Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

how long does it take?? Engine swap

dropped my car off at the mechanic in staten island on september 27th to have them swap the engine out with one from a 99 328is with 42k miles, and also have them fix the sunroof...the car is still there and for the last 2 weeks each day i would call and ask if i should come get it...they say no it'll be done tomorrow every single time i ask...they've had the engine in for awhile and test driven it but are waiting on a guy to program the engine to the car but that was suppose to be done yesterday...and nope not done, now they say they had to order more parts for the sunroof so that wont be done till next week and thats what was said when i called last monday...i'm glad this is a fixed cost but this is driving me crazy on the wait...its a friend of my dads shop or something...is it me or are they taking there sweet time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! man that stinks, I hate waiting on shops. Working at a dealership and knowing how much time can be spent on the smallest things I would say they seem to be trying but defiantly not rushing to get your car done. I don't know how many parts or how much labor is involved with your swap but I wouldn't rush them because maybe they are doing their best and it is just out of their control; delivery of parts might actually be delayed, ect. I know it sucks but just wait it out and in a week or so I'm sure you'll get a nice update. Sorry if I was no help just wasting time.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no the engines been done for awhile the swap was simple no parts were needed, made sure lol, i can only hope itll be done they said the sunroof should be done monday, they even said there gonna call me...yesterday when the guy programs the engine in so i can come by and use the car and drop it back off this coming monday but no call, and they've never given me an update once for anything lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    your from ob? i am also, i just pulled my motor it took 4 hours with me taking my time. what shop is it at?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    smp on staten island...and i just called them and it wont be done this coming monday either...shoot me cuz i'll be gone from the 25th-15th, i called and the guy had no idea just new they were still working on the engine..and its about to be a month they've had the car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and ya been living here for a couple months now, was down in westville over by cherry hill/deptford area

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else any input on how long a motor swap should take?

@Matt@Camber-Toe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wish they finished it tomorrow but they said no, and i wont be here from the 25th-15th so guess the car is gonna have to sit there at there garage? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    well technically if it was a drop in motor, what was different than the one that was already in there?

It shouldnt have taken anymore than 2 days tops. If they had to code the engine to the car then thats a different story, but I havent heard of that too often.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    well technically if it was a drop in motor, what was different than the one that was already in there?

It shouldnt have taken anymore than 2 days tops. If they had to code the engine to the car then thats a different story, but I havent heard of that too often.
    nope there both the same m52b28 engine would that need even need to be programmed? the engine is just one year newer then the previous m52b28

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea what is getting "coded" it should be a straight swap, i think they're just buying time because of stupid mistakes most likely. i would say 10 hours for the swap
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hellrot98m3 Click here to enlarge
    yea what is getting "coded" it should be a straight swap, i think they're just buying time because of stupid mistakes most likely. i would say 10 hours for the swap
    3+ weeks is alot of damn mistakes lol there doing the sunroof to but they've had the car a week before they had then engine so they had a month of time to take care of it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    just got back from seeing the car, there having someone from bmw to come in and take a look it kicks hard when started but runs smooth right after

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hopefully it'll be done tomorrow, or i my die if it takes any longer...they took the car over friday and the guy was suppose to check it out saturday...
    Click here to enlarge

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SEXY BEAUTY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skorger Click here to enlarge
    hopefully it'll be done tomorrow, or i my die if it takes any longer...they took the car over friday and the guy was suppose to check it out saturday...
    take pictures of the process so i can rep you
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    take pictures of the process so i can rep you
    i should have last monday i forgot, and i would have made a video on youtube so you can see the starting problem
    Click here to enlarge

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SEXY BEAUTY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^