Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Smile Dinan Stage 2 tuned N63 F10 automatic 550xi goes 12.5@112

I went to the drag strip last night for the first time in my life. It was a lot of fun, but no matter what I tried ( Normal, Sport+, DSC OFF, sport shifting, manual shifting, short shifting, power braking, and just simple pedal stomping) my 550xi ran almost the same times back to back to back. Over the course of 10 runs they were all within 0.13 seconds (12.566-12.683) and within .78 mph (111.70-112.48).

The times were pretty good despite the total weight (~4,850lbs - fat car, fat driver, 3/8-1/2 tank gas, stuff in the trunk) and a headwind. My car stats as a way of introduction is a 2011 550xi with Dinan S2 and BBS RGRs/Michelin PSS as my only performance mods.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

In this heat the Charger ended up with 14.0s/101mph
    Click here to enlarge

I originally posted more info over at Bimmerfest in the F10 forum, but I don't have enough posts at BimmerBoost to include any links yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Amazing how consistent the runs are. Did you weigh your car, or are you guessing at 4850?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just guessing: Curb weight, my weight, 1/2 tank gas, air compressor and other junk in the trunk.

I didn't think to check if the track had a scale or not. It would be nice to know the exact weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    youre probably not too far off, mine was 4560 on the scale without awd, and with less gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dunderhi Click here to enlarge
    I went to the drag strip last night for the first time in my life. It was a lot of fun, but no matter what I tried ( Normal, Sport+, DSC OFF, sport shifting, manual shifting, short shifting, power braking, and just simple pedal stomping) my 550xi ran almost the same times back to back to back. Over the course of 10 runs they were all within 0.13 seconds (12.566-12.683) and within .78 mph (111.70-112.48).

The times were pretty good despite the total weight (~4,850lbs - fat car, fat driver, 3/8-1/2 tank gas, stuff in the trunk) and a headwind. My car stats as a way of introduction is a 2011 550xi with Dinan S2 and BBS RGRs/Michelin PSS as my only performance mods.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

In this heat the Charger ended up with 14.0s/101mph
    Click here to enlarge

I originally posted more info over at Bimmerfest in the F10 forum, but I don't have enough posts at BimmerBoost to include any links yet.
    Really well done! Going to put make this its own thread and probably give you some front page coverage as well. Nice work!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Really well done! Going to put make this its own thread and probably give you some front page coverage as well. Nice work!!!
    Thanks

Since all of this is new to me, how do drag strip times compare to GPS-based VBOX times that Car and Driver publishes? I would suspect that car magazines don't have any reaction time in their numbers since it is about the car capabilities and not the driver's skill. If that's the case, would 9 runs averaging 12.6 secs at 112MPH with an average reaction time of .4 secs equate to an average of 12.2 sec at 112 MPH for the car? Or putting it another way, if Car and Driver tested my car, would they come up with 12.2 seconds or would they come up with 12.6 seconds as I did? Or am I misunderstanding what reaction time means on the time slips?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    your et doesnt include reaction time. timing starts when you start moving and "trip the sensor"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    your et doesnt include reaction time. timing starts when you start moving and "trip the sensor"
    So on a Test and Tune night (not racing), I don't need to time it right (Green Light + 1/2 second), but I can go when I'm ready and get say a 2 or 3 second reaction time and it won't hurt my ET? I'll try taking my time next go around. Thanks.
    Last edited by dunderhi; 11-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So on a Test and Tune night (not racing), I don't need to time it right (Green Light + 1/2 second), but I can go when I'm ready and get say a 2 or 3 second reaction time and it won't hurt my ET? I'll try taking my time next go around. Thanks.
    Yep, reaction time is not factored in. You can sit there all you want and go when you want, won't change your ET or MPH.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Dinan Stage 2 tuned automatic and all wheel drive 550xi with the N63 twin turbo V8 goes 12.5@112 in the 1/4 mile

This comes hot on the heels of a manual rear wheel drive 550i running 12.9@112.9. It should shock nobody that the 550xi automatic was able to get a much better 60 foot than the manual rear wheel drive 550i that ran high 12's. This 550xi managed 60 foots in the 1.7X range which is very impressive. The best trap speed was 112.48 so slightly less than MPH than the RWD version which makes sense. The owner estimated the weight of the car with him in it in the 4800 pound range which is not exactly light. Running mid 12's is pretty nice in a luxury sedan on street tires with pump gas.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Nice times with the 550iX Dinan tune! Now, here's some comparo of the following BMW SUV with xDrive N63/S63:

2010-2012 F10 550i Curb weight of 1980kg (4365lbs)
    2010-2012 F10 550iX Curb weight of 2050kg (4519 lbs)
    2011-2012 E70 X5M Curb weight of 2435kg (5368lbs)
    2011-2012 E71 X6M Curb weight of 2415kg (5324lbs)
    2011-2012 E71 X5 xDrive50i Curb weight of 2390kg (5269lbs)
    Last edited by LW@MTG; 11-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn good times specially for such a heavy car. Nothing quite like going down the track for the first time huh? What was crazy to me when I went is how sedate the F10 feels going down the track. This car would be alot of fun on a mile course specially you guys with the Dinan tune and no top speed limiter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Nice times with the 550iX Dinan tune! Now, here's some comparo of the following BMW SUV with xDrive N63/S63:

2010-2012 F10 550i Curb weight of 1980kg (4365lbs)
    2010-2012 F10 550iX Curb weight of 2050kg (4519 lbs)
    2011-2012 E70 X5M Curb weight of 2435kg (5368lbs)
    2011-2012 E71 X6M Curb weight of 2415kg (5324lbs)
    2011-2012 E71 X5 xDrive50i Curb weight of 2390kg (5269lbs)
    Yeah BMW is making some heavy cars, but that's the penalty for the quietness, I pretty sure I was the only guy with an air intake that was designed for sound insulation. BTW, I weighed my car today while at the track: 4760lbs. The difference today was 1/4 tank less gas, and I emptied my trunk, so I think 4800lbs was pretty close for Friday night.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Damn good times specially for such a heavy car. Nothing quite like going down the track for the first time huh? What was crazy to me when I went is how sedate the F10 feels going down the track. This car would be alot of fun on a mile course specially you guys with the Dinan tune and no top speed limiter.
    Thanks. I really enjoyed going to the track Friday night, so I did it again today. One thing I noticed from two visits to the track, each time I drove home relaxed and not in a rush. Normally, I one of more aggressive drivers, but after running at the track, some cars actually passed me on the way home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I really enjoyed going to the track Friday night, so I did it again today. One thing I noticed from two visits to the track, each time I drove home relaxed and not in a rush. Normally, I one of more aggressive drivers, but after running at the track, some cars actually passed me on the way home.
    That is soooo true. Whenever I leave the track racing on the street has no appeal to me. Did you improve at all today? I don't think there's as much room for you to improve since your awd, but I'm dying to get back out to the track and get some good passes under my belt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    That is soooo true. Whenever I leave the track racing on the street has no appeal to me. Did you improve at all today? I don't think there's as much room for you to improve since your awd, but I'm dying to get back out to the track and get some good passes under my belt.
    I had two runs (out of 7) that were just a few fractions quicker, but I couldn't break 12.5 seconds. I need to go on a diet. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ 12.5@112.8.... nice! Great 60 foot too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah BMW is making some heavy cars, but that's the penalty for the quietness, I pretty sure I was the only guy with an air intake that was designed for sound insulation. BTW, I weighed my car today while at the track: 4760lbs. The difference today was 1/4 tank less gas, and I emptied my trunk, so I think 4800lbs was pretty close for Friday night.

Just so you know, all curb weights listed for European cars already include weight for a driver, some luggage and a 90% full fuel tank so that's probably why your estimate was a little high. Still, not a bad guess at all.

That beast was flying!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Just so you know, all curb weights listed for European cars already include weight for a driver, some luggage and a 90% full fuel tank so that's probably why your estimate was a little high. Still, not a bad guess at all.

That beast was flying!
    That must be with European-sized drivers. Click here to enlarge Do your remember the TopGear episode when they visited the US and introduced us to the Stig's big fat American cousin? The complete package weighs a bit more over here, well at least it does for some of us. I'm trying to convince Mrs. Dunderhi to do some runs for me; she could problably hit 12.3 seconds. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see you have been bitten by the bug aye? Click here to enlarge Excellent Job Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by car-fan Click here to enlarge
    I see you have been bitten by the bug aye? Click here to enlarge Excellent Job Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. Unfortunately, all of the tracks around here are set to close in the next couple weeks, so I'll have a few months to think about how to go faster. I'm still waiting for a CAI. During BimmerFest East, a Dinan rep mentioned they had a CAI in development that was worth 25hp. I know that's awfully high for a CAI, but our current intake is the most complicated one I have ever seen, so it might be possible.