Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If there was a pdk turbo sitting in front of my house I wouldn't be spending much if any time on the computer either Click here to enlarge
    Client's car, otherwise I'd be pummeling it into the ground Click here to enlarge

The C2S on the other hand is available to be driven 24/7 courtesy of my best friend Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those O-Rings are sexy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Maciej Click here to enlarge
    Everything BMW gets taken care of through Bavarian Solutions, but he is THAT good. He can improve the S65 head, I believe that we have an S65 in the shop at the moment getting built. I'll ask Dave to chime in tomorrow morning.
    When you get a chance, please follow up with Dave to chime in on the S65 heads. My motor comes out next week and I am considering sending my heads to headway performance if they can improve on the stock heads significantly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send me a PM with your contact number, Ill give you a call tomorrow while Im at the shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Send me a PM with your contact number, Ill give you a call tomorrow while Im at the shop.
    You have a PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    PM sent for pricing schedules.
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Do you guys make solid lifter conversions for the s50/s52/m50/m52 based heads? If you have what you rev'd them to?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Do you guys make solid lifter conversions for the s50/s52/m50/m52 based heads? If you have what you rev'd them to?
    We do, Dave would know more about how high it's been rev'd to, but I know for a fact it was over 9k rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

We do, Dave would know more about how high it's been rev'd to, but I know for a fact it was over 9k rpm.
    How do the cranks hold up at 9k rpms?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do the cranks hold up at 9k rpms?
    Secret BavSol sauce Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would love to stop by the shop 1 of these days to see what is cooking over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...have a '10 997 Turbo PDK sitting in front of my house on a trailer for work that needs to be done...
    ...and the address is? lol
    ....interesting....makes me verrrrrry curious as to what something like that costs. Minus the expensive cams and heavy porting, etc...just with a good valvetrain and the solid lifter setup.
    | Finally I got a photographer to take some decent shots from the beach. Me 8/22/2010 loving San Diego! |
    | TRM | The Racers Market | Turbo M3 | 559whp@18psi | Dynojet Confirmed 6-1-2010 |
    | Video of the session when the pic above was taken! In HD! |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by highboostingm3 Click here to enlarge
    ...and the address is? lol

....interesting....makes me verrrrrry curious as to what something like that costs. Minus the expensive cams and heavy porting, etc...just with a good valvetrain and the solid lifter setup.
    The only thing about the solid lifter setup is you lose the vano's, so I'm not sure it will help under the curve(supra's do ok without vano's right).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no sense to revving up that high with factory components are they are inefficient at those RPM levels hence the factory rev limit of 7200 RPM. In order to properly make use of that RPM, porting, valvetrain upgrades, and camshafts are necessary.

The only thing about the solid lifter setup is you lose the vano's, so I'm not sure it will help under the curve(supra's do ok without vano's right).
    You do not lose VANOS with a solid lifter setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

There is no sense to revving up that high with factory components are they are inefficient at those RPM levels hence the factory rev limit of 7200 RPM. In order to properly make use of that RPM, porting, valvetrain upgrades, and camshafts are necessary.

You do not lose VANOS with a solid lifter setup.
    That makes it an even better whoring mod. What is the price for something that awesome?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK well let's say my head currently has Ferrea valvetrain, heavy porting, Elgin s52 regrinds. If I sent my head with all that how much would it cost to get it back set up with solid lifters?
    | Finally I got a photographer to take some decent shots from the beach. Me 8/22/2010 loving San Diego! |
    | TRM | The Racers Market | Turbo M3 | 559whp@18psi | Dynojet Confirmed 6-1-2010 |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK well let's say my head currently has Ferrea valvetrain, heavy porting, Elgin s52 regrinds. If I sent my head with all that how much would it cost to get it back set up with solid lifters?
    PM me your email address and I'll have Dave send you an email.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

would it be possible to get some of the specs on Daves car posted here. I did see it in person, and noticed it is rocking some nice hardware.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cam, lifters aren't the issue with the these cars and high revs, its the harmonics in the bottom end. Why waste your money on solid lifters?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Cam, lifters aren't the issue with the these cars and high revs, its the harmonics in the bottom end. Why waste your money on solid lifters?
    That is the short answer. I would love the full answer as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, you asked about the crank, and he said secret bavsol stuff, which I understand.

But that doesn't answer why Cam would get solid lifters without any work done to his crank to improve the harmonics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, you asked about the crank, and he said secret bavsol stuff, which I understand.

But that doesn't answer why Cam would get solid lifters without any work done to his crank to improve the harmonics.
    Because everything was balanced and Secret BavSol Sauce doesn't really give me anything. All I can think of is possible knife edging but I haven't heard of anyone doing that other than I with my previous m50NV motor so I doubt that is what is necessary. If it's balanced, then what else could you do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because everything was balanced and Secret BavSol Sauce doesn't really give me anything. All I can think of is possible knife edging but I haven't heard of anyone doing that other than I with my previous m50NV motor so I doubt that is what is necessary. If it's balanced, then what else could you do?
    Search on bfc... there was a thread in the track section on it last week, and there is more information in that part of the forum than F/I.

If I can find it I will edit this post with the thread. It doesn't have anything to do with balance and blueprinting the engine. Its the inherent harmonics. It needs a dampener.

Edit: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...66&postcount=8

There you go Cam. You need to search that topic. I have never seen Mike McCoy talk specifically about it, but he has said, in general, the same thing that Mad Dog says here. The lifters are not the issue. The track guys have a lot more experience with this than f/i guys do, imo. Not saying you couldn't get away with it, especially for shorter periods, but its not something I would put my car through.
    Last edited by tron; 06-11-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Search on bfc... there was a thread in the track section on it last week, and there is more information in that part of the forum than F/I.

If I can find it I will edit this post with the thread. It doesn't have anything to do with balance and blueprinting the engine. Its the inherent harmonics. It needs a dampener.

Edit: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...66&postcount=8

There you go Cam. You need to search that topic. I have never seen Mike McCoy talk specifically about it, but he has said, in general, the same thing that Mad Dog says here. The lifters are not the issue. The track guys have a lot more experience with this than f/i guys do, imo. Not saying you couldn't get away with it, especially for shorter periods, but its not something I would put my car through.
    This is correct. The cranks are rated not to rev over 7,250 rpm's I believe. I recall hearing the sun belt cams would allow motor to rev to 7400rpms, and I used to say isnt that over limit the crank is rated for? Here is another thought(just a thought) maybe the cranks are under rated from the factory? It would be great for Bav to chime in here on the crank info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty sure manufacturers don't specify "ratings" on parts. They produce them to X specification and within Y threshold depending on what that part is used for. We then do whatever we do when modifying these cars and see what the part can handle.

For instance, many cars with redlines under 7k rev to over 9-10k on stock cranks. Our stock rods handle 600+whp. Certainly, neither of these examples are how the manufacturer intended the part to be used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast