Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What a F-ing day!

Today, my buddy stops by with his 2011 VW CC to do some logs for APR. I recently put APR's K04 on this car and we were going to make sure everything looked okay. So, He does a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and I'm logging them with my lappy toppy. Everything looks good to go, the car is strong! This gets me in the mood for some hooligan $#@! so we jump in my car, a FBO 335. My intention was to show him what a "right wheel drive" car feels like, and go to map 6 on the JB4, since it is a 1/2 psi stronger than map2. I'm driving around on a few back roads and approach a right hand turn. I figured that it would be a good opportunity to show him an nice RWD drift or whatever they're calling it these days and I mash the gas in 2nd gear. The backend slides out nicely followed by a CEL and a NASTY misfire. I think damn. What now? I turn the car off and back on thinking it was in limp mode with no luck. The engine has a permenant miss. The worst thoughts go through my mind, thinking I lost an electrode on a sparkplug, maybe having it bounce around the combustion chamber, destroying a cylinder. I limp home and check codes...#2 cylinder is missing. Well, after an exhausting search for sparkplugs and the correct tool in town, I went home with nothing. At this point, I'm thinking I'm screwed until I get the parts shipped. I remembered that I have an old toolbox in the attic with sockets and I found a perfect 14mm 12pt deepwell that works perfectly for the plugs!! The socket is made by EASCO if you're looking for one. So anyway, I pull the #2 sparkplug and it looks just fine. I was happy at first then a little scared that maybe I lost a valve. I peep into the cylinder with a scope and everything looked fine. Whew. I then put everything back together and swapped coils from #2 to #3. The miss followed. So I have a bad coil. At this point I called the dealer back and they have one. My buddy is now picking it up, but damn. What are the chances of this happening? At the point I want to be cocky, the car nips that $#@! right in the butt. Anyway, I should have it all back together in about 20 minutes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    when im cocky $#@! breaks too. hence why i attempt to be humble at all times Click here to enlarge

glad its an easy fix though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So $85 and you're ok, right?
    I've had worse...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Heh, the last time I stomped on a 335 hard I got limp mode.

I don't know how you guys deal with this $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To be honest, I've never really had a problem with the 335 at all. The whole limp garbage goes back to the days of owning the GTI. The dealer didn't decide to rape me too bad on the coil -$71 out the door. I got it the new one put on about 5 minutes ago. PERFECT!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dodged a bullet there! Those misfires are always a PITA. =/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dang its like it knows! glad it wasnt too bad
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Glad it wasnt a tragedy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I read that I was thinking you wrapped it around a pole. A little $80 part is a much better alternative lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ohh man, that happened to me in my GTI once. I thought I literally blew my motor. It was shaking and misfiring like crazy. It was just an ignition coil. 55 bucks from vw, 5 minute fix. It scared the hell outta me too though.

How's that k04 cc btw. Do you like APR V2.0 software?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    ohh man, that happened to me in my GTI once. I thought I literally blew my motor. It was shaking and misfiring like crazy. It was just an ignition coil. 55 bucks from vw, 5 minute fix. It scared the hell outta me too though.

How's that k04 cc btw. Do you like APR V2.0 software?
    The CC feels pretty strong, about the same as my GTI did. I guess the newer software helps with the weight disadvantage that the CC has. MY Last GTI never had a coil issue, but my older 1.8T GTI had two coils go. It was pretty awful feeling coming out of a slide to a CEL and a misfire. I'm just glad it's all better, and it feels a little smoother than before, but that might just be me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not FBO, but just dci/jb4 - haven't had a limp in ages. *knocks on wood*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Not FBO, but just dci/jb4 - haven't had a limp in ages. *knocks on wood*
    Feels good doesn't it? lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I swear cars have an "ego meter" sometimes and when it registers too high, the car $#@! slaps up back to reality!

I can remember slamming a curb and destroying a rim once by drifting to show off.
    Also blowing up a fuel pump on my new (at the time) CLK after jumping on an e46 M3 on the highway--nothing looks more sad than doing a 130+MPH run and then limping to the breakdown lane!! Hahaha

Glad you got off cheap, but I'm sure the worry was enough to ruin your day.
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded