Close

Thread: Direct Port Meth Setup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Direct Port Meth Setup

Sorry if you have already seen this thread on one of the other forums, but if you haven't please post your thoughts/opinions/criticisms. Thanks!

I wanted to share some pics of a project I have been working on in my spare time for a few weeks now. I have seen other setups like this utilizing the stock composite intake manifold on boosted applications, many of which held up very well to the pressures they were subjected to.

For those with questions on what kind of methods I used to fabricate this setup, it is basically a lot of patience and some steel impregnated super high strength epoxy. Setting the angles requires a drill press and patience. I also did not just go drilling willy-nilly, every injector is at the precise placement (in my opinion) for proper atomization before entering the cylinder.

I feel this is the only way to make sure every cylinder gets the proper benefits from methanol injection. Also it should help clean up the gunk that likes to accumulate on the intake valves. I plan on installing just the manifold with plugs in the injector bungs to make sure there are no leaks and to be sure everything will be good with boost, but I really have no worries about it holding together.

I will be running 2 pumps to 2 distribution blocks. 1 pump per 3 cylinders of course, supplying 3 250cc injectors. I plan on bridging the distribution blocks so the pressure will be equal to all 6 cylinders and thus make sure every cylinder is getting the same pressure and thus volume of methanol/water.

I will be purchasing the pumps/rest of the setup soon and will post up results. Let me know what you think!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cool dude. Looks nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

I was going to post this, glad to see you did it.

Very, very nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what benefit is this over lets say injecting into the charge pipe / tube / area... just more standardized flow to all the cylinders? Anything else?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by joshj84 Click here to enlarge
    So what benefit is this over lets say injecting into the charge pipe / tube / area... just more standardized flow to all the cylinders? Anything else?
    Even distribution which is kind of a big deal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This does not cool the air charge very much but yes it does help with equal distribution. I am going for more of a fueling upgrade instead of cooling the air charge. I might run another m5 nozzle before the AIT sensor to help cool the charge a little, and running a shot of nitrous before the AIT will help too.

But yes running a lot of methanol pre-TB does not assure that every cylinder is getting equal amounts of methanol. Since I am going for big power I want to make sure every cylinder has sufficient fuel to keep from things going "wrong".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It's a Pretty nice setup but that's the easy part. 2 or 3 or 6 solenoids wired to 1 or 2 pumps sounds like a hell of a lot of points of failure. I'd definitely run stainless lines and make a super rugged setup with the 6 direct port nozzles. It'll b tough to find the correct nozzle size and meth concentration to avoid bogging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah okay! See I was curious what the motivation was behind doing a setup like this so that explanation helps out on the reasoning.

I understand that the even distribution is a big deal but I didn't understand what prompted this till now.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jb's335 Click here to enlarge
    This does not cool the air charge very much but yes it does help with equal distribution. I am going for more of a fueling upgrade instead of cooling the air charge. I might run another m5 nozzle before the AIT sensor to help cool the charge a little, and running a shot of nitrous before the AIT will help too.

But yes running a lot of methanol pre-TB does not assure that every cylinder is getting equal amounts of methanol. Since I am going for big power I want to make sure every cylinder has sufficient fuel to keep from things going "wrong".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Its obvious we are running out of fuel, so I decided to up the ante. I do not have the expertise to create an entire standalone fuel rail with actual gasoline. By using methanol it is a lot easier. It is not nearly as precise as an actual fuel rail but it is a start...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jb's335 Click here to enlarge
    Its obvious we are running out of fuel, so I decided to up the ante. I do not have the expertise to create an entire standalone fuel rail with actual gasoline. By using methanol it is a lot easier. It is not nearly as precise as an actual fuel rail but it is a start...
    great work man, keep it up...let us know how it goes for sure
    Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuningfreaks.com