Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    148
    Rep Points
    196.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No

    National help a nub day - Exhausts (535i)

    So, I've been waiting for someone to declare a day "help a nub" but as I am still waiting for it to happen, I just did it myself.

    So, what I need help with is exhaust systems in general, and more specifically to the 535i (08). I've replace my DP's and am looking to redo the rest of the exhaust system, but am at a loss with what really needs to happen. It looks like 08 & 09 was a boom year for exhausts, but now there are very few choices. So, with that being said, i've been toying with the idea of just piecing one together (which is a pretty crazy idea considering I don't know alot about them).

    So, the goals:

    - Get good performance but keep some resemblance to a stock yet slightly more aggressive sounding exhaust.
    - My kids ride in the car with me so I won't delete the secondary cats - thinking about race cats
    - I have no problem paying for quality, but $1300 for a muffler seems like it's a bit high.
    - Get a few more HP out of the car

    What i'm thinking of doing.
    - Replacing secondary cats with race cats (need specifications though - i'm lost here)
    - Replacing the muffler

    Questions I have (feel free to point and laugh at my expense):

    - Do I need to change out the exhaust piping itself? Is there much benefit to this?
    - What specs for race cats?
    - What size is the OEM exhaust tubing?
    - What else am I not asking?
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Colinas, TX
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    185.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I had the same dilema. Ever since RPI stopped production on thier 535 exhaust there are no more true dual exhaust for the 535's. The only things out there are axle back and I wanted a full catback system. So I decided to order the magnaflow exhaust for the 535, not my first choice by all means. But i'm sure it will make me happy. It should be in my hands in the next week or two. Once I have it I will post up some sound clips. OP good luck with your exhaust endeavor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    148
    Rep Points
    196.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    I had the same dilema. Ever since RPI stopped production on thier 535 exhaust there are no more true dual exhaust for the 535's. The only things out there are axle back and I wanted a full catback system. So I decided to order the magnaflow exhaust for the 535, not my first choice by all means. But i'm sure it will make me happy. It should be in my hands in the next week or two. Once I have it I will post up some sound clips. OP good luck with your exhaust endeavor.
    Thanks Ramble! I will definitely keep an eye out for that clip! Any notes you can take on exactly what was replaced, any fitment issues and definitely the sound clip would be mucho aprpeciated! I can't rep you (still trying to get to that elusive 100 rep points) but maybe sticky will give you a thanks from me!

    One question - the catback system, does that replace or tie into the secondary cats?
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    324
    Rep Points
    467.6
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The exhaust shop I went to up in Elkridge, MD made a true dual quad tip exhaust for a 535i. Check out Benchmade Proper. It'd be a drive from Raleigh but sooo worth it. www.benchmadeproper.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,680
    Rep Points
    31,507.8
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    Ever since RPI stopped production on thier 535 exhaust
    Why did they stop production?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Colinas, TX
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    185.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why did they stop production?
    All RPI could tell me was that that exhaust was a limited run and they were not going to make it anymore.....
    I just had the magnaflow dual exhaust installed on my car and so far I am loving it. I will try and get some sound clips and upload later this weekend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,680
    Rep Points
    31,507.8
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    All RPI could tell me was that that exhaust was a limited run and they were not going to make it anymore.....
    Guess the market isn't all that large. They sold out of their run and that was that.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    I just had the magnaflow dual exhaust installed on my car and so far I am loving it. I will try and get some sound clips and upload later this weekend.
    Please do! This is just mufflers though?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Colinas, TX
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    185.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Guess the market isn't all that large. They sold out of their run and that was that.



    Please do! This is just mufflers though?
    Nope, this is a full cat back exhaust. Its a great set up, the 535 stock exhaust is a single pipe all the way back and the magnaflow is a true dual exhaust from the cats all the way back. It really makes a difference on my car!.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,680
    Rep Points
    31,507.8
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    Nope, this is a full cat back exhaust. Its a great set up, the 535 stock exhaust is a single pipe all the way back and the magnaflow is a true dual exhaust from the cats all the way back. It really makes a difference on my car!.
    I had no idea Magnaflow had a full 535 exhaust. That is awesome and yes I agree with you on the dual due to the N54 exhaust manifold setup.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    148
    Rep Points
    196.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    Nope, this is a full cat back exhaust. Its a great set up, the 535 stock exhaust is a single pipe all the way back and the magnaflow is a true dual exhaust from the cats all the way back. It really makes a difference on my car!.
    Ramble, would you mind elaborating on the difference you are seeing? What mods do you already have? Is the difference just audible or are you seeing performance differences as well?
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Colinas, TX
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    185.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    Ramble, would you mind elaborating on the difference you are seeing? What mods do you already have? Is the difference just audible or are you seeing performance differences as well?
    I also have the OE tune on my car, which pushes the boost to 13.5/14psi. Now when i get on it, i feel the car performs much smoother and my butt dyno can certainly feel an increase in power. I really think the stock exhaust (very limited breathabilty compared to the 335s) along with the tiny fmic are what holds the car back from performing on other x35 levels.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    148
    Rep Points
    196.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just wanted to give an update to the thread. I ended up picking up a magnaflow catback system from modbargains. Once I get it installed I will report back with some video and impressions. Will do a before and after video of the exhaust sounds. Currently I am running with my exhaust flap open (via bailing wire) and I like the sound so the exhaust is going to be more for performance. Click here to enlarge
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,680
    Rep Points
    31,507.8
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    Once I get it installed I will report back with some video and impressions. Will do a before and after video of the exhaust sounds.
    That is what we like to hear...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Colinas, TX
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    185.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    Just wanted to give an update to the thread. I ended up picking up a magnaflow catback system from modbargains. Once I get it installed I will report back with some video and impressions. Will do a before and after video of the exhaust sounds. Currently I am running with my exhaust flap open (via bailing wire) and I like the sound so the exhaust is going to be more for performance. Click here to enlarge
    You should like it. I do, it's pretty deep and sounds extemely nice at WOT. I had some issue with my tranny and the car was in shop until a couple days ago, so I haven't been able to get any videos clips of the exhaust. Before my car went in, I tried with my galaxy S 2 and it came out horrible.. Click here to enlarge I am Looking forward to the clips you can bring to the table.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •