Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    Turbo is 99.9% going to require a standalone/piggy back. Turbo will take much longer to be completed. Turbo will cost the most. Turbo is uncharted territory on the s65.

I don't like the idea of a twins screw. These motors are made to rev and be linear, I like centi's better than screw's personally. The centi might be a lil hard to tune on the stock DME, but should be possible.

I think you shouldn't be one of those guys that there car is in the shop 10x more than they ever get to drive it. I would keep the setup you have right now. Stock motor with T-trim. Enjoy it for a while. See how Josh's and Alex's car do in the next coming months, then turn the boost up on your car and see it's limits before you build it and switch to a YSI. From the looks of it, the built motor YSI cars are going to make more power than you will need.
    I'm building the motor, since it will still be a while until the transmission is done I might as well take advantage of it. Plus, I already sold the supercharger.

Ya, the built motor YSI's are making a ton of power and I could take that setup to the next level. That will most likely be where I end up. We will see shortly, Alex was supposed to call me last week with what is going to be done but the guy is busy.

Did you mean to say twin screw will be a little hard instead of centri? These motors are made to rev and be linear yet you have a turbo which is NOT linear Click here to enlarge Torque is fun, and that is what a twin screw is, instant torque, and it is still linear just the curve is fatter everywhere. Centrifugals suck down low and off boost, the car feels sluggish at low rpm's like on the freeway.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If you like turbos I don't see why you would not be a fan of a twin screw.

If you could do it again though you said you would not have gone the custom turbo route. The only thing that would push me to to turbo would be the build would get BB a ton of attention.
    Why would I like a twin screw? A twin screw and turbo are 2 completely different things.. For big power 100% turbo...

If i did it again (which i wont) I would go straight to a built motor with turbo. I just wont modify a car like this at all anymore.. I definitely would not spend my time or money on doing a built motor with a supercharger whether it be a twin screw or centrifugal. For a stock motor thats perfectly fine, however if you are a power junky then you need a turbo or 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Why would I like a twin screw? A twin screw and turbo are 2 completely different things.. For big power 100% turbo...

If i did it again (which i wont) I would go straight to a built motor with turbo. I just wont modify a car like this at all anymore.. I definitely would not spend my time or money on doing a built motor with a supercharger whether it be a twin screw or centrifugal. For a stock motor thats perfectly fine, however if you are a power junky then you need a turbo or 2.
    Because they both produce big torque?

Turbos are always going to be best for big power, but, SC M3's are putting out HPF Stage 2 numbers on stock internals, pretty impressive. Built motor numbers are going to be pretty damn good as well, would not say you "need" a turbo or two but it definitely is preferable. Too bad the tuning would be a damned nightmare with who knowns how much down time to get everything done. I'm getting sick of being a guinea pig and getting sick of down time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes they both produce good TQ but that's about the only similarity. To me the twin screw is just good for low end use for reference, my Range Rover. They fall pretty damn hard up top.

All im saying is if you are going for the ultimate setup then you should nto be thinking anything but a turbo. For a stock motor a centri is perfecty fine, I started off that way as well. Sure you can build the motor and run more boost for the centri and make some nice numbers but if you want big power then turbo for sure!

I dont dicredit the centri's completely, I used to love them and i still think they are good for good power. Sticky you do realize with a centri on my S54 i made 503rwhp with 9.5psi? This is similiar to Drew's new m3. I also made 563whp with the centri and a small nitrous shot (later added more). Not to mention now they are making 520-530whp with the new AA kit? Im definitely impressed with the E9x SC M3 numbers but i wasnt aware that stock motor E9x's were making 600+whp (HPF Stage 2 numbers) yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes they both produce good TQ but that's about the only similarity. To me the twin screw is just good for low end use for reference, my Range Rover. They fall pretty damn hard up top.

All im saying is if you are going for the ultimate setup then you should nto be thinking anything but a turbo. For a stock motor a centri is perfecty fine, I started off that way as well. Sure you can build the motor and run more boost for the centri and make some nice numbers but if you want big power then turbo for sure!

I dont dicredit the centri's completely, I used to love them and i still think they are good for good power. Sticky you do realize with a centri on my S54 i made 503rwhp with 9.5psi? This is similiar to Drew's new m3. I also made 563whp with the centri and a small nitrous shot (later added more). Not to mention now they are making 520-530whp with the new AA kit? Im definitely impressed with the E9x SC M3 numbers but i wasnt aware that stock motor E9x's were making 600+whp (HPF Stage 2 numbers) yet?
    My car put down 565 whp on 7.5 psi. Trapped 130 thanks to the DCT which is right there if not slightly higher than what the HPF Stage 2's are doing, except for that one anomaly we all agree on. Basically, the car can hit 600 whp on stock internals and I would have with 9.5 psi which is what I was going to run.

Now, with built motors and bigger blowers, the M3's are well past that mark.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My car put down 565 whp on 7.5 psi. Trapped 130 thanks to the DCT which is right there if not slightly higher than what the HPF Stage 2's are doing, except for that one anomaly we all agree on. Basically, the car can hit 600 whp on stock internals and I would have with 9.5 psi which is what I was going to run.

Now, with built motors and bigger blowers, the M3's are well past that mark.
    Obviously the E9x will make more power with relative boost as it is a V8 and has larger displacement, no doubt about it. I believe stock motor vs stock motor they are very similiar, we dont know the limit of both stock motors (unless you do and i dont). I never had issues with the stock S54 running nitrous and high boost, beating on it with approximately 600whp.

If you want to stick with 700whp or less then a centri should be fine, i think anything above that turbo is the way to go! Playing with boost as opposed to pulleys is a whole different ball game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a quick question, which may also be stupid, but why is it so hard to tune the new M3 for a turbo vs a supercharger? The S65 is MAP, MAF or something else? Are people having trouble with A/F ratios while in vacuum, or while in positive pressure? Is it hard to get the ignition timing right with such dramatic changes in cylinder pressure?

I'm just trying to figure out why you would be able to force air through with a super-charger but not a turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I have a quick question, which may also be stupid, but why is it so hard to tune the new M3 for a turbo vs a supercharger? The S65 is MAP, MAF or something else? Are people having trouble with A/F ratios while in vacuum, or while in positive pressure? Is it hard to get the ignition timing right with such dramatic changes in cylinder pressure?

I'm just trying to figure out why you would be able to force air through with a super-charger but not a turbo.
    Same with the S54, turbo's are not linear power like superchargers. They are more difficult to tune, and normally turbo's require more fueling as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Same with the S54, turbo's are not linear power like superchargers. They are more difficult to tune, and normally turbo's require more fueling as well.
    So are you saying the tuned ecu cannot adjust A/F ratios fast enough to handle a turbo system? Why would they require more fueling, besides being able to generate more peak torque? With a built motor I'm sure the fueling issues can be solved anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, after my runs the other day, I change my mind! Go turbo with a piggy back!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mike now you know whats up! Its a whole different experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mike now you know whats up! Its a whole different experience!
    Vic, I always thought your car had too much power, but not no mo! I'd love to feel what 1000+rwhp feels like now
    Last edited by MSpiredM3; 05-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    So are you saying the tuned ecu cannot adjust A/F ratios fast enough to handle a turbo system? Why would they require more fueling, besides being able to generate more peak torque? With a built motor I'm sure the fueling issues can be solved anyway.
    You can put in larger fuel injectors but you have to make the ecu understand they are there and to use them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, my motor comes out Monday. Click here to enlarge

Seems we have this all figured out, car is going to be a nasty $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, my motor comes out Monday. Click here to enlarge

Seems we have this all figured out, car is going to be a nasty $#@!.
    So whats your power goals? You are officially going TS i presume?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So whats your power goals? You are officially going TS i presume?
    TS is just going to be too much work. You will like it.

I don't want to speculate so as to set a goal that may not be reached. I think you will be very impressed with the power, without a turbo. We'll see if I will be able to give you a good run depending on your boost.

I forget, what was your high boost number again? You aren't selling your car anymore, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Normally 28 psi or so making 900whp. Can go 32-35psi or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Normally 28 psi or so making 900whp. Can go 32-35psi or so.
    It will be fun when we compare. Click here to enlarge

You did not answer me if your car was still for sale or not. With the widening of the fenders and such I assume you have decided to keep it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can put in larger fuel injectors but you have to make the ecu understand they are there and to use them.
    Sticky, trust me, I know this, I've set up injector size, latency and pulse-width before, I just was trying to see why the community here was giving off a vibe that a turbo S65 would be next to impossible to tune.

Seems like you've changed your mind. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It will be fun when we compare. Click here to enlarge

You did not answer me if your car was still for sale or not. With the widening of the fenders and such I assume you have decided to keep it?
    So you are hoping to go for 1000whp?

Well, If the right offer comes why not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky you probably know that going turbo would be a huge PITA with that engine.

I am a little bias because I come from the mustang world, but I think you should try Twinscrew. It's rare for your engine and I think it will be an absolute monster. The flat torque that engine makes + boost everywhere will be a rocketship.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you are hoping to go for 1000whp?

Well, If the right offer comes why not.
    Nope, not 1000 whp, but enough that it will be fun to compare.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Sticky you probably know that going turbo would be a huge PITA with that engine.

I am a little bias because I come from the mustang world, but I think you should try Twinscrew. It's rare for your engine and I think it will be an absolute monster. The flat torque that engine makes + boost everywhere will be a rocketship.
    I do not disagree with you, twin screw would be a ton of fun and great to see. However, won't be happening.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm waiting to hear back from Gintani on the cost of the motor build, deciding between stock displacement low compression or a low compression stroker Click here to enlarge Don't need to do the stroker to have big power however why not go all out and fatten the curve, doing something that no one has done yet? I wouldn't mind showing PG how it's done or letting the old man know who he is trying to play with:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PencilGeek
    Eloy, I appreciate your comments. People like Sticky will make people like me refuse to do business with you -- no matter how good your product may be. And as you (should) know from marketing, for every one person like me who is bold enough to speak up, there are 50 just like me who are quiet and feel the same way. I would hate to see you lose business because this little kid is mouthing off and alienating your more affluent and intellectual clientele.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm waiting to hear back from Gintani on the cost of the motor build, deciding between stock displacement low compression or a low compression stroker Click here to enlarge Don't need to do the stroker to have big power however why not go all out and fatten the curve, doing something that no one has done yet? I wouldn't mind showing PG how it's done or letting the old man know who he is trying to play with:
    good $#@! sticky. subscribed to this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast