11-08-2011, 01:15 PM #1
National help a nub day - Exhausts (535i)
So, I've been waiting for someone to declare a day "help a nub" but as I am still waiting for it to happen, I just did it myself.
So, what I need help with is exhaust systems in general, and more specifically to the 535i (08). I've replace my DP's and am looking to redo the rest of the exhaust system, but am at a loss with what really needs to happen. It looks like 08 & 09 was a boom year for exhausts, but now there are very few choices. So, with that being said, i've been toying with the idea of just piecing one together (which is a pretty crazy idea considering I don't know alot about them).
So, the goals:
- Get good performance but keep some resemblance to a stock yet slightly more aggressive sounding exhaust.
- My kids ride in the car with me so I won't delete the secondary cats - thinking about race cats
- I have no problem paying for quality, but $1300 for a muffler seems like it's a bit high.
- Get a few more HP out of the car
What i'm thinking of doing.
- Replacing secondary cats with race cats (need specifications though - i'm lost here)
- Replacing the muffler
Questions I have (feel free to point and laugh at my expense):
- Do I need to change out the exhaust piping itself? Is there much benefit to this?
- What specs for race cats?
- What size is the OEM exhaust tubing?
- What else am I not asking?2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth
11-08-2011, 02:03 PM #2
I had the same dilema. Ever since RPI stopped production on thier 535 exhaust there are no more true dual exhaust for the 535's. The only things out there are axle back and I wanted a full catback system. So I decided to order the magnaflow exhaust for the 535, not my first choice by all means. But i'm sure it will make me happy. It should be in my hands in the next week or two. Once I have it I will post up some sound clips. OP good luck with your exhaust endeavor.
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM #3
One question - the catback system, does that replace or tie into the secondary cats?2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth
11-08-2011, 07:41 PM #4Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
- Rep Points
- 8 Post(s)
- Rep Power
11-12-2011, 06:30 PM #5
11-12-2011, 06:54 PM #6
11-12-2011, 06:56 PM #7
11-12-2011, 07:04 PM #8
11-12-2011, 07:07 PM #9
11-13-2011, 03:10 AM #10
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM #11
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM #12
Just wanted to give an update to the thread. I ended up picking up a magnaflow catback system from modbargains. Once I get it installed I will report back with some video and impressions. Will do a before and after video of the exhaust sounds. Currently I am running with my exhaust flap open (via bailing wire) and I like the sound so the exhaust is going to be more for performance.2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth
12-01-2011, 04:41 PM #13
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM #14