Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Trevor's Z4 ///M Roadster GTX35R Build - Lutz Performance-

Well we're a little late getting started on this after a few delays but better late than never! Click here to enlarge Just wanted to get the thread rolling, I will update as I go!

Basic hardware:

GTX3582R, divided T4, 1.06 a/r
    Custom twin scroll tubular manifold
    Custom motor mount (passenger side)
    Tial 38mm V-band wastegates x 2
    Tial Q BOV's x 2
    Precision 750 FMIC core
    Custom aluminum charge pipes using Vibrant VanGen couplers turbo to intake manifold
    HPF Intake manifold
    ProEFI ECU w/ plug and play harness
    FIC 2150cc injectors
    Custom fuel rail
    Bosch 044 inline pumps x 2
    6an tank to 1 gallon surge tank, two 6an lines surge to inline pumps with separate 6an feeds to each side of rail, 6an return to surge, 6an return to tank
    Aeromotive FPR
    Very short 3" downpipe to two 2.5" splits mating to Eisenmann rear mufflers

Lutz Performance and Speed Freak Fabrications brings you a Z4M (the very few there are) like you've never seen before :woot:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Turbo mounted, midway on manifold

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Our plan was a top mount but requiring AC and also a full intake and filter, a mid mounted turbo was the best option

Enjoy!

-Shawn-
    Last edited by A4RingedONE8T; 12-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, great news !!
    Click here to enlarge

Time Attack ///MZ4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    good news but pictures dont work
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Forum keeps killing the pictures, no idea what's up. They're back up again ... for now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Gone again, I give up, sorry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    Gone again, I give up, sorry. Visit here, a forum that works .... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=889263
    The forum works just fine, we import photos automatically so there are never broken images. Photobucket doesn't like that, so it's your host, not us. If you uploaded the pictures it would work... I did it for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    Gone again, I give up, sorry.
    All you ever have to do if you have a problem is PM me and I will resolve it ASAP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When it gets back here I'll be making some go pro-age of it.. its going to rip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, these custom kits are badass. I love the twin scroll feature you have.I can't wait till this is done and we get some dyno's of this turbo. Hopefully get spool by 3k rpm?

Edit: maybe 4k rpm? lol just saw the 1.06 AR damn gonna have a lot of top end. Is the motor built?
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Man, these custom kits are badass. I love the twin scroll feature you have.I can't wait till this is done and we get some dyno's of this turbo. Hopefully get spool by 3k rpm?

Edit: maybe 4k rpm? lol just saw the 1.06 AR damn gonna have a lot of top end. Is the motor built?
    Its my roomates. We're hoping it starts spooling in the mid 3k.. the motor isn't built.... YET (will likely be built next winter)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    Its my roomates. We're hoping it starts spooling in the mid 3k.. the motor isn't built.... YET (will likely be built next winter)
    Building the motor is a must!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all kind remarks guys, this project is heating up quick!! We really enjoy projects where off the shelf parts are readily available for the particular platform!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Thanks Sticky for fixing the pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Drive it hard.. if the motor blows.. time to build it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Absolutely amazing work. Just beautiful

Agreed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@lutzperformance Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Sticky for fixing the pics.
    No problem at all. Anytime there are any board issues I'm here to help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    Absolutely amazing work. Just beautiful
    It is just beautiful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love the turbo orientation....reminds me of some Pro-Mods.

This is a great example of function being a priority over installation. Not saying the installation is an issue, just that that function is focused on in a very good way.

Nice work!!!
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Love the turbo orientation....reminds me of some Pro-Mods.

This is a great example of function being a priority over installation. Not saying the installation is an issue, just that that function is focused on in a very good way.

Nice work!!!
    What do you like about the turbo orientation? I like where it is off the manifold a lot. It does seem to be a bit back in the engine bay but from underneath I guess easy access.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What do you like about the turbo orientation? I like where it is off the manifold a lot. It does seem to be a bit back in the engine bay but from underneath I guess easy access.
    The exhaust has a straighter path out of the housing, which can have a very positive effect on exhaust flow. The intake path is pretty good as well, but it doesn't have the same measure of impact.

On the intake side, restrictions create a greater depression (lower atmospheric pressure) in front of the turbo which can be overcome for the most part by increasing compressor speed. (Output) But....if you are on the edge of the compressor efficiency, (far right of a compressor map) you won't have much room to compensate for the lower atmospheric pressure pre-turbo. Where people see increases in power at the same manifold pressure by lowering intake restrictions, (Larger air filter, or better pre-turbo pipe layout) the reason is because the turbo doesn't have to work as hard resulting in better adiabatic efficiency. In laymen's terms, the turbo is operating closer to peak compressor efficiency. (Further left of the compressor choke line)

Want a practical example? Moving from 67 to 72% efficiency at peak power can translate into almost a direct 5% increase in power. If you were making 600hp, that's a potential gain of 30hp without increasing manifold pressure. Lets follow this a bit further.....to the air filter.

It's a common goal to keep air velocity across the face of the air filter element below 130 ft/s. What does this mean? It means if we were to measure the speed of air traveling through a flat section of air filter element, we want to see it moving below 130 feet per second. This engine will probably make 600hp, so we can safely assume that it will want to consume 60 lb/min of air through the turbo. 60 lbs divided by the atmospheric density of 0.076 lbs per cubic foot, equals 790 cubic feet, or 790 CFM. We divide this by 130 to arrive at square feet, which equals roughly 6 square feet, or 874 square inches of filtration surface area. Think about that for a minute....that's a pretty big filter.

The problem is, most people can't fit an air filter element this big into their car. So, something smaller is usually used at the cost of lower atmospheric pressure pre-turbo, which the compressor overcomes by working a bit harder. From a pressure perspective, we're usually looking at -1 PSI...although it can be greater with smaller air filter/pipe installations. One common misconception is that this causes oil seal issues on the cold side of a turbo: How the heck is that possible when the compressor side is generating positive atmospheres?!!!

On the exhaust, reducing the discharge angle from the turbine housing can have a really big affect on flow. Going from a 45 degree outlet, to a straight outlet I've seen a study where flow increased by over 20% on a flowbench. Of course the real question in any application is where is the bottle neck. If you're running a 4" downpipe on a 400hp car...you can probably run a 90 degree angle and not hurt performance much. But....here's where the real advantage is: spool. The greater the pressure differential between the pre-turbine and post-turbine, the more work will be done by the turbine wheel. This has a very positive affect on the acceleration of the wheel, and also how much "torque" it generates at lower speeds. You might not gain much peak power from optimizing the exhaust discharge angle from the turbine housing, but it can have a significant affect on spool.

Wow....spare time in Singapore. I really should go get something to eat....sorry for the rant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent turbo choice and manifold design!

Keep us updated! I want to see the dyno trace when it's ready.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really should go get something to eat....sorry for the rant.
    Not a rant at all, great post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This should be interesting to say da least... Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've seen a study where flow increased by over 20% on a flowbench. .
    Adam, is it possible to get a copy of this study? I'm redoing the exhaust on my rb26 and this would be very applicable.

Shawn, is it possible to 'bottom mount' the wastegates, rather than 'top mount'? just curious, as it looks like you would get much better angle from the runners to the gates. but, i can't visualize how to tie back in to the downpipe.
    Last edited by black bnr32; 12-11-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    Adam, is it possible to get a copy of this study? I'm redoing the exhaust on my rb26 and this would be very applicable.

Shawn, is it possible to 'bottom mount' the wastegates, rather than 'top mount'? just curious, as it looks like you would get much better angle from the runners to the gates. but, i can't visualize how to tie back in to the downpipe.
    I was witness to the test, but don't have the data. There wasn't a whole lot of discussion going on with 13 vacuum cleaner motors running full tilt. (We all had ear defenders on) Not sure if you've ever seen what a home made flowbench is like....but those suckers are loud, and take TON of juice to power up. This one was housed in farmer's machine shed to get access to the power required. The bottom line was that the restriction seemed to go up exponentially with angle...it wasn't linear. That said; if you aren't near the choke point of a pipe to start with at say 90 degrees, I doubt you will see any effect on flow by reducing the angle.

FYI, the pro-mod guys seem to actually make more power with a straight section of downpipe mounted to the turbo, than without. Something to do with the "nozzle effect".

One other thing that I seem to hear repeated over and over is to run a steep angle introducing the WG flow back into an exhaust pipe. (For a muffled car) Maybe that's what Shaun is trying to do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    No way to fit them on the bottom without blocking the space allowed for the intake, or getting in the way of the downpipe. I would have liked to have the wastegate feeds off the 3-1's but space in that area of the manifold is already tight. There is quite a bit of space in the bay of the Z4 but unfortunately not a lot of it in the right place. I think current placement is more than sufficient, like everything just have to make a judgement and go with it. You can drive yourself nuts with the should have done this, should have done that. Didn't get a chance to make any progress last week. Manifold is about 90% welded today, been on the TIG all day, will finish it up by lunchtime tomorrow, get it fitted and move on to the motor mount. Wastegates are also going to be dumped, not recirc'd

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast