Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Crazy. Someone had to do the work, I wonder who? Someone also had to tune it. This is driving me nuts, we have a working YSI with no details.
    I know, thats exactly how I was when I was asking him these questions. I was just like what the hell, I need answers! YSI 23 psi?!

Why does it eat belts so fast?
    It tries to slip. its a mini cog set up. It works though, he said it took a while to make this custom cog set up to work. Its a pretty sweet car. Come meet up with us at the caaravan event and hop into my car to big willow. The offer will stand keep me posted brotha..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    true true, i had my superchargers mixed up i was under the impression the si was the 1200 hp one and the ysi was thhe 700hp one so i was thinking no way a 700 hp supercharger could lay down 700rwhp i did some research and actually figured out my backwards thinking! This supercharger has alot more room as it can flow to 30psi and 1200hp!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's alright. We all get mixed up sometimes.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Speaking of s54's what have you been up to?
    Im recovering from knee surgery. Just trying to keep myself busy and get as much work done as I can. I'm starting back at school after christmas. I took this past semester off so i could have my surgery and have it not interfere with school.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    thats not Carmen Wizegi///m3's old car is it? he posted about selling the motor last august.
    No, this motor was rebuilt by someone. Not sure who.

Crazy. Someone had to do the work, I wonder who? Someone also had to tune it. This is driving me nuts, we have a working YSI with no details.
    I don't know if he works out of his garage or a friends shop. He has bought some parts from us, heat exchanger, tensioner pulley, etc.. I never asked who works on his car.

Why does it eat belts so fast?
    It has to be the way the pulley system is designed. A properly set up cog drive should hold belts for longer. It's tough to set it up right. The closest we have gotten to that is making a cog drive ring for our modular crank pulleys for a customer in Europe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    This supercharger has alot more room as it can flow to 30psi and 1200hp!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not on the S54, 23 psi is pretty much the limit. It can support 1200 hp on larger motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    It has to be the way the pulley system is designed. A properly set up cog drive should hold belts for longer. It's tough to set it up right. The closest we have gotten to that is making a cog drive ring for our modular crank pulleys for a customer in Europe.
    I hope I'm not going to have a problem with belts. Frankly, I wish I was using an F1-A or an F1-R instead.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope I'm not going to have a problem with belts. Frankly, I wish I was using an F1-A or an F1-R instead.
    Are you doing a cog setup? Is it too late to change your mind on the blower?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Are you doing a cog setup? Is it too late to change your mind on the blower?
    YSI is basically all that will fit they tell me. I just want it done. I have no idea if they are doing a cog although I wouldn't mind a cog setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    YSI is basically all that will fit they tell me. I just want it done. I have no idea if they are doing a cog although I wouldn't mind a cog setup.

Had a ASA supercharger kit, with a 6 pk v-belt. Slipped crazy as I raised boost over 7 psi.
    Had to install a custom belt tensioner. Helped a lot. But slippage was there once the belt got warmer. Was able to hit 10-11 psi but allways had the slippage issues.

Removed ASA supercharger.

Bought a supercharger kit from RG motorsport back in 2001.
    A vortech (race version labeled) and a cog belt.

With the vortech the 3.2L Euro felt fast. But the feeling lasted short.

Whenever I downshifted the cog belt got torn.

RG sold me 5 more cog belts and all were torn.

Under the hood thousands of belt-particles, all around.

Seller told me to check alignment and re-align. There was no adjustment feature with the RG motorsport kit.

Removed the supercharger and went with custom turbo.

I ve been told by blower experts that the cog belt MUST be inline with the crank pulley. Moreover the slack should be set properly.
    Some may say there are thousands of blower cars making 5000 -6000 bhp. And their belts survive. yes but these are not being driven on the road and they dont downshift.

Plus their belts are at least twice the size of my cog belt.

Superchargers, I like them but the belt slippage is a drama.
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No one here has mentioned crank snout cyclic fatigue due to high belt tension.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    No one here has mentioned crank snout cyclic fatigue due to high belt tension.
    I have no idea what that even is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    As the crankshaft rotates the bottom fibers of the crank journal experience tension. The top fibers experience compression. During one rotation the fibers reverse stress from tension to compression. This is called high cycle fatigue or HCF. The more tension on the belt, the higher the amplitude of your cyclic stress. Superchargers tend to have very high belt tensions, so you are essentially going to break the snout of your crankshaft off if you aren't careful (too much tension to keep belt from slipping).

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As the crankshaft rotates the bottom fibers of the crank journal experience tension. The top fibers experience compression. During one rotation the fibers reverse stress from tension to compression. This is called high cycle fatigue or HCF. The more tension on the belt, the higher the amplitude of your cyclic stress. Superchargers tend to have very high belt tensions, so you are essentially going to break the snout of your crankshaft off if you aren't careful (too much tension to keep belt from slipping).
    So, a cog setup is best then so you don't have to have super tight belts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Had a ASA supercharger kit, with a 6 pk v-belt. Slipped crazy as I raised boost over 7 psi.
    Had to install a custom belt tensioner. Helped a lot. But slippage was there once the belt got warmer. Was able to hit 10-11 psi but allways had the slippage issues.

Removed ASA supercharger.

Bought a supercharger kit from RG motorsport back in 2001.
    A vortech (race version labeled) and a cog belt.

With the vortech the 3.2L Euro felt fast. But the feeling lasted short.

Whenever I downshifted the cog belt got torn.

RG sold me 5 more cog belts and all were torn.

Under the hood thousands of belt-particles, all around.

Seller told me to check alignment and re-align. There was no adjustment feature with the RG motorsport kit.

Removed the supercharger and went with custom turbo.

I ve been told by blower experts that the cog belt MUST be inline with the crank pulley. Moreover the slack should be set properly.
    Some may say there are thousands of blower cars making 5000 -6000 bhp. And their belts survive. yes but these are not being driven on the road and they dont downshift.

Plus their belts are at least twice the size of my cog belt.

Superchargers, I like them but the belt slippage is a drama.
    This cock gobbler again Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, a cog setup is best then so you don't have to have super tight belts?
    Cogs still need tension. You can easily go overkill if you crank down your tensioner. If you need to much tension to keep a cog belt from slipping then you have other serious issues.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cogs still need tension. You can easily go overkill if you crank down your tensioner. If you need to much tension to keep a cog belt from slipping then you have other serious issues.
    I just don't want to deal with belt slipping and am wondering if a cog will be an issue with the DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    This cock gobbler again Click here to enlarge

well, motorcycle he makes his 60-130 pulls in crashed. since he cant make new 60-130 times he hasnt posted at all, i guess he finally just couldnt take it anymore.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cog belts do not need a lot of tension. They need to have a little slack.

My ten rib setup was not slipping. I did have to tension the belt about 5 times before it stayed tight. I guess it just took a little while before the belt stops stretching. With the serpentine belts, it's not so much about tension then it is about keeping the part of the belt before the supercharger pulley in contact with something. There is a gap on the belt before it reaches the supercharger pulley that is not touching anything. When you rev the engine up, it will begin to flap and the belt will essentially jump over the supercharger pulley. We ran a couple test on the dyno with a strobe light to find this out. With the new multi roller pulley setup we designed, any kind of slipping was pretty much eliminated. The belt would hold to 18psi. That's the highest I got with my supercharger pulley size.

Here is an example.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Is your car done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Holy crank pulley!

^ Is your car done?
    yes, please! more on this!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well cogs dont need as much tension as a ribbed belt, they still need some tension. If not they will flap around. Have you ever seen a slow motion video of a top fuel dragster blower belt? This is what a belt looks like, typically.

this is a little extreme, but it isn't that much different than what causes current belt setup problems.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lots of good info here.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Lots of good info here.
    This forum rocks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow their is simply no cooler noise then a YSI doing it thing!!!!! awesome!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12