Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial New Jersey

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...in-new-jersey/

Official press conference going on now Live on SPEED.

WOW!!!!!!!
    Last edited by LZH; 10-25-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Steve Matchett just KILLED it - fantastic intro to F1. This is going to be AMAZING.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It looks like the US is getting another F1 grand prix. This time the race which will be held in 2013 will be in New Jersey.

First link is the announcement and track layout
    http://jalopnik.com/5853240/new-jers...n-google-earth

This one is a drive around the proposed track
    http://jalopnik.com/5853106/watch-ou...f1-race-course

Kinda bummed about it I was hoping F1 could make a return to Long Beach or even start racing at Leguna Seca.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Moved to general automotive and motorsports because this is a bigger deal than just Mercedes.

This is crazy though, what about the Texas track that is being built with F1 in mind? This will undercut them?

I do like the idea of using public streets though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The Texas track is being built for more than just F1, They're also be hosting MotoGP, American Lemans series, driving schools, daily tracking, concerts and automotive institutes. The New Jersey GP will be a temporary circuit and will only be used for F1 for now.

I like the layout of the Austin track alot more, it brings alot elements of the old F1 circuits mainly the Austrian Red Bull circuit(formally the A1 circuit), The New Jersey one was supposedly made via google earth.

Now I'm gonna have to plan my vacations back to Houston during the Austin race
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    The Texas track is being built for more than just F1, They're also be hosting MotoGP, American Lemans series, driving schools, daily tracking, concerts and automotive institutes. The New Jersey GP will be a temporary circuit and will only be used for F1 for now.

I like the layout of the Austin track alot more, it brings alot elements of the old F1 circuits mainly the Austrian Red Bull circuit(formally the A1 circuit), The New Jersey one was supposedly made via google earth.

Now I'm gonna have to plan my vacations back to Houston during the Austin race
    Interesting, but the New Jersey plan sure seems more cost effective and creating. A US Monaco style GP would be badass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It will be cost effective and the layout looks really good. But Monaco is in a league of it's own. The whole atmosphere the history, the coastal view, city's landscape, yahts, women, and celebrities Monaco brings makes the race amazing. I'm afraid the most New Jersey will bring is the cast of the Jersey Shore.

I wish the New Jersey and Austin races succeed, F1 has had a hard time trying to catch people's interest in the US. It's sad, because F1 by far is better than NASCAR and Indy series combined.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

F1 has had a hard time trying to catch people's interest in the US. It's sad, because F1 by far is better than NASCAR and Indy series combined.
    The problem is the majority of American people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The problem is the majority of American people.
    That's the problem with the US, it's full of 'Mericans...

This will however be a HUGE source of revenue for NJ and Chris Christie was integral in making it happen. He was very cool in the press conference and had some funny comments for Matchett. I don't however agree that it will be the cast of Jersey Shore...I realize that was a bit tongue in cheek comment but with Manhattan 8 mins away by ferry, NYC being one of the wealthiest cities in the world and the heart of finance, media, marketing and advertising...it will draw the usual high-falutent crowd that we see at ever F1 event.

As far as the track layout goes...I always like a dedicated circuit over a temporary street circuit. I think this track is going to have some great natural scenery and elevation changes running through the Palisades though - not sure how they are going to manage runoff areas considering how densely populated that area is and the residents are for SURE not going to be very happy about it LOL. But with Manhattan as the backdrop it will for sure be a sight to see. I can't wait to be there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    I can't wait to be there.
    Same. I'll be sure to tag along with all the ballers under the guise of reporting lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yeah I was joking about the Jersey Shore comment. Going to F1 races is by far the best experience I've ever had. I really hope F1 becomes popular in the US, cause that will mean we might see US F1 teams and drivers in the future.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

F1's popularity took a huge hit in the USA with the Indianapolis F1 race in 2005, with the Michelin tire problem, which resulted in a race with only 6 cars on Bridgestone tires. The most ridiculous F1 race ever.
    To have 2 races in the US will be very good for the popularity of F1 in the US. I'm just curious which race will be canceled to accomodate this one. I can not imagine F1 having to do 21 races in a year.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I remember that race, it was a complete joke, Ferrari didn't help with what they did either.

Some races will have to go. the teams are dead set on 18-19 races a year. But Bernie doesn't care, he just wants the money. Besides the Concorde agreement expires at the end of the 2012 season, so who knows what will happen.

There's a number of races on the chopping block. There's talks of Valencia going away. The Spain organizers are pushing Bernie to cancel it since they are taking heavy losses. Turkey, Korea, Bahrain are taking losses too. So far the India organizers are projecting losses, they've slashed ticket prices and are practically giving away right now.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I remember that race, it was a complete joke, Ferrari didn't help with what they did either.
    Most USA car fans remember that race unfortunately.
    I for one would really like to see the Valencia GP vanish from the calender. Turkey would be fine with me too. Not the most exiting layouts for a race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I for one would really like to see the Valencia GP vanish from the calender.
    Why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Valencia is a very boring circuit and provides no excitement. There's really no room for overtaking, only 4 since 2008.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Who designed such a crappy track in the first place?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It was designed by Herman Tilke. He's been designing circuits since the 90's. He designed all of the newest F1 circuits. He's also overseeing the designs of the 2 new American F1 circuits. I don't blame him that much for Valencia, since he didn't have much to work with anyway and was somewhat forced to design it by Mr Bernie "All I Care about is Money" Ecclestone and the Spain GP organizers.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

It was designed by Herman Tilke. He's been designing circuits since the 90's. He designed all of the newest F1 circuits. He's also overseeing the designs of the 2 new American F1 circuits. I don't blame him that much for Valencia, since he didn't have much to work with anyway and was somewhat forced to design it by Mr Bernie "All I Care about is Money" Ecclestone and the Spain GP organizers.
    Isn't it all a big waste though if they lose the F1 race?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

For the Spanish organizers it is, but at this point they want to get rid of it, before they lose any more money. For Bernie, he doesn't care, he already made his chunk of money from it.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Why?
    Not much to add to what Scourge said.
    This year's race was the very first Valencia race worth watching, and only due to KERS, DRS and Pirelli tires.
    All other races there were downright boring as hell. Only exitement last year was the Webber flyover.

Plus, I do not see why Spain gets 2 GPs, the whole circuit does not have any atmosphere (ok, you can breathe there but that is about it), and it is a boring concrete surrounded layout.
    Tilke deserved a well placed kick in the groin for that one.
    Enough rant, it will disapear from the calender, and good riddens.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I know a few people who were behind the scenes and working this for some time. This is great for NJ, great for F1 and great for sports as a whole. Expanding the US base for F1 is critical for them and I am a fan for sure, I know my pit access will be there and for a few friends as well. Cant wait to see this really jump off...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The latest news is that Bernie Ecclestone will scrap the Austin F1 race november 2012 off the calendar.

The Austin fight goes public

November 15, 2011 by joesaward

The questions about the planned United States GP in Austin, raised by remarks made by Bernie Ecclestone in Abu Dhabi, have resulted in some interesting public revelations in Texas. The state Comptroller Susan Combs confirmed that no state funds would be paid out in advance of the event. The plan had been for the first year payment to be made before the event and then money coming in would offset the investment. It seems that this is also part of a dispute between the Circuit of the Americas and Tavo Hellmund, who holds the contract to run the race.

“It’s no secret that I’ve supported Texas hosting a Formula One race since 2008,” she said. “I believe a well-organized event of this magnitude can be a tremendous benefit to Texas if done right. Investors, businesses and event organizers want to come to Texas because we’ve developed an economic climate that is attractive, our state is a great location for events, and we’ve got space and potential to grow. A tool for recruiting large events to the state is the Major Events Trust Fund (METF), which was created by the Texas Legislature in 2003. In the past two years, eligible METF recipients have included the NFL Super Bowl XLV, the NBA All-Star Game and the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Final Four tournaments. The support provided by the METF comes from sales, hotel, beverage and other tax revenue generated by out-of-state visitors who attend the event. When the United States Grand Prix was formally announced, it was the only Formula One race scheduled in the U.S.

During the past 18 months, organizers have taken many steps to bring high-profile motor racing to Central Texas, including the development of the Circuit of the Americas, and the announcement of the global MotoGP and V8 Supercar race series starting in 2013. The recent announcement of an annual Formula One race in New Jersey is a concern, as additional races have the potential to reduce the number of attendees to a Texas race, thereby decreasing the economic impact. Additionally, the reports of a slowdown in construction at the Circuit of the Americas, and recently publicized disagreements between the race rights-holder and the circuit developers have prompted speculation about whether the Austin race will even occur. The ongoing controversies are a concern and we will continue to monitor them. Let me state clearly: We have not paid out any money for the Formula One event. The only dollars that can be spent on the United States Grand Prix are tax revenues attributable to the successful running of a race. The state of Texas will not be paying any funds in advance of the event. Further, as is the case with all METF events, each application will be reviewed and analyzed for its likely economic impact and only after the race occurs would any funds be disbursed. If an METF application is submitted, it will be thoroughly vetted and economic impact data scrutinized based on the actual circumstances for that event. Ultimately, I am responsible for protecting the interests of Texas taxpayers, first and foremost. I will not allow taxpayer dollars to be placed at risk. My position on that has not changed.”

Blaming the New Jersey event sounds like a politician looking for excuses, as it is clear that the intention of having more than one race in the US is intended to help both. They are so far apart that ticket sales will barely be affected and the fact that there are two events will create more buzz. Thus, one must conclude that Combs is trying to force the issue, probably to get Hellmund to sign over the race contract to the circuit owners. The fact is that both sides need the other. Hellmund is committed to paying Ecclestone for the race; but he needs a circuit on which to run the race. The circuit owners have sunk large sums into construction and are not going to walk away. The way forward is thus to sort out the mess by getting the circuit and the contract under the control of the same person.

Combs’ statement has been followed by an announcement that construction of the project is suspended “until a contract assuring the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix will be held at Circuit of The Americas in 2012 is complete. The race contract between Formula One and Circuit of The Americas has not been conveyed to Circuit of The Americas per a previously agreed upon timetable”.

While construction at Circuit of The Americas has progressed as scheduled with over 300 workers at the construction site daily, all work will suspend immediately. The delivery of the Formula One Grand Prix race contract will allow construction operations to resume.

“We have spent tremendous resources preparing for the F1 and MotoGP Championship races, but the failure to deliver race contracts gives us great concern,” said Bobby Epstein, founding partner of Circuit of The Americas. “We believe the United States is vital for the future of F1 and its teams and sponsors. Given the purpose-built Tilke design, creating a unique fan experience and iconic challenge for drivers, we hope that Texas will not be left behind. More than 100,000 fans have expressed an interest in purchasing tickets for Formula One alone.”

“It is in the best interest of all parties to reach a timely resolution,” said Red McCombs, chairman of McCombs Enterprises and founding partner of Circuit of The Americas. “Local businesses, fans and the State of Texas are counting on us.”

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    The latest news is that Bernie Ecclestone will scrap the Austin F1 race november 2012 off the calendar.
    So New Jersey wins by default?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

So New Jersey wins by default?
    I'll be surprised if this even happens. It should be easier to shoot this race down than Texas, but at least we know that no political party in the USA is good. Republicans and the Democrats are both massive snakes in the grass, none better than the other.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast