Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aloha ... Lets talk pipes!!

Aloha!!

I finally decided to register to this forum. I must say … a lot of good tech info here and a lot of sick project to read about. I especially love the off topic chick thread Click here to enlarge

I drive a supercharged E90 M3 and I’m currently messing around with different X-pipe set ups. I’m running a full Ericsson system that has (2) 100 cell cats and (4) resonators. I first thought that running without cats would be loud and stink but now I’m thinking otherwise …

I may have a shop build me a X-pipe that will bolt up to my Ericsson system or I may save some money and get the Gintani X-pipe. Let me know what you got and how you like it …. Any info will be greatly appreciated Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Whose supercharger you rnning?

The Ericsson system is very nice and very expensive. Switching pipes to ditch cats since you only have 1 set of 100 cell cats is not going to gain you that much honestly.

A lot of people are happy with the Gintani X-pipe and it is worth taking a look.

I have a full custom Gintani exhaust and move from the RPI setup which I also recommend for its value.

Oh, and welcome, and glad to see you finally joined.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Whose supercharger you rnning?

The Ericsson system is very nice and very expensive. Switching pipes to ditch cats since you only have 1 set of 100 cell cats is not going to gain you that much honestly.

A lot of people are happy with the Gintani X-pipe and it is worth taking a look.

I have a full custom Gintani exhaust and move from the RPI setup which I also recommend for its value.

Oh, and welcome, and glad to see you finally joined.
    I have the ESS VT1 kit.

The Ericsson is a nice exhaust but I also have a Arqray Ti axle back system. No one here on the island wants to buy the Arqray system so I thought I'd pair it up with a X-Pipe.

I was going to pick up RPI's pipes because they were so cheap but I also wanted to try the Gintani pipes to see if the location of the "X" makes a big difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 808E90 Click here to enlarge
    I have the ESS VT1 kit.

The Ericsson is a nice exhaust but I also have a Arqray Ti axle back system. No one here on the island wants to buy the Arqray system so I thought I'd pair it up with a X-Pipe.

I was going to pick up RPI's pipes because they were so cheap but I also wanted to try the Gintani pipes to see if the location of the "X" makes a big difference.
    In my opinion, deleting the cats entirely is the most important factor. I would say we are splitting hairs over the location of the X.

Both products are great and have happy customers, it comes down to personal preference.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At first I wanted a system that wouldn't make the car loud or stink because my one year old son rides with me a lot. Now that I've heard the Ericsson I really wouldn't mind it being louder and as far as the smell ... Oh well to those in back of me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aloha! and welcome!
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    Aloha! and welcome!
    whats up man ... So how do you like your new Gintani exhaust?
    Do you still have the SC on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

At first I wanted a system that wouldn't make the car loud or stink because my one year old son rides with me a lot. Now that I've heard the Ericsson I really wouldn't mind it being louder and as far as the smell ... Oh well to those in back of me.
    Is your goal just power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is your goal just power?
    Yes ... I have that extra axle back system so I just wanted to see how much power a catless/resless pipe make on a SC car.

If its to loud I can always put the ericsson back on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Yes ... I have that extra axle back system so I just wanted to see how much power a catless/resless pipe make on a SC car.

If its to loud I can always put the ericsson back on.
    Honestly, if you want more power this is not the place you should be looking for it.

We are talking minimal gains and difference for the cost. You should only do it if you sell your current x-pipe.

You would be much happier going to a VT-2 setup than messing with the x-pipe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, if you want more power this is not the place you should be looking for it.

We are talking minimal gains and difference for the cost. You should only do it if you sell your current x-pipe.

You would be much happier going to a VT-2 setup than messing with the x-pipe.
    I saw a dyno sheet where a guy went with a Ginatni x-pipe on got some pretty nice numbers with his SC set up (i think it was Drew). I know a lot of NA cars made huge gains too.

I'll be doing the jump to the VT2 soon ... I hope.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I saw a dyno sheet where a guy went with a Ginatni x-pipe on got some pretty nice numbers with his SC set up (i think it was Drew). I know a lot of NA cars made huge gains too.

I'll be doing the jump to the VT2 soon ... I hope.
    Drew's setup was more restrictive than yours.

I'm just trying to help you from being disappointed, ditching 100 cell cats really won't do as much as you think. If you want to do it, by all means, the Gintani X-pipe is a great pipe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drew's setup was more restrictive than yours.

I'm just trying to help you from being disappointed, ditching 100 cell cats really won't do as much as you think. If you want to do it, by all means, the Gintani X-pipe is a great pipe.
    Good point ... I didn't even think to look at what type of X-pipes he went from.

Please don't get me wrong I appreciate your advise Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

whats up man ... So how do you like your new Gintani exhaust?
    Do you still have the SC on?
    Love the exhaust! the car felt faster!

but now I am doing something else to my car so currently its at the shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good point ... I didn't even think to look at what type of X-pipes he went from.

Please don't get me wrong I appreciate your advise Click here to enlarge
    I think Sticky is right in some aspects of the 100Cel thing.

but it also really depends how much money you want to spend. To me I think the 100Cel is way more restrictive then a stock rear muffler.
    so if your not look to spend too much I would got with the x-pipe first. then the VT2 because your going to do both anyways.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well ... My Gintani X-pipe just came in and I'll be putting it on friday and hope to get some dyno runs done right after.

I'll let you all know if the location of the "X" and 100 cell cat really make a difference ...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Well ... My Gintani X-pipe just came in and I'll be putting it on friday and hope to get some dyno runs done right after.

I'll let you all know if the location of the "X" and 100 cell cat really make a difference ...
    Couldn't resist making the switch eh? Take some pics of the pipe please just to show the packaging and its condition when it arrived. You don't have to, but would be nice.

We look forward to your dynos/impressions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

NICE, I felt it on my butt dyno, but my car is cattless

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

welcome and congrats on the new pipes! someone with ESS and Gintani, you should change your name to Martin Luther King!
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couldn't resist making the switch eh? Take some pics of the pipe please just to show the packaging and its condition when it arrived. You don't have to, but would be nice.

We look forward to your dynos/impressions.
    Sure will ... Took me 15 minutes just to unwrap it.

Do you have a Vendor review section? I'll have a review up as soon as I get it on and get a few runs in.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    NICE, I felt it on my butt dyno, but my car is cattless
    I went with the catless pipe too Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammyrusso Click here to enlarge
    welcome and congrats on the new pipes! someone with ESS and Gintani, you should change your name to Martin Luther King!
    Click here to enlargeIts all about what works for me ... I don't care much about this ESS vs Gintani stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Good! thats what im talking about!
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Sure will ... Took me 15 minutes just to unwrap it.

Do you have a Vendor review section? I'll have a review up as soon as I get it on and get a few runs in.

I went with the catless pipe too Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlargeIts all about what works for me ... I don't care much about this ESS vs Gintani stuff.
    Yes, vendor review section was recently added: http://www.bimmerboost.com/forumdisp...Vendor-Reviews

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Well ... The X-pipe is on and install was a cake like any other x-pipe. The x-pipe came with gaskets and new bolts for both the header flange and the x-pipe flange. The welds on the x-pipe are really clean. I did run into one problem ... as I was driving home I got a vibration noise from the front end of the car. I think its the O2s hitting the heat shield. I paired this x-pipe with my old Arqray Ti system that I had prior to my Ericsson system.

I thought that the system would be crazy loud but it wasn’t that bad. I’m not sure about the drone because I didn’t really get a chance to drive far enough to hold it at one RPM level for a long time. I guess I’ll report back once I get a chance to drive to the other side of the island. I didn’t get a chance to strap the car on a dyno but I will next week. I should have some dyno graphs up soon.

BTW ... I'll ask here because there are more Ginatni guys on this forum. Did you guys have to cut bend the heat shield by the top O2? It looked like it would clear but I may be wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Well ... The X-pipe is on and install was a cake like any other x-pipe. The x-pipe came with gaskets and new bolts for both the header flange and the x-pipe flange. The welds on the x-pipe are really clean. I did run into one problem ... as I was driving home I got a vibration noise from the front end of the car. I think its the O2s hitting the heat shield. I paired this x-pipe with my old Arqray Ti system that I had prior to my Ericsson system.

I thought that the system would be crazy loud but it wasnít that bad. Iím not sure about the drone because I didnít really get a chance to drive far enough to hold it at one RPM level for a long time. I guess Iíll report back once I get a chance to drive to the other side of the island. I didnít get a chance to strap the car on a dyno but I will next week. I should have some dyno graphs up soon.

BTW ... I'll ask here because there are more Ginatni guys on this forum. Did you guys have to cut bend the heat shield by the top O2? It looked like it would clear but I may be wrong.
    its a straight bolt on! nothing needed cutting.

how did you butt meter feel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I thought that the system would be crazy loud but it wasn’t that bad. I’m not sure about the drone because I didn’t really get a chance to drive far enough to hold it at one RPM level for a long time. I guess I’ll report back once I get a chance to drive to the other side of the island. I didn’t get a chance to strap the car on a dyno but I will next week. I should have some dyno graphs up soon.

Any pictures?

As Eugene said, I don't believe you need to cut anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast