Close

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Points
    2,104.2
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No

    Question The Pros/Cons of an Oil Catch Can on a NA S54

    hello Everyone
    I have always wondered about the Pros/Cons of installing an Oil Catch can on a NA car. I have been looking at the HPF Kit and am curious to hear your thoughts on Oil Catch cans on NA Cars like the M3 S54. I have an OEM CSL Intake running EVOLVE's MAFLESS Tune and Full exhaust system. My car is a EURO SPEC car running US 91/ EU 95 fuel and made 298rwhp on a dyno jet in 55c/131f temps.

    The HPF Kits is the best quality I have seen and I will be installing it on the Fire Orange M3 in the other thread. So what do you guys say? Yah or Nah? LOL

    Ejaz
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Cons: dealing with it/install/weight

    the cons are minimal
    The point of it is to use the intake vacuum to pull on the crankcase without getting that vac source oily. In naturally aspirated form, the stock cyclone works quiet remarkably, it does catch-can work. In HPF cars, their built motors are somewhat loose race motors with wide ring gaps and most likely undergo significant crank pressure release through the breathing system and fluid comes out of the top of it when getting pulled on by a large compressor wheel... and it yields oily pipes.

    If you're adding FI, then it might become more meaningful, but unless you're going pretty big power, the stock part works well.

    Still there's no significant downside, perhaps, just perhaps a lack of necessity.
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Points
    2,104.2
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    Cons: dealing with it/install/weight

    the cons are minimal
    The point of it is to use the intake vacuum to pull on the crankcase without getting that vac source oily. In naturally aspirated form, the stock cyclone works quiet remarkably, it does catch-can work. In HPF cars, their built motors are somewhat loose race motors with wide ring gaps and most likely undergo significant crank pressure release through the breathing system and fluid comes out of the top of it when getting pulled on by a large compressor wheel... and it yields oily pipes.

    If you're adding FI, then it might become more meaningful, but unless you're going pretty big power, the stock part works well.

    Still there's no significant downside, perhaps, just perhaps a lack of necessity.
    Thanks for your detailed view bro. I thought the same and guess their oil cathc can looks so sexy that i wanted to justify getting it without going FI. LOL.
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    the cons are minimal
    This.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deland, FL
    Posts
    165
    Rep Points
    273.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The biggest downside in my opinion is that the cyclone drains the oil back to the pan, and keeps the intake clean (usually as well or better than a catch can). The catch can not draining to the oil pan means you have to service it (annoying).

    Unless you are boosted and need to move more air than the stock cyclone can handle (modified slightly to deal with boost) you go to a catch can, no reason to do it sooner (add weight and work for no benefit?).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    The biggest downside in my opinion is that the cyclone drains the oil back to the pan, and keeps the intake clean (usually as well or better than a catch can). The catch can not draining to the oil pan means you have to service it (annoying).

    Unless you are boosted and need to move more air than the stock cyclone can handle (modified slightly to deal with boost) you go to a catch can, no reason to do it sooner (add weight and work for no benefit?).
    some catch cans actually have drains. The catch can i used actually had one, i just closed it off b/c i didn't want to deal with more tubing to the under-manifold area and dont mind draining it. And keeping the goo that makes its way up with the breathing of blowby away from my crankcase is nice too. However, given an unbaffled catch-can setup, with a drain will most likely result in a mess. This is where the cyclone shines until it is overwhelmed with crankcase pressure.
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    143.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    arhh i dunno some times i genuinely think some things are alittle bit of a waste of time.... ok my car has been supercharged for 2.5+ years, first with stage 1, i tracked the car at least 15 times in that ownership, now on stage 2 running 8psi theirs hardly anything in the boost pipes just a very fine mist....and i mean very fine.....it keeps the TBs nice lubricated and after opening up the cam cover i can see their is a sort of stock seperator built in, so most of its seperated anyway by this stock piece built into the cover...... imo spend your money elsewhere.......

    more weight and another thing to maintain, i for one will be leaving my breather connected to my supercharger intake.......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    a cheap catch can is $50. If it's necessary, it's necessary. I'm not familiar with your setup, but it sounds like you have an s54 (where the cyclone is in the valve cover). And if you're running a stock engine and only pushing boost at redline, more specifically, running an alpha-n setup as many s54 s/c system have- you're absolutely right, a catch can is unnecessary. For people like me, where air is metered in the chargepipe right before the throttle body, that light mist you're getting isn't wanted. And a $50 catch can will do a hell of a job fixing that issue. While the HPF setup is nice as hell, you're paying for quality parts beyond what is necessary- largely to achieve very good looks. I prefer a larger catch can with baffles/media/foam... the HPF is baffled with a steel wool setup. You can piece it together cheaper with parts directly from the manufacturers, but it wont say HPF. Nothing wrong with the HPF part, but it is a bit costly.
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Points
    2,104.2
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Yes Reputation No
    Some great info here Guys. Thanks for all your inputs. I shall not be getting a catch can Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    143.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    a cheap catch can is $50. If it's necessary, it's necessary. I'm not familiar with your setup, but it sounds like you have an s54 (where the cyclone is in the valve cover). And if you're running a stock engine and only pushing boost at redline, more specifically, running an alpha-n setup as many s54 s/c system have- you're absolutely right, a catch can is unnecessary. For people like me, where air is metered in the chargepipe right before the throttle body, that light mist you're getting isn't wanted. And a $50 catch can will do a hell of a job fixing that issue. While the HPF setup is nice as hell, you're paying for quality parts beyond what is necessary- largely to achieve very good looks. I prefer a larger catch can with baffles/media/foam... the HPF is baffled with a steel wool setup. You can piece it together cheaper with parts directly from the manufacturers, but it wont say HPF. Nothing wrong with the HPF part, but it is a bit costly.
    yeah thats far, i think if i had my MAF in place i probably would do it, as i run Alpha n tuning its just not needed for me....... However if i could get one of those catch cans that are built into the header tank id happily get one, @ the same time it would be nice to get an all alloy headertank with sight glass for the coolant level / with built in catchcan section for the perfect neat solution, a few r35 GTRs are doing this and it looks great and performs really well......... on top of that my z4m intake side is very cramped with all the blower pieces their :-)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    what s a header tank? where does it go? what does it do?... You're not in the America are you? headertank sounds like Australian? Or I'm just out of the loop....
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    143.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    what s a header tank? where does it go? what does it do?... You're not in the America are you? headertank sounds like Australian? Or I'm just out of the loop....
    im in the uk :-) coolant tank is what im talking about, specifically the z4m euro setup :-) imagine a built in catch can added onto the coolant tank, perfect solution for me, im currently getting an alloy unit fabbed with sight glass for the coolant side of things and level for the catch can..... right now my intake breather is routed straight back to my v3 si trim :-)

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by beedub; 11-11-2011 at 07:05 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beedub Click here to enlarge
    im in the uk :-) coolant tank is what im talking about, specifically the z4m euro setup :-) imagine a built in catch can added onto the coolant tank, perfect solution for me, im currently getting an alloy unit fabbed with sight glass for the coolant side of things and level for the catch can..... right now my intake breather is routed straight back to my v3 si trim :-)

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...dbaby020-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...dbaby021-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...parts025-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...parts009-1.jpg
    The FMIC looks great/mean!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    143.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The FMIC looks great/mean!
    thanks, it does a very good job as well :-) above it is the setrab oil cooler..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    the ess and aa intercooler s54 setups are soooo similar, it's kinda scary.

    your z4 looks great! Love the Stack gauges, my gauge of choice as well.

    We call a catch for coolant an "overflow" bottle, but that may just be stateside.
    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    143.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    the ess and aa intercooler s54 setups are soooo similar, it's kinda scary.

    your z4 looks great! Love the Stack gauges, my gauge of choice as well.

    We call a catch for coolant an "overflow" bottle, but that may just be stateside.
    i actually mean an oil catch can, just built onto the side of an alloy stock mounting postiton coolant tank, its basically just a neat way of packaging your oil catch can, especially on cars low in space like my z4m, i also love the oem look..... im getting one built as we speak, i will post pics for you:-) so to clarify this is a coolant tank in the stock dimensions with an added section for an oil catch can obviously completely independant of the coolant section. :-)

    the stack units are awesome, the wideband AFR in the middle is just pure genuis with endless features.....

    500+ horsepower in the little z4m feels suitably bonkers!!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •