Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    cp-e has great products and downpipe, IC, exhaust etc etc ....

I do not understand as they are capable of giving false information turbosClick here to enlarge
    I can't even get a hold of CP-E...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Unless ASR is going to cut off the stock turbos and weld on larger frame turbos (e.g. TD04), then they are wasting their time. I have about 7 Mitsubishi turbos in my garage, and 4 of them are our stock TD03 units. One of them has been disected pretty well, and I can honestly say that I am impressed with the results Rob has had with his turbos, considering the limitations of the stock housings. I really don't foresee much more power being RELIABLY pushed through those units.

Click here to enlarge

Actually, for a TD03 frame, I think our 10T compressor wheel is as large as they come from Mitsubishi. Yes we can continue to add larger compressor wheels (like a 19T with a new compressor housing), but the amount of compressor surge and backpressure will be retarded.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The only thing ASR does well is ripping people off...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    The only thing ASR does well is ripping people off...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    No spies here. Just common layman concepts that's all. None of which will amount to much as I've said prior. The turbine housing is still a small turbine housing, capable of only so much of flow. Nothing against ASR, in fact if any spies had ever contacted me they'd probably say that I've praised their efforts. I just think they waste much effort in areas that don't really matter (ie. several different styles of wastegate actuators, ever changing compressors, slightly different turbine housing maching strategies etc). It doesn't take a spy for this type of data when I can just read about how it's going to increase power by about 100rwhp to be the supreme Hybrid on BimmerBoost.
    haha well i thought i'd ask anyway. was interested in how you'd respond. and i sincerely doubt they are trying to be the 'supreme' twin-upgrade 'on Bimmerboost', or any forum for that matter, they just want to push the envelope as far as it'll go. and now with shiv making 628 on pump+meth, high 500's/low 600's on racegas+meth doesn't seem too inconceivable for ASR's new units, i mean, they made ~540wheel years back on v3 with the 'current' set-up! you're saying the makeover + v5 couldn't amount to more than ~50rwhp? it's very possible the turbine or compressor housing will limit it, and in that case i'm sure he'll adjust to make even more power. i really thank shiv for being the guinea pig when it comes to motor destruction. seems as far as the stock MAP sensor goes we're good to go. I'm certain once that's changed and we see more boost, especially from a single, something will break... i mean it's open deck! oh and fwiw, asr's units can go above and beyond 20-22psi as well, and still be efficient, unfortunately, i doubt he'll ever make a compressor map public.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Unless ASR is going to cut off the stock turbos and weld on larger frame turbos (e.g. TD04), then they are wasting their time. I have about 7 Mitsubishi turbos in my garage, and 4 of them are our stock TD03 units. One of them has been disected pretty well, and I can honestly say that I am impressed with the results Rob has had with his turbos, considering the limitations of the stock housings. I really don't foresee much more power being RELIABLY pushed through those units.

Click here to enlarge

Actually, for a TD03 frame, I think our 10T compressor wheel is as large as they come from Mitsubishi. Yes we can continue to add larger compressor wheels (like a 19T with a new compressor housing), but the amount of compressor surge and backpressure will be retarded.
    indeed the 10T wheel is quite large for the stock turbine. this is why torque drops like a rock on stock units when you tune and try to extract more power, the compressor does well, but the turbine falters. the turbine cannot flow what the compressor and engine can. asr's upgrade, just like rb's, has a larger turbine. the turbine to compressor ratio is less than that of stock (at least on asr's). with the new comp. wheel the ratio will be almost identical to stock, however both are bigger because the turbine is bigger, make sense? the way he explained it to me is the turbine has a chunk of room left on it, that the compressor is slightly too small (few mm's). just clarifying info for those members that are not as familiar with turbo talk. if you think i'm beating a dead horse that's fine, i'm quite happy to leave this discussion where it is and wait for the numbers. if asr cannot make much more than 540-550 i would be more than willing to take back all i've said and apologize for the high hopes amounting to nothing. now my question to you is would you do the same if they reach the goal i've stated? would you say all that you posted pertaining to this matter was incorrect and misinformed, etc etc? somehow i doubt it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    perfect smiley for the comment brey335i made.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 02-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I do agree with a ragged edge tune, race gas, friendly dyno, optimum conditions, all supporting mods, and for all they are worth, etc etc Glory Run... they should be able to achieve 550-575rwhp. I've said this for years regarding RBs, and am confident ASRs and TD2s are capable as well. I am just saying there is nothing more to do, and they are what they are... running around saying you are doing this or that is not going to change some fundamental facts of what hardware remains. So until he says he is replacing the whole turbo, there is not much value in discussing anything further about other minor changes. Hybrids are nice, they have their place that appeals to the majority of the folks out there who like their low end and quick spool and power increase at a fair price... but there comes a point when you seriously just have to realize they are only capable of so much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I do agree with a ragged edge tune, race gas, friendly dyno, optimum conditions, all supporting mods, and for all they are worth, etc etc Glory Run... they should be able to achieve 550-575rwhp. I've said this for years regarding RBs, and am confident ASRs and TD2s are capable as well. I am just saying there is nothing more to do, and they are what they are... running around saying you are doing this or that is not going to change some fundamental facts of what hardware remains. So until he says he is replacing the whole turbo, there is not much value in discussing anything further about other minor changes. Hybrids are nice, they have their place that appeals to the majority of the folks out there who like their low end and quick spool and power increase at a fair price... but there comes a point when you seriously just have to realize they are only capable of so much.
    Now if we could only have the best of both worlds and get a compound turbo setup on the N54. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So....

I know this is pretty much an n54 turbo upgrade thread.

Thought it'd be cool to point out that this specific downpipe is in my car Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ok discussion resume...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Can someone please create a upgraded twin turbo kit for the N54, for us that isn't drag racers and dont want to sacrifize response. It is a BMW the reason they didnt get turbo charged earlier was throttle response going down the drain. The N54 was/is a ok compromise but it cannot get much laggier than it is stock without being quite pointless (there is tons of big turbo good $/hp alternatives out there).

HPF did one for the E46 M3, please create one for the N54 as well Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i just want to go fastClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i guess time will tell, as always. but since it seems this discussion/thread will be cast into the graveyard without new posts i figured i'd respond. and afaik, everything on the (turbo) upgrade is being replaced/(re)machined, the only things staying the same are the exhaust housing and the turbine. otherwise i completely agree with your statement. these upgrades are capable of only so much, that amount is due to change when modifications are completed and tested.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turugara Click here to enlarge
    So....

I know this is pretty much an n54 turbo upgrade thread.

Thought it'd be cool to point out that this specific downpipe is in my car Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ok discussion resume...
    WTF is that? That's some huge ass downpipe!!! I guess 5", right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Now if we could only have the best of both worlds and get a compound turbo setup on the N54. Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't that be the ish....
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge

indeed the 10T wheel is quite large for the stock turbine. this is why torque drops like a rock on stock units when you tune and try to extract more power, the compressor does well, but the turbine falters. the turbine cannot flow what the compressor and engine can. asr's upgrade, just like rb's, has a larger turbine. the turbine to compressor ratio is less than that of stock (at least on asr's). with the new comp. wheel the ratio will be almost identical to stock, however both are bigger because the turbine is bigger, make sense? the way he explained it to me is the turbine has a chunk of room left on it, that the compressor is slightly too small (few mm's). just clarifying info for those members that are not as familiar with turbo talk. if you think i'm beating a dead horse that's fine, i'm quite happy to leave this discussion where it is and wait for the numbers. if asr cannot make much more than 540-550 i would be more than willing to take back all i've said and apologize for the high hopes amounting to nothing. now my question to you is would you do the same if they reach the goal i've stated? would you say all that you posted pertaining to this matter was incorrect and misinformed, etc etc? somehow i doubt it.
    I'm not saying that you are beating a dead horse, BTW; I think ASR is actually beating a dead horse. I imagine they can fit a bigger turbine wheel, but the turbine housing itself seems too small to get any more worthwile gains. I think RB, ASR, etc. have done all they can with that turbine housing. There are companies that can custom cast turbine housings if they are hell-bent on keeping the stock fit and appearance intact. Personally, I don't think it would be worth the extra cost.

Here's my idea (and being that Rob is the resident expert on the 3000GT turbos, his feedback would be appreciated): I would love to affix an upgraded TD04-9b turbo to our manifolds. I would probably go with the TDO4H upgrade on the exhaust side, and a 15T or 16T compressor wheel. I think in the TD04 housing (I believe it is a 5cm2), this combination would not only flow tons of power, but they would actually fit in the stock locations. You would have to modify DP's and intake tubes, so not something that would be highly marketable, but I think it would be a great cost effective custom project. If you wanted to go balls out, you could probably do a TD04HL-19T.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I imagine they can fit a bigger turbine wheel, but the turbine housing itself seems too small to get any more worthwile gains.
    i think you misinterpreted what i wrote. when i said 'the turbine has a chunk of room left on it' i didn't mean the turbine housing has room left to be bored out further and for a larger wheel to be used, i was referring to the current turbine wheel, and that it has room left for more exhaust to flow without creating back pressure. the turbine and housing are staying the same, for better or for worse, afaik. it is every other piece of the 'upgrade' that is being either replaced or re-machined, including of course the new, larger, billet comp wheel. otherwise your reply seems sound. i would also be interested in what rob has to say on the matter. how he could possible have a sort of 'high-output' version for a slightly higher cost that produces more power at the same boost level.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Okay, I did misunderstand then.

It would be impressive if they could wring even more HP out of those turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Eleventeen, RBs are a TD04L-15T... No bigger wheels will fit in either housing without significantly damaging the housings rendering them worthless.

And yes, if you tried to cut off the turbine housings off any other native TD04 Turbine housing you will have substantial work cut out for you. The OEM N54 Boysen Manifolds outlet VERY close to the block, so you'd have to be creative to get any other turbine housing to be placed in the correct area/geometry to work with any other of the components (including not interfering with the block). It would drive you into a total redo of the whole system. It would be a complete disaster, especially any attempt to do it on more than a one off basis. You are correct in that the induction tubes would not work, the downpipes would not work, the oil feeds/returns and coolant feeds/returns would not work. And that is after you got the turbos to mount and clearanced everything to make them fit. Unfortunately you move one thing around on this car, you are in for a ton of work.

I do agree about the TD04HL-19T, I have built many of them and it is the perfect size for a 3L all around. Man that would be an AWESOME turbo for this car and I would've built it already if there was a way to build one and be repeatable for a fair price. But as I said, it would require replacing damn near everything which would be much bigger $$$$$.

I could probably build a TD04L-19T and make it work using a bigger compressor housing, but I really don't like that match of wheels. I have done them before and they work well, but in a slightly bigger turbine housing so its not really the same thing as applied on the N54.

The match I use currently is the biggest that can be done, and compressor to turbine is a perfect match. Its just the cleanest match of components to use all around to install easy, gain a good improvement in power, and keep costs low as possible- even if it is a complete disaster to make it all work in itself at least to the end user its pretty straightforward.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

just saw this over at cobbs website:

Milestones

• AccessTUNER Pro Speed Density Released for 2.5L Turbocharged Subarus in January.
    • CP-E Selects COBB Tuning AccessPORT as Primary Engine Management Solution for MAZDASPEED and BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Ohhhh now that's interesting Click here to enlarge wonder if those Disco Potato TWINS and that sick ass manifold will make it on a test car soon...that'd be a total dream setup....(saliva dripping uncontrollably)..

730 wheel with superb low end spool as well as top end power and a nice flashy flash with a JB4 meth boost safety wired in...done and done!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234