Close

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    1 Series with Quad Tailpipes?

    So, this image is circulating the web, is it really that big of a deal? People seem to be equating a quad exhaust with an M car. M cars have not always had quad exhausts, E36 anyone? E34? E30? E28? Frankly, for an N55 I6 a large piped single would be preferred and more efficient. If this is a true dual exhaust based on a split manifold, it would mean the car is running an N54 and two turbos. Otherwise, the exhaust is just for looks. Here is the N54 twin turbo manifold to get an idea:

    Click here to enlarge

    If it is an N55 a dual exhaust would not make any sense for performance. Clearly, a hopped up 1 series is coming, with either of these motors. Just tell what it is called already, and let's get on with our lives.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    135is Click here to enlarge?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    If they end up using a remapped N54 or N55 I'm not interested.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    If they end up using a remapped N54 or N55 I'm not interested.
    What else could it be?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What else could it be?
    N55 with two turbos, hopefully larger than the n54 units, maybe with different valvetronic setup? Or maybe they used the N54 head with bigger turbos and some more aggressive cams? Could even be a N55 with a larger single twin-scroll. I really don't care as long as it doesn't choke itself, which seems to be the recent trend on non M motors.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    N55 with two turbos, hopefully larger than the n54 units, maybe with different valvetronic setup? Or maybe they used the N54 head with bigger turbos and some more aggressive cams? Could even be a N55 with a larger single twin-scroll. I really don't care as long as it doesn't choke itself, which seems to be the recent trend on non M motors.....
    If N55 definitely not two turbos, I don't see them redesigning all that with new manifolds and such. The N54 with new turbos would definitely make sense and that would not surprise me in the least.

    I think you are on to something with your thinking of a different set of turbos. A reflash is too easy and cheap to justify an M car as well as being something they already offer.

    This car has the potential to be something cool especially if they manage to make it look aggressive in the rear.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whales Vag
    Posts
    1,214
    Rep Points
    1.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    new engine. s55

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    My gut feeling it has to be a modified N54. Since the 335is is using the twin turbos, it only makes since for the so-called M1 to also use the twins. The quad exhaust makes sense if it is using the N54.

    Less weight, tighten up the chassis/suspension, EDC, DCT, LSD, brakes, M-interior, M-exterior (carbon roof, wheels, etc.), squeeze more hp/tq out the n54 (we all know that isn't hard). Poof, M 1-series.

    $#@!, just throw in the S65 and call it the new M-coupe.:twisted:
    Last edited by M3_WC; 05-14-2010 at 03:23 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    I thought it was generally accepted to be an N55 with two turbos...? Thought I remembered reading about that in an interview or something.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    I thought it was generally accepted to be an N55 with two turbos...? Thought I remembered reading about that in an interview or something.
    When was BMW talking about an N55 with two turbos?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    282
    Rep Points
    245.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    It's true that the E28, E30, E34, and E36 ///M cars did not have quad tail pipes. However, every ///M car after the E39 M5/E46 M3 has had quad tail pipes. (E90/2/3 M3, E60 M5, E63 M6, X5M/X6M, as well as both Z3/Z4 ///M Coupes and Roadsters)
    If the new ///M Coupe is going to be a true ///M car, it would only make sense for it to have the quad tail pipes: as it will fit right in with every recent and current ///M car.

    It will definitely have a tuned N54 or even a S54 TT. The N55 may be more efficient than the N54 but it does not put down power like the N54. (Keep in mind that is why the 335is and Z4 3.5is both kept the N54 instead of going to the N55)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    It's true that the E28, E30, E34, and E36 ///M cars did not have quad tail pipes. However, every ///M car after the E39 M5/E46 M3 has had quad tail pipes. (E90/2/3 M3, E60 M5, E63 M6, X5M/X6M, as well as both Z3/Z4 ///M Coupes and Roadsters)
    If the new ///M Coupe is going to be a true ///M car, it would only make sense for it to have the quad tail pipes: as it will fit right in with every recent and current ///M car.

    It will definitely have a tuned N54 or even a S54 TT. The N55 may be more efficient than the N54 but it does not put down power like the N54. (Keep in mind that is why the 335is and Z4 3.5is both kept the N54 instead of going to the N55)
    There was never an official statement or anything like that from BMW denoting that quad pipes equals an M. That is something this generation who forgets M history is focusing on and over-analyzing every piece of information provided.

    The exhaust system should be tailored to the motor not for looks.

    S54 TT? Well that is definitely not happening. I think tuned N54 is the right line of thinking as you stated.

    The N55 and N54 basically put down the same power. The 335is and Z4 stuck with the N54 probably just due to cost or production schedules, not anything to do with power.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    117
    Rep Points
    69.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    N55 is the production engine for the 2011 135i. I don't see them going backwards to the N54. I just wish they would make up their mind and build a M1 or 135is or whatever. I saw a 2011 135i today with the M sport package and DCT transmission and I really liked it. I have alway been a 135i fan but I would hate to buy a 135i and then have a M1 or 135is get released in 2012MY.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
    N55 is the production engine for the 2011 135i. I don't see them going backwards to the N54. I just wish they would make up their mind and build a M1 or 135is or whatever. I saw a 2011 135i today with the M sport package and DCT transmission and I really liked it. I have alway been a 135i fan but I would hate to buy a 135i and then have a M1 or 135is get released in 2012MY.
    Well said!

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't see cats from the angle of the pic, but like aforementioned...it may just be a split manifold.

    I would like to see a TT n55...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    I don't see cats from the angle of the pic, but like aforementioned...it may just be a split manifold.

    I would like to see a TT n55...
    TT N55, why? They have the N54.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    49
    Rep Points
    10.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    TT N55, why? They have the N54.
    x2

    I think they should do an n54 with bigger turbos from the factory. better parts such as a half way decent intercooler, oil cooler, and exhaust system should be added to help maintain the power so it won't heatsoak like hell on the track.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rcracer_tx Click here to enlarge
    x2

    I think they should do an n54 with bigger turbos from the factory. better parts such as a half way decent intercooler, oil cooler, and exhaust system should be added to help maintain the power so it won't heatsoak like hell on the track.
    Honestly, if they follow the M formula with turbos so far it will be something like an N54 with larger turbos. That means the advantage in tuning will be a platform that can go further with just a tune which is how the M cars will maintain their distance.

    Just my theory Click here to enlarge

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •