Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Naa, but for some reason it seems logical to me that people would taste like bacon and beef all mixed up.
    http://www.wired.com/table_of_malcon...bot_identifie/

"But when some smart aleck reporter placed his hand in the robotís omnivorous clanking jaw, he was identified as bacon. A cameraman then tried and was identified as prosciutto".
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

You guys are killing the burger thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Went to two burger places over the weekend in Dallas:

"Steak 'N Shake" and "In-and-out"

I got the chipotle spicy burger at steak n shake and it was damn good! Alot of flavor in that!

The in and out burger was meh...not something outstanding I'd say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Meh?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I got the chipotle spicy burger at steak n shake and it was damn good! Alot of flavor in that!

Steak-n-Shake is my fave of the franchise burgers. But i like skinny burgers cuz i like 'em well done. The meat is the tastiest too i think. When you put tons of non-meat stuff on or in a burger it may be a Flavour Fiesta, but what the beef itself tastes like seems like it would be harder to tell and what you're really judging is the recipe more than the meat itself.

I still say Jack's FTW in that dept, and anyone who stops by to couch-surf will for sure be given the chance to prove me wrong! It's an hour-ish away but i'll use almost any excuse to go there. We'll go to Revere in Pompano and shoot some paper, then over to Jack's for a nice repast.

Oh, and for the condiment crowd they have a full relish bar, and lettuce and tomato - if requested - come in their own ziplocs for freshness.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

On food network they recently named Holeman and Finch here in Atlanta as having the best burger in the US and being a regular there I'd have to agree. If anyone ever comes to ATL I would suggest you make a trip there and see if your lucky enough to get one of the 24 burgers they make every night. On sundays for brunch they make unlimited amounts of burgers and trust me when I tell you theres usually a 1.5 to 2 hour line to get a table.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I like Steak&Shake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Only flaw; All that yellow stuff.. Not real Cheese. Something like 15% dairy, rest is petroleum product. I have lots of friends who work for INO and they don't eat the cheese.

Click here to enlarge 100x100

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...aste-test.html
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Only flaw; All that yellow stuff.. Not real Cheese. Something like 15% dairy, rest is petroleum product. I have lots of friends who work for INO and they don't eat the cheese.

Click here to enlarge 100x100

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...aste-test.html
    100x100, nice!!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    On food network they recently named Holeman and Finch here in Atlanta as having the best burger in the US and being a regular there I'd have to agree. If anyone ever comes to ATL I would suggest you make a trip there and see if your lucky enough to get one of the 24 burgers they make every night. On sundays for brunch they make unlimited amounts of burgers and trust me when I tell you theres usually a 1.5 to 2 hour line to get a table.
    That's a serious endorsement! Sounds like they know what they've got too.. if i ever visit TRM i'll definitely go there.

I went to Hamburger Heaven here in Palm Beach recently which is supposed to be all that, and it was pretty good but not swoon-worthy. And tight booths ill-suited to the typical burger freak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I don't understand why they only make 24 burgers a night, why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The Steak 'N Shake burgers are pretty damn good but they are a commercial/chain version of the classic steak burger which started in the mid west not far from my farm in Missouri. Here is one of the best burgers I've ever had in my life.

http://sgfdinersanddives.wordpress.c...er-restaurant/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand why they only make 24 burgers a night, why?
    The owner is a very good chef and he has another restaurant which is also very good. H&F is more of a labor of love where they cook pretty daring things(veal brains are one of the most popular dishes) but he says if he made unlimited burgers that's all people would order and that is boring for him. So they cook just 24 but everything is made in house from the bread thru to the ketchup and mustard. The burgers are so damn juicy and good though. When I go I usually get there around 8 to make sure I get a burger(he cooks the 24 at 10pm everynight) and eat a bunch of appetizers and have drinks until 10pm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The owner is a very good chef and he has another restaurant which is also very good. H&F is more of a labor of love where they cook pretty daring things(veal brains are one of the most popular dishes) but he says if he made unlimited burgers that's all people would order and that is boring for him. So they cook just 24 but everything is made in house from the bread thru to the ketchup and mustard. The burgers are so damn juicy and good though. When I go I usually get there around 8 to make sure I get a burger(he cooks the 24 at 10pm everynight) and eat a bunch of appetizers and have drinks until 10pm.
    Adding this to my list of to do's. Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    http://www.wired.com/table_of_malcon...bot_identifie/

"But when some smart aleck reporter placed his hand in the robotís omnivorous clanking jaw, he was identified as bacon. A cameraman then tried and was identified as prosciutto".
    Well there you go! ...but I found this to be pretty weird while reading- ". Like cows, once robots taste blood, their hunger for human flesh can never be satiated." Like cows?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Well there you go! ...but I found this to be pretty weird while reading- ". Like cows, once robots taste blood, their hunger for human flesh can never be satiated." Like cows?
    YES!! Don't you remember the rash of milkmaid maulings in Hamburg back in 1800's? It was then that the stunned humans realised these animals must be eaten in mass quantities on a global basis basis OR ELSE, thus the Hamburger was conceived as the ultimate survival measure.. IT'S US OR THEM!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Do you think he'd reject an order for one plain and well done from someone who judges the meat and not the recipe? My order definitely wouldn't meet his criteria of being fulfilling for himself to make so i might not qualify. Infact most "fancy" places pride themselves on their "secret seasonings" which they put right in the meat so "plain" doesn't really exist and i end up getting the check and hitting BK and tossing the "gourmet creation" to the first dog or cat i see.

I went to a place in Seattle once, a takeout-only place on Capitol Hill that had a fanatical following for its burgers and the owner was a primadonna who only made them the way he felt they were meant to be eaten (with the works) and refused to sell them any other way. It wasn't because special orders took more time (it was a fast-food place), it was a purist thing. I begged the woman at the window to simply take one of the cooked patties that was waiting to be gooed-up, put it on a bun and hand it to me - i was so starving i even offered to slip her 10 bucks to do it but she said she'd lose her job, and told me of the boss's trip, which i had to respect as i'm a "no requests" primadonna dj who'd wash dishes before compromising my art, but it sucked cuz it was the only burger joint in walking distance! It was like what my HELL would be like - yummy burgers, all slathered in crap i hate! Or worse yet "plain" ones that look like what i want but have seasoning in the meat, with the Hell waitress saying, "what are you talking about, it IS plain!". ::shudder::

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    Do you think he'd reject an order for one plain and well done from someone who judges the meat and not the recipe? My order definitely wouldn't meet his criteria of being fulfilling for himself to make so i might not qualify. Infact most "fancy" places pride themselves on their "secret seasonings" which they put right in the meat so "plain" doesn't really exist and i end up getting the check and hitting BK and tossing the "gourmet creation" to the first dog or cat i see.

I went to a place in Seattle once, a takeout-only place on Capitol Hill that had a fanatical following for its burgers and the owner was a primadonna who only made them the way he felt they were meant to be eaten (with the works) and refused to sell them any other way. It wasn't because special orders took more time (it was a fast-food place), it was a purist thing. I begged the woman at the window to simply take one of the cooked patties that was waiting to be gooed-up, put it on a bun and hand it to me - i was so starving i even offered to slip her 10 bucks to do it but she said she'd lose her job, and told me of the boss's trip, which i had to respect as i'm a "no requests" primadonna dj who'd wash dishes before compromising my art, but it sucked cuz it was the only burger joint in walking distance! It was like what my HELL would be like - yummy burgers, all slathered in crap i hate! Or worse yet "plain" ones that look like what i want but have seasoning in the meat, with the Hell waitress saying, "what are you talking about, it IS plain!". ::shudder::
    Well I don't know if they'd give you just the meat but tbh I hope not. What a waste! If you go for brunch on Sunday when they don't place a limit on the # then probably. Still if all you want is meat with no seasoning or anything at all why not just buy ground sirloin from the grocery store? Everyone has their preferences so u should get what you want but also remember a great chef IS an artist and I for one can understand why they wouldn't want to indulge your request. After all as you said BK or Wendy's will be happy to give you what you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well I don't know if they'd give you just the meat but tbh I hope not. What a waste! If you go for brunch on Sunday when they don't place a limit on the # then probably. Still if all you want is meat with no seasoning or anything at all why not just buy ground sirloin from the grocery store? Everyone has their preferences so u should get what you want but also remember a great chef IS an artist and I for one can understand why they wouldn't want to indulge your request. After all as you said BK or Wendy's will be happy to give you what you want.
    Well one person's "waste" is another's perfection and vice versa (as is one person's "danceable"); that said i do respect art (how could i not?) as well as private property so he can run his show however he wants as i do mine, but to answer your question:

The reason is meat type and quality, as i explained in detail in my Jack's post right down to giving the exact cut of beef they use - which they advertise because they're as proud of that as any spice-happy queen is of the adulterants in their 5-star tude-burger! (saying that in the spirit of good-natured brand rivalry but.. yeah!).

As to the "why not make it at home?" question, to use Jack's again as an example, even though they sell their inner-round brisket meat to take home for picnics and such, it doesn't taste the same when made elsewhere, leading to my comment "the magic must be in the grille" - the grease, the temp, whatever it is (they even disclose the grille temp, almost defying you to duplicate the result at home) but it makes the eat-in product unique enough for me to drive an hour just to experience it as opposed to "just going to BK", so i daresay my connoisseur creds are intact even if we have different measures of excellence.

Steak-n-Shake also (to me) blows away any burger i've ever been able to make at home no matter how much i spend on the meat. I always get Sirloin, doesn't matter. It's good, but not Jack's or SnS good. I'm guessing it's the tried-and-true blue-collar recipe of "greasy grille" Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The in-and-out burger looks good but the taste wasn't as good as the steak-n-shake as far as my taste buds were concerned.

I also like the double-patty cheese-burger from five guys. Those jalapenos (fresh) add a damn good taste!

p.s. it usually does look like this:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The in-and-out burger looks good but the taste wasn't as good as the steak-n-shake as far as my taste buds were concerned.

I also like the double-patty cheese-burger from five guys. Those jalapenos (fresh) add a damn good taste!

p.s. it usually does look like this:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...fiveguys-1.jpg
    That looks like it needs onna those cartoon-style mouth jacks to take a bite Click here to enlarge

Not a toppings person but that tomato and lettuce look pretty crisp and makes me figure the meat's probably good too. Never had INO or Five Guys but hear good things about them. Don't think they're in my area.

I think Carl's Jr is an ok franchise burger, had many of them in Monterey last year. I'd rate them my second-fave franchise burger behind Steak-n-Shake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wait a second, you don't have a Carl's Jr with in walking distance of your home or work?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Carl's is the best franchise / fast food style burger IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Wait a second, you don't have a Carl's Jr with in walking distance of your home or work?
    Hehe no.. we do have them on the east coast but they're called Hardee's here and aren't as prolific as Carl's is out in Cali. I was staying in Seaside on Fremont ave and could walk from the motel, it was awesome. And i haven't seen an INO or Five Guys here (palm beach fl) yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

This thread started out so good..... but I agree with Sticky, some of the comments have killed it a little for me Click here to enlarge

Anyways, I was going to mention that "The Counter" makes really great burgers as well.... 100% custom as you can choose from all kinds of exotic toppings, cheese, bread, etc....

Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast