Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

What i wanna know is why is cylinder 5 being the one affected? Its evenly spaced across from the TB , you would think #2 would have the same issues because its also the same distance away.

From what other people have said, 3 and 4 get the most meth while the outside banks get the least, but there shouldnt be a reason why only ONE cylinder is having timing dropouts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    hmmm...sounds promising but if you want the honest opinion, i think it'll be back...just don't see how what you've done could "fix" it, but in any case, good luck though...if it were me and the track was open I'd definitely take it there but this time get some weight reduction and DRs on the back and go for a record Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I've been dealing with this flatline issue since February, but there is a huge positive in all this, on the Procede or JB, I have NEVER had full expected advance. It would flatline negative and slowly creep back up. When I saw my timing recover normally today on a manual 6000 shift which is even earlier than I normally shift I w00ted in my car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    What i wanna know is why is cylinder 5 being the one affected? Its evenly spaced across from the TB , you would think #2 would have the same issues because its also the same distance away.

From what other people have said, 3 and 4 get the most meth while the outside banks get the least, but there shouldnt be a reason why only ONE cylinder is having timing dropouts.
    I don't think it's necessarily cylinder 5 for everyone. I think it's the luck of the draw for the most part
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge

Basically, I've seen dropouts in ALL the cylinders except 6. For some stupid reason, cylinder 6 NEVER drops timing which makes no sense. It's just cylinder 5 appears to be more frequent than the others.

I bet 100% every meth user running it on a piggyback would be shocked in what they see if they actually had the ability to log timing on all six cylinders. Hopefully Terry comes out with it soon. I'm not quite sure he will be looking forward to the "ZOMG I HAVE MAD TIMING KNOCKZ ON CYLINDER 3 AND 4 WHAT DO I DOOOO TERRY" e-mails coming his way when he does. Click here to enlarge

I believe I am the only one of record that provided significant Cobb stage 2 RACE datalogs on meth with all six cylinders... so it's difficult to compare my datalogs to others really. I'm not dropping timing in multiple cylinders simultaneously as THAT would be bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

For cylinder 5 could be a combination of the exhaust manifold design and oil gunk from pcv... otherwise good question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    For cylinder 5 could be a combination of the exhaust manifold design and oil gunk from pcv... otherwise good question.
    I have an OCC though, it's definitely catching oil. I'm just too lazy to clean it out lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I have an OCC though, it's definitely catching oil. I'm just too lazy to clean it out lol.
    your only catching on boost oil... off boost is contained within manifold reaching bank 2 first. DZ know's all about this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    your only catching on boost oil... off boost is contained within manifold reaching bank 2 first. DZ know's all about this.
    I skipped that whole OCC debate on shivpost because quite frankly, I thought he was chasing ghosts based on Shiv's assessment. If Shiv told me the sky was blue I'd think I was color blind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Here is a typical view of another log done today. No flatline! And no, those timing drops in cylinder 1 are traction related, not octane related.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I have noticed as well timing drops only randomly on either 2-3-4-5 , never on 1 and 6. Will try to do a reset adaptations and see . i actually thought the AP resets all adaptations after the install but maybe i am wrong?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    I have noticed as well timing drops only randomly on either 2-3-4-5 , never on 1 and 6. Will try to do a reset adaptations and see . i actually thought the AP resets all adaptations after the install but maybe i am wrong?
    I think it's very difficult for the car to run 100% perfect timing all of the time.

I remember seeing the same activity on stage 1 as well occasionally. Goes to show you can't conclude your timing is perfect by monitoring only cylinder 1 activity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I agree totally...hopefully the piggys will have the ability in the future to log all 6 like Cobb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I think it's very difficult for the car to run 100% perfect timing all of the time.

I remember seeing the same activity on stage 1 as well occasionally. Goes to show you can't conclude your timing is perfect by monitoring only cylinder 1 activity.
    Myst, i have logged all 6 cylinders on S1 aggressive, and all 6 cyl advance were identical not even a hair apart. There was a drop in the run where i had bad traction but they all dropped and went back up again at the same time with same values.

I dont know why im hoping to see otherwise lol, but feels weird.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I don't think it's necessarily cylinder 5 for everyone. I think it's the luck of the draw for the most part
    Yeah I know enrita has issues with #2, Im just saying in particular with Bens car...Ben is local to me, thats why I am curious..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

hah! Fellow E90post member reported the same timing flatline I have on Cobb Stage 2 pump! Rob needs to get on this!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

FYI, timing doesn't flatline on auto redline shifts, past 6500 RPM manual shifts don't flatline, anything below flatlines, and the earlier I shift the worse it gets. This is on Stage 2 RACE. Probably have the same issue with Stage 2 pump maps too, but haven't been testing that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

The only thing I see is you're landing the next gear at different RPMs which will translate into higher load the earlier you shift...so, early shift high post shift load, late shift and lower post shift load

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I just hope to god it's tune related. If it's TCU related I'm SOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

bumping this thread for @dzenno to provide updates. Finding a guinea pig was half his battle. If the guinea is fixed, then I will confirm Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

@themyst - how is the car running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. Weird stuff actually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Maybe this explains why the car feels like a dog when you go full WOT after a shift compared to when you go 90% throttle. Hmmm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm running Stage1+ Aggr. and in the logs I also see some timing correction post shift. But not always like OP themyst.

But I have a Manual gearbox. I have to make some more logs, maybe also with some E85. Maybe in my case they clear up everything.
    Probably not because the same things happen when I run Stage1+ Sport with VPower 100 RON.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I simply think that the timing "flatlines" stem from the fact that most tuners tune much more on dynamometers than on the road, so there are less gear changes Click here to enlarge

When I logged timing on all 6 cylinders (manual gearbox here), I noticed that the timing drops post-shift occur at lighter loads (the load post-shift is like 60, and it quickly climbs to maximum load). You just have to pull the timing in ATR for those loads (like 60-90) and RPMs and you will improve this issue a lot. But you can't just pull timing for certain loads and RPMs, you will also have to pull timing for surrounding cells (and thus keep the 3D map smooth). This will not generally affect the maximum power. I think that many Cobb OTS maps run a too strong timing for lighter loads, when it is not necessary. And this can be corrected via ATR.

But I have also noticed a type of bog where the ECU orders the boost to rise slowly after shift, like a transmission protection. But at that time (GIAC) I didn't have the possibility to log timing on all cylinders.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    But I have also noticed a type of bog where the ECU orders the boost to rise slowly after shift, like a transmission protection. But at that time (GIAC) I didn't have the possibility to log timing on all cylinders.
    In the US, its called "not turning DSC off." Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12