Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No

    Upgraded turbos and stock 6AT questions....

    Hey guys, I'm considering the upgraded turbo route but was looking for feedback from the 6AT crowd who has them...

    My thing is, I won't be launching this car hard and will be stressed mostly on highway pulls where the torque converter is locked.

    What is causing the 6AT to fail under large amounts of power with these upgraded turbos? Is it the clutch packs / torque converter or is it just overall stress?

    I think I could live with not launching the car hard without a tranny rebuild. Any thoughts from those with upgraded turbos + 6AT? I know it's a small crowd but feedback would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    I was just asking this question tonight. I am looking to go the same route. I think it would be fine as long as you arent launching the car.
    Click here to enlarge


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Points
    6,787.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys, I'm considering the upgraded turbo route but was looking for feedback from the 6AT crowd who has them...

    My thing is, I won't be launching this car hard and will be stressed mostly on highway pulls where the torque converter is locked.

    What is causing the 6AT to fail under large amounts of power with these upgraded turbos? Is it the clutch packs / torque converter or is it just overall stress?

    I think I could live with not launching the car hard without a tranny rebuild. Any thoughts from those with upgraded turbos + 6AT? I know it's a small crowd but feedback would be appreciated.
    Well, LM's transmission is still up for sale if you want to be sure nothing breaks...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Well, LM's transmission is still up for sale if you want to be sure nothing breaks...
    I would so do it but I am uncertain if the tcus will be a match. I have an msd81 he has msd80. I was probably the first one to ask him about that. Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    i have never launched my car, only done pulls from 30 mph upwards. The tranny will start slipping when you pass a certain amount of power/torque. You will start cooking your plates and basically from there on is a downward slope.

    Heat does definetely play a role so you could try at first to put some kind of tranny cooler and do a complete oil change with higher flashpoint (like Redline D6 i am using) .

    We have options now like LEVEL10 so just go for it and tackle this issue when it arises. At that point i will have many miles on mine to confirm it holds.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    The tranny will start slipping when you pass a certain amount of power/torque.
    Have we definitively established what this number is?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Have we definitively established what this number is?
    mine started to go south after upgrading the turbos and running over 18 psi of boost. no idea about the power but its safe to say that when running over 450 whp the tranny will suffer a lot.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    133
    Rep Points
    48.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My tranny is still doing fine , i try to avoid hard launches but i do many WOT shifts at 18.5 PSI . So far still holding strong , i'm around 7000Km on RB's now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    962
    Rep Points
    1,141.3
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    IMO hard launches and DTC always kicking in is bad for the AT tranny. If you are from a roll and then WOT even on higher power levels the tranny should still hold up. Wheel hop is the devil of all stock tranny. I cringe every time it happens.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    962
    Rep Points
    1,141.3
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Well, LM's transmission is still up for sale if you want to be sure nothing breaks...
    I can't believe LM is selling his car. His car is a monster

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Points
    6,787.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    I can't believe LM is selling his car. His car is a monster
    Well, he is up for bigger and better things. He got a taste of a SC M3 and has set his goals for something similar
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    It will definatly take a toll even without hard launches. Hell, i never Did a HARD launch. In the year+ I had the RB's, how many track days, maybe 3? So even from a roll its gonna have an effect. But I had no signs leading up to the track day that did it in. I would highly suggest you dig a bit deeper to see what would.be needed to swap our tranny's. $2k is a great deal. I'll say it, I paid $4k for it, not sure what anyone else paid, but as I posted in my researching threads, every company was seeking $8k. So I'm not sure what the lowest price you, or anyone else, would be able to get.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Someone should really beat on a level 10 tranny before proclaiming it as a solution...3 track days is nothing...hotrod needs to put it on his car Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Points
    1,149.6
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Enrita, How do you like the level 10 rebuild? Any details on specific components, wear patterns, failure modes?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    It will definatly take a toll even without hard launches. Hell, i never Did a HARD launch. In the year+ I had the RB's, how many track days, maybe 3? So even from a roll its gonna have an effect. But I had no signs leading up to the track day that did it in. I would highly suggest you dig a bit deeper to see what would.be needed to swap our tranny's. $2k is a great deal. I'll say it, I paid $4k for it, not sure what anyone else paid, but as I posted in my researching threads, every company was seeking $8k. So I'm not sure what the lowest price you, or anyone else, would be able to get.
    I bet level10 would know the answer to the whole swapping tranny question. In theory it should be identical hardware. Didn't they reprogram your TCU as well?

    level10 puts up a tranny rebuild "kit" at $1000, a tranny rebuild done by them at $4000, and a whole new tranny for $6000.

    but yea +1 it's starting to look more like I'm going to need a rebuilt tranny if I go the RB turbo route.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I bet level10 would know the answer to the whole swapping tranny question. In theory it should be identical hardware. Didn't they reprogram your TCU as well?

    level10 puts up a tranny rebuild "kit" at $1000, a tranny rebuild done by them at $4000, and a whole new tranny for $6000.

    but yea +1 it's starting to look more like I'm going to need a rebuilt tranny if I go the RB turbo route.
    if you're serious about pushing the car to the limit then upgrading the tranny is a must with anything but stock turbos, that's a no brainer...you'll also probably need to get DSS axles to launch out of the hole properly, but that should get you covered..
    Click here to enlarge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Enrita, How do you like the level 10 rebuild? Any details on specific components, wear patterns, failure modes?
    look up for my thread here, lots of info there.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    558
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    What scares me is that I have heard some horror stories with Level10, and I definitely don't have a second car to use in the event that I have to get my tranny fixed repeatedly. I know LM and Enrita have had good results this far, but I'd like to see how the transmission holds up over say 2 years or so with a lot of hard driving before I committ myself to spending that much. Too bad manual swaps on this car are a PITA x 1,000,000
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    I say if you're going to upgrade the turbos, do yourself the favor, and upgrade your tranny. It'll make life easier, and in the end, take the worry from your mind. What's more expensive; the initial upgrade? or a repair+upgrade later? ..
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    558
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    I say if you're going to upgrade the turbos, do yourself the favor, and upgrade your tranny. It'll make life easier, and in the end, take the worry from your mind. What's more expensive; the initial upgrade? or a repair+upgrade later? ..
    I was under the impression that LM's tranny went bad before he got it built. Not sure if this added to the cost or not...
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    1,814
    Rep Points
    1,066.8
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    A little off target, but the manuals are fine on upped turbos as long as you dont run DR (which really only puts the half shafts at risk), right?

    Also, when digging around for this info on e90post, i came across this thread themyst started that was very educational on the first page. What I found interesting is, those that supported the flash are now on cobb and those that supported piggys are still on jbX/procedes. Its like even after all the changes during the year, folks dont change.

    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...mission+limits

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    maybe trade in to MT would be cheaper? You need anyway a stronger clutch on MT , how much is that including labor? 1500 USD?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    maybe trade in to MT would be cheaper? You need anyway a stronger clutch on MT , how much is that including labor? 1500 USD?
    Actually a good clutch and install is just around ~$1000 for me, when I chose to upgrade.. but I imagine lower or a bit more for others.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I was under the impression that LM's tranny went bad before he got it built. Not sure if this added to the cost or not...
    Oh, that I don't know, but would be good to find out.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    if you know the guys, at a regular shop (not some high end bull$#@! where they think they got the world by the balls) a clutch install on the N54 shouldn't be more than $350, not including parts...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •