sound too good!" is enough to drive me away from a lightweight fly. and trust me, you will be getting those stupid questions if you choose it, lol.

my car is tracked hard and my clutch has been a beast throughout my sessions. I have a spec stage 3 with stock fly. So the clutch is a SAC which basically means that i have stock pedal pressure, by modifying the fulcrum point. It has worked out great so far, I'll be testing it with my upgraded turbos when I have them installed. I would be heart broken to find out i have to get a lw-f because of the clamping force needed, i honestly cannot stand the chatter, considering how much traffic and how many red lights there are lol.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how long does the aftermarket clutch go for? 50k miles? +/- ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hmmm, oddjob, this makes me think twice about the lw-f..what to do? f*ck! i've never heard one so I have no idea what the noise will be like...anyone have a vid?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    how long does the aftermarket clutch go for? 50k miles? +/- ?
    depending on purpose and use i would say that's a favorable estimate, but as for all parts with abuse comes shortened life.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    hmmm, oddjob, this makes me think twice about the lw-f..what to do? f*ck! i've never heard one so I have no idea what the noise will be like...anyone have a vid?
    is your car a daily driver? is it your toy and track car? from what ive been told, launching this car with a lw-f is a $#@! and a half. you need a whole lot of revs and a clutch dump not to bog. a lw-f and heavy clutch is for a racecar, one that is not your DD. the greatest thing about a BMW is it can be a little bit of both. but by modifiying some pieces, you can make it into a dedicated racecar. a lw-f and heavy clutch fits in that catigory IMHO. if you want more clamping force without the hardship of a heavy clutch and weird launch get a SAC and keep your dual-mass, a couple of companies sell them. if you dont care what it feels like or how it sounds get the lw-f. a member on here, lamia2super, has my exact clutch set up, but with the flywheel, ask him if he'd be kind enough to make you a video of idle.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 05-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dont think chatter is that bad. I haven't had a n lwf on the 335i but i've had it on previous cars (as low as 8.5lbs) and its never really bothered me. I think its personal preference. Also fwiw i've never gotten the question whether my car is broken or not

Driving with a lwf is the same as anything else... the driver will get used to it. I actually learned to drive manual on a car with lwf and the 335i is the first car i've owned where i've gone this long w/o changing the clutch (it holds strong Click here to enlarge) and i actually hate how heavy the revs feel when i downshift and rev match.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you should do the upgraded clutch and the lightened flywheel, and see how it sounds and feel to you.

I wouldn't do things half way. IMHO!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ordered the ClutchMasters FX400 (6-puck ceramic) and their L-FW as well as the UUC SSK/DSSR/RK7A-L knob...got my LSD in the mail on Wednesday so it should be good times when installed Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice choice, CM is a great brand.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    People with the DSSR from UCC, Is there a up and down to it? I had it installed today and the DSSR rubs against the carrier and makes it really hard to get into 1st and reverse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There should be no such issues and WOW what an old thread...way back flash back Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I cant get my car into 1st or second I can literally see the selector rod hitting the carrier. Im about to go to BMW and have my UUC STS and DSSR replaced for the BMW SSK and stock selector rod. Or do I try and resolve the issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    There should be no such issues and WOW what an old thread...way back flash back Click here to enlarge
    +1 I had this on my 2008 335i and had no issues.
    If was you I would fix the problem first.