Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More fuel than any solenoid injector?!

Maybe the big single turbos WON'T need secondary injection...... if the flash tuners can figure everything out. Also, the ability to run e85 could lead to some truly pump gas monsters!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait for E85 to hit Canada...can't believe we still don't have it here and we've always been one of the most environmentally conscious countries in the world
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    maximum 40 grams per second at 200 bar from the HPFP, is roughly, assuming 0.75 gram per cc for gasoline, means it can spray 40/0.75 cc per second, which is 53 cc per second. So that's 53 * 60 = 3180 CC injectors... Imagine !
    And remember from my OP, that the the piezo piece can handle much higher pressures; but the fuel system developed for this engine cannot.

I can't understand why some tuners think of combining port injection with this fantastic injection system. Seems like a step back !

greetings,

Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dubversion Click here to enlarge
    I can't understand why some tuners think of combining port injection with this fantastic injection system. Seems like a step back !
    I think the main reason is because they're just planning on using whatever worked for them before (e.g. standalones)...ridding the N54 from DI is definitely a step back...its not just fueling, its the amazing knock control system in the injectors too, as well as the insane flow rates provided by the DI injectors...this info you posted will definitely raise a few eyebrows and will surprise many N54 tuners i'm sure...even more reason to look into the DME itself going forward..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tried e85 once on cobb and got fuel mixture codes on some stage 3 alpha map. Was about 1/3 of the tank. I am not very happy to run that in my car, dont want to screw up the hpfp etc.
    Dzenno what do you think? How would you test it?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you maybe also run meth on top or have the procede still plugged in?

Not sure, I'd probably just fill up half tank E85 and try it on stock boost...if any issues then I'd just fill the remaining half with pump gas
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Did you maybe also run meth on top or have the procede still plugged in?

Not sure, I'd probably just fill up half tank E85 and try it on stock boost...if any issues then I'd just fill the remaining half with pump gas
    Cobb only, meth yes. Will test more in spring. We have e85 at every pump in sweden.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Cobb only, meth yes. Will test more in spring. We have e85 at every pump in sweden.
    Thats amazing. Do you have race gas at every pump too? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd reset adaptations too, then fill up on e85, turn meth off and run the stock map initially for about 50-100km..then up boost to say stg1 no meth still...then stg2+ and run a 50/50 mix on a much smaller nozzle than we do today typically...possibly just an M7, as I'd expect you'd only need it for IAT suppression
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I doubt he knows the melting point of the internals, he doesn't even know if the internals are forged. Try to get him to put us in contact with the same head honch of the engine department and we'll suck them all dry of information!

Hopefully he responds back with good references! Also what method of contact does he have with you dub?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tried e85 once on cobb and got fuel mixture codes on some stage 3 alpha map. Was about 1/3 of the tank. I am not very happy to run that in my car, dont want to screw up the hpfp etc.
    For that amount ethanol mixture the DME would need a re-map to run properly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, you need 30% more fuel to burn the same amount of oxygen , so i you must change the mapping for sure. The DME will notice that the exhaust still has oxygen, so i'd expect a code as well

I do know that engines can handle up to 15% ethanol, but of course 85 % is over that limit. Another interesting point of the engineer was his statement about E100. You don't need the 15 gasoline to avoid cold start issues anymore with this injection. Awesome !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I doubt he knows the melting point of the internals, he doesn't even know if the internals are forged. Try to get him to put us in contact with the same head honch of the engine department and we'll suck them all dry of information!

Hopefully he responds back with good references! Also what method of contact does he have with you dub?
    Yes, but the engine is built by BMW, not by Siemens (Continental). So it's not strange he didn't know about the internals.
    Let's see what he can arrange for us. He is very sincere in his help. I got in touch with him over the phone and today i called him up again. I also have his e-mail address. I don't want to share this info, because i'm afraid he'll get bombarded with questions. I gave him the details of the n54tech forum, so i'm sure if he joins there, i can ask him to join here as well. I dont want to chase him away !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How does the ECU measure a knocking problem ? Does it use voltage ? Does it do it for all 6 cilinders individual ?
    Each piezo injector has a knocking sensor. It measures vibration. By looking at certain frequencies, the knocking signal is sent.
    I seem to remember an argument on the other forum as to whether the n54 had individual cylinder knock correction. This would seem to confirm that it does. Quite interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I mix Shell99 and e85 since this spring, started out with 20% E85 and has now been using more like 40% e85 since the summer. Engine seems very happy, my timing has been perfect (10-15deg) running a map6 that has a max boost around 15.5
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    xbox, i would love to see your dyno graph and one running the same boost on shell99 only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    xbox, i would love to see your dyno graph and one running the same boost on shell99 only.
    I have been planing to dyno this spring, but I will probably not do it twice (it is quite expensive here in Sweden) if I would try to change fuel between runs I am sure it would take many hours...

I have a friend with a Kleemans E55 that wants to go to the same dyne as my tiny n54 engine Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    I mix Shell99 and e85 since this spring, started out with 20% E85 and has now been using more like 40% e85 since the summer. Engine seems very happy, my timing has been perfect (10-15deg) running a map6 that has a max boost around 15.5
    Good to know there are no long term issues running e85 .
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EDIT: the usage of the piezo injector as a knocking sensor is under investigation. It seems the N54 also comes equiped with standard knocking sensors. I'll email the engineer to check, but it will take a while to get the anwer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EDIT: the usage of the piezo injector as a knocking sensor is under investigation. It seems the N54 also comes equiped with standard knocking sensors. I'll email the engineer to check, but it will take a while to get the anwer.
    Cool man, let us know for sure..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know the Audi 2.7t motor used a strategy where ignition voltage is measured on individual cylinders in order to predict cylinder pressure, and therefore the conditions that lead to knock. Individual cylinders can be corrected before knock occurs, but the engine still had two conventional knock sensors in case sudden major knock events appear. I would not be surprised if BMW uses a similar strategy on the N54. In fact, I'd be a bit surprised if they only rely on the standard knock sensors to pull timing/boost after knock occurs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    I know the Audi 2.7t motor used a strategy where ignition voltage is measured on individual cylinders in order to predict cylinder pressure, and therefore the conditions that lead to knock. Individual cylinders can be corrected before knock occurs, but the engine still had two conventional knock sensors in case sudden major knock events appear. I would not be surprised if BMW uses a similar strategy on the N54. In fact, I'd be a bit surprised if they only rely on the standard knock sensors to pull timing/boost after knock occurs.
    N54 applies per cylinder timing corrections and they can't be based on the external noise/frequency pickup mics mounted on the side of the block...if a fuel system engineer from BMW says they're built into the fuel injectors I say we believe it Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, considering knock sensors are piezoelectric devices, it makes sense that the piezo injectors can also be used as such.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm a donk with electrical stuff, but there's 2 wires going to each injector... I would think there needs to be a 3rd for an additional signal. You can still use knock sensors per cylinder by timing Hz with cylinder firing. anyway, I'm curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    You can still use knock sensors per cylinder by timing Hz with cylinder firing. anyway, I'm curious.
    good point..
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast